Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Violently, Viciously Ill page

ikaika is offline Senior Member

Violently, Viciously Ill

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    This morning, I wake up weak and trembling from the worst sickness of my life. It wasn't a virus, I believe, but some kind of food poisoning-- but I only eat what I make, so I'm not sure what had happened. Sunday night I didn't really feel like eating (I know in primal circles that's not a big deal-- but really, for me, thats pretty significant) and throughout that day (since I was at work) I ate mostly nuts. I felt a little bit off... and I went to bed. When I woke up, I felt normal, showered, milled around online, pondered trying another 24 hour fast, and began to study... and then the nausea set in. It wasn't so much stomach pain than just the urge to throw up. I HATE throwing up, but it seemed like I needed to... so I tried. No va. Sparing you the grimey details, it just got worse and worse through the day until the sun went down and I fell asleep on the floor. I mean, it was really, really, really bad. At some point a friend stopped by with some ginger kombucha and a vitamin water and I sipped on those. I'm not even sure if I'm better, but I'm afraid to ingest ANYTHING. Even now I'm sipping on the rest of that vitamin water and my lower intestine is heavy feeling and gurgling. My body ran out of anything but liquid long ago... At around 10pm, in an attempt to eat something solid, I had about 3 inches of banana.

Anyone else ever been this severely consumed by a sickness?

Meggilizz is offline Senior Member
    What did you eat on Sunday during the day?
    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Mostly nuts, to be honest. I started the day off with some eggs that I felt fine about. I wasn't very hungry from lunch on that day.

Oddly, when I was deliriously sick, I started craving the weirdest, junkiest foods-- I mean a real honest craving for them, they would just jump into my head. Its not like I used to believe in them during sickness or something. They were all sugar-carbs. Steamed white chinese custard buns. Plain steamed buns. Cracker jacks (i don't even know if i've ever had cracker jacks!). Peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Sugar cookies. Mochi. Daifuku. I wanted a big bowl-- a full can, two servings-- of freaking Spaggeti-o's. I don't get it! I didn't ever eat that kind of thing, even before primal, except when I was a child-- and CERTAINLY not when I was sick!

Mac
    Mac is offline Senior Member
    Yes...exactly the same thing happened to me last year (minus the weird cravings). I chalked it up to food poisoning.

Jedi is offline Member
    Rancid nuts maybe? I ate one bad chestnut once and had violent food poisoning from it

sleepy girl is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ikaika View Post
    Mostly nuts, to be honest. I started the day off with some eggs that I felt fine about.
    The egg threw a red flag for me. One day last year I had some hard boiled eggs for breakfast and about half way through breakfast I got this feeling like I just needed to stop eating. Everything tasted fine, but I started to get this feeling in my stomach like something wasn't right. I ate a few more bites anyway and I really started to get a signal, just a feeling, that something wasn't ok. Sure enough about 40 minutes later I started throwing up and threw up for hours. Sparing everyone the details, it was truly horrible. All I could do while recovering was hold an ice chip in my mouth and even that was dicey. I've only had food poisoning one time before in my life and that was from undercooked meat in a home ec. class in high school. I know you said you didn't suspect the eggs, but I probably would.

KestrelSF is offline Senior Member
    Something I would suggest: if you are still having bad stomach problems after a day or so, you really need to go see your doctor to find out what is going on from some one that can actually examine you and do tests. While folks here do give a lot of good advice and it is true that doctors can be misguided by conventional wisdom myths, if you really have a serious problem, you need to get a 'trained professional' as they say to look at you.

I was having bad stomach pains 2 years ago and kept putting off getting it looked at and it turned out to be gallstones which had to be removed.

Thanks, guys. And thanks KestrelSF. That's great advice. I'm feeling more steady-- enough to clean my kitchen up-- and possibly am going to make a trip to Walgreens to get some kind of lysol or something. I'm still not hungry and if the stomach grumbles continue on past noon I'm going to have to call a doctor. The problem is, 'my' doctor is about an hour and a half away, so I'll have to deal with the mess that comes with going where you haven't gone before.

-写

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    There is a stomach virus going around, at least here in the Dallas area.

dfast is offline Member
    I was ill two weeks ago - on the Monday didn't feel particularly hungry but forced myself to eat anyway. Woke up on Tuesday with severe lower back pain and aches all over. Wednesday afternoon my stomach started gurgling and I was very bloated. Didn't eat after that until the Saturday morning. The whole time I felt like I was *about* to throw up (I didn't, just severe...other stuff). Sounds similar?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast