Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat/Testosterone connection. page

SpearCarrier is offline Member

Squat/Testosterone connection.

Okay, I am really confused.

Basically I have been squatting heavy first thing in the morning after a nice pint of water with glutamine. I don't eat anything as I heard this increases growth hormone and testosterone levels. I am not asking about the validity of this as it feels pretty amazing even if it doesn't have these proposed benefits.

The question is:
    Do I need to eat my first meal pretty soon after to avoid using muscle as fuel? Some people say not to eat after exercise so you can completely benefit from the growth hormone release - which is why I didn't want to eat anything for a while... but, because the squats are heavy, I also don't want to miss out on muscle growth and definitely don't want to use muscle.

I only eat between 12pm-8pm and normally do the squats upon waking, which is at about 8am. I could eat some coconut oil and have some bcaa's after the squats, but I am still not sure if this is effecting the fast or not, the jury is still out on that one.

I know a lot of you will say I am "over-thinking" things, but that is my nature, so please let me over-think lol. I will be very grateful if we could discuss this and sort this problem out.

I do also do a lot more exercise, but I do the bulk of that before my evening meal (which I eat my ONLY carb source of the day, a large sweet potato). I don't want to be eating carbs after the squats because I don't eat them before evening, even if it does turn out that I need to eat after them.

Thanks.

EDIT: I forgot to add that I recently read that if you squat first thing in the morning without any food then the body panics and floods the body with testosterone and stuff, but it never mentioned how long this process takes and if it is interrupted by post-exercise nutrition...
    Last edited by SpearCarrier; 01-07-2013 at 03:08 AM.

I apologize for the poor readability of the above post and please forgive any confusion - I am tired today

feren6 is offline Member
    Doing squats first thing in the morning, while fasted, is perfectly fine. Just consume 10g BCAAs before you workout to prevent muscle catabolism. And yes, fasting has all sorts of health benefits..namely increased insulin sensitivity and focus during the fasting period.

There's no significant difference between eating right after your squats and waiting 30-60 minutes after your squats. Now, if you squat and you won't be eating for a couple hours, make sure you consume BCAAs every 2 hours until you do eat.

Your coconut oil consumption is not affecting anything.

ecole66 is offline Senior Member
    Phil Campbell say's that studies show that an insulin spike will stop exercise induced HGH release. You should be fine eating a meal as long as you avoid carbs for a few hours after your workout. This of course will vary from person to person based on their level of insulin resistance and metabolism.

Thanks guys

I have been doing some (over)thinking again and wondered if taking bcaa either before, during or after the squats could possibly interupt the beneficial testosterone/growth hormone release? I thought the reason why the body flooded with testosterone and growth hormone was because the body panics that there isn't any fuel/amino acids and tries to counteract it by releasing vital hormones.

If this IS the case then there is too many variables for me to weigh up, and my head will soon explode lol.

For now, while I eagerly await your responses - I will do my squats (after my green tea), wait 30 minutes and then have 5 grams of bcaa (I am quite small, don't need as much as most I don't think)... 2 hours later I will have some coconut oil with 5 more grams of bcaa - and then soon after I will break fast and continue with the daily diet. Surely I won't suffer muscle-loss during the workout and the 30 minutes after?

Thanks for anyone who can tolerate my posts. It is greatly appreciated.

mooreallty is offline Junior Member
    good idea,This of course will vary from person to person based on their level of insulin resistance and metabolism.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpearCarrier View Post
    I have been doing some (over)thinking...
    If this IS the case then there is too many variables for me to weigh up, and my head will soon explode lol...
    Thanks for anyone who can tolerate my posts. It is greatly appreciated.
    At least you recognize the problem

Squat heavy, eat Primal, and your T-levels should end up way better than if you didn't.
    Don't worry about these minutiae. Chronic stress will do more to inhibit hormonal normalcy than lifting fasted or mis-timing meals will.

Dan Pope is offline Junior Member
    In my opinion the whole testosterone and growth hormone boosting thing can sometime fly straight in the face of your goals. I've been a victim of this. Squats will increase testosterone levels albeit marginally and whether or not this will actually lead to anything fruitful (less bodyfat more muscle) is debateable. I wrote an article about this from the Guidelines from the national strength and conditioning association: Fact or Fiction? Will Heavy Squats Make Me Produce More Testosterone? | FITNESS PAIN FREE

If your goal is strength I would train the squat later in the day and after I had a few meals in my system. That way you'll make consistent gains in strength over time that will carry over to more muscle.

I always feels that not eating/fasting will be great for fat loss but if your goal is to get stronger and build some muscle it flies directly in the face of your goals.

It's my personal opinion but to get extremely lean, strong and muscular(my goals) I'd focus mainly around eating to have the best possible workouts. This way all of the progress in the gym will carry over to your body composition and health without having to worry about marginal changes in your body.

As far as the morning "flood" of testosterone, based on all of the research I've seen there is no such thing as an open flood gate of hormones. They are small changes and probably not associated with large changes in strength and body composition.

hope this helps, sorry if it's disappointing,
    Dan Pope Fitness Pain Free

Dan Pope is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    In my opinion the whole testosterone and growth hormone boosting thing can sometime fly straight in the face of your goals. I've been a victim of this. Squats will increase testosterone levels albeit marginally and whether or not this will actually lead to anything fruitful (less bodyfat more muscle) is debateable. I wrote an article about this from the Guidelines from the national strength and conditioning association: Fact or Fiction? Will Heavy Squats Make Me Produce More Testosterone? | FITNESS PAIN FREE

If your goal is strength I would train the squat later in the day and after I had a few meals in my system. That way you'll make consistent gains in strength over time that will carry over to more muscle.

I always feels that not eating/fasting will be great for fat loss but if your goal is to get stronger and build some muscle it flies directly in the face of your goals.

It's my personal opinion but to get extremely lean, strong and muscular(my goals) I'd focus mainly around eating to have the best possible workouts. This way all of the progress in the gym will carry over to your body composition and health without having to worry about marginal changes in your body.

As far as the morning "flood" of testosterone, based on all of the research I've seen there is no such thing as an open flood gate of hormones. They are small changes and probably not associated with large changes in strength and body composition.

hope this helps, sorry if it's disappointing,
    Dan Pope Fitness Pain Free

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast