Thread: Breath Walking page

Nigel is offline Senior Member

Breath Walking

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I was stumbling around the interweb today and came across "breath walking." There's a five minute video HERE.

The basic premise is that one should take a breath in through the nose in four equal parts and then breath it out through the mouth, again in four equal parts, all done in time to the walking pace. A study at MIT states that this has health benefits. The idea is based on a Yoga system. One addition to the breathing and walking is to touch each finger of the hand to the thumb in time to the breathing to stimulate accupressure points. If that isn't enough for us men who don't multi task, Tony Robbins recommends chanting in time too. "I love my wife, I love my life. I am haa-pee" and motivational stuff. I am presuming one can chant quietly so as not to get locked up for being a nutter, although it does have to be verbalised and not just thought about.

You're supposed to get straight up and do this first thing in the morning as part of a new lifestyle routine. The medical evidence that I have found so far is positive so I shall be giving breath walking a go whenever I walk anywhere. I won't get up and do it straight away as I have to take my wife a cup of tea in bed.....

Anybody else prepared to try it?
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    A succinct answer. Thank you!
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Lol. Naw, man. I already over-think every muscular contraction in my body. The last thing I need is to be seen mumbling and stimming while pacing up and down my street.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    Anybody else prepared to try it?
    Ever heard of Wim Hof? Wim Hof - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He credits much of his success to breathing techniques he learned from Tibetan monks. His technique is to take in about 30 deep breaths, blowing out slowly, then on the last breath exhale completely and hold as long as possible. Then take in a deep breath and hold about 10 seconds before resuming normal breathing.

I have incorporated a similar technique. I walk about 3-5 miles a day in 15-30 minute increments (30-60 min total daily), on these walks, I start out by taking in 10 deep breaths, breathing out slowly, like blowing up a baloon. After the last breath, I exhale and hold for as many steps as I can take. Then a few minutes later, I do the same thing, but hold after inhaling on the last breath and hold for as many steps as I can.

When I started this over a year ago, on the exhale cycle I could only go about 10 steps, now I'm at 30-40. On the inhale cycle, I could only hold about 20 steps, now I'm up to 75-90.

There are many proven health benefits to limited exposure to hypoxia. Is hypoxia training good for mus... [Prog Cardiovasc Dis. 2010 May-Jun] - PubMed - NCBI

I've applied these ideas in a broad stroke, by simply not inhaling until I really need to. I spend much time (ALL my time in the Microbiology lab when forced to sit and set up plates!) having simply exhaled and waiting for the CO2 bell to ding-a-ling. Once it becomes a complicated routine, I'll divorce it to favor simplicity. As of now, I have a life-long habit deeply ingrained of only breathing when I really feel the need. Benefit attained as far as I'm concerned.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I'd fall and break something if I was trying to coordinate all of that other stuff.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Ever heard of Wim Hof?
    I have now! The little bit of reading I did this afternoon shows there are number of different breathing techniques. I'll have a bash at this walking, breathing, finger touching whilst talking to myself thingy and see how I get on. If Knifegill keeps up his method and stays with us long enough, I'll post any results.

Man, that would be a complicated experiment to run. Sets of animals breathing less than others, etc.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug: