New to the diet. Have a question about what happens if u fall off the wagon for a bit
Iíve been following this diet lately and have enjoyed the benefits; most notably (and most desired), weight loss. Unfortunately, Iím a college student and the primal blueprint diet isnít extremely realistic for my lifestyle. I will inevitable cave to pizza, Mexican food, grilled cheese, PB&J, ice cream, Reeseís, pitchers of beer, and well, you get the idea.
My question is, when I do succumb to these blacklisted items, will it affect my weight loss? And since my body hasnít had sugar or grains in a while, will it automatically hold on to the grains and sugar I eat, and thus gain weight?
(Also, Iím going backpacking through Europe in about a month and it will be hard to stick to the diet and nearly impossible to resist beer. I just donít want to go to Europe with some clothes and then not even be able to fit into them after a few days of eating/drinking carbs.)
Around here we talk a lot about the twenty percent rule. Shoot for 100% primal and with some exceptions you'll most likely get the diet about 80% right. The other 20% is your wiggle room A beer now and again or something not so primal isn't going to derail your health goals. That said, I know that when I do have something with sugar in it, I can feel the insulin spike and I really don't like the way that feels. I try to keep myself fairly disciplined so as not to blunt that work that I'm putting in the rest of the time.
In the end, it's your call. I don't see that going primal though will make the sugar or grains have any more of an effect on you than they would have had you not been primal. Besides, even if you do overindulge on your trip through Europe we'll be right here when you get back.
My experience is that when you go off the gluten (in particular) and the sugars you will experience them differently after you've been off of them for awhile. You may gain water weight when you eat something you haven't had in awhile, pizza in particular is an instant water gain/bloating food for me.
In a celiac, for example, they have damaged/non-existent vili in their gut from the gluten. After they go off gluten that villi heal and regrows in a lot of cases and they have what appears to be a normally functioning system. If they eat gluten it may not affect them after that villi is healed at least initially but the more they eat the more their symptoms return. Our bodies are amazing and heal themselves from a lot of damage and it may appear that you can keep on eating what doesn't work because you don't appear to be having a negative reaction. But there comes a point where that doesn't work any longer. It's like excess insulin - yes, your body handles it but eventually it breaks down.
Your "response" to it after you've been off it for awhile is likely to manifest itself in tiredness and lack of get up and go particularly if you've had a surge of energy from eating PB.
While traveling, beef jerky and trail mix are fantastic to have on hand. You should have no issues getting meat and veggies in most places either.
I'm not saying skip out on everything but in the end .. it's only food.
It sounds like weight loss is your major goal, but if you commit yourself completely to PB, you may be surprised at how weight loss becomes a desirable side effect of the health benefits you receive. My recommendation is to stay as strictly primal as you can for at least a month. It's only 30 days, you can do it. After 30 days, your body will begin to heal and your commitment will help you gain the willpower you need to reject the consumption of poison. After all, the "foods" you have listed as derailers are really nothing more than poison. It helps to think of them that way, and your healthy body will help you if you let it.
You can choose not to succumb to the blacklisted items. Yes, you will gain weight if you eat them. I advise not caving, or at least caving in moderation.
I never thought I would be fortunate to have wheat and gluten allergies, but believe me, they force me to stay on the straight and narrow because if I eat wheat or anything with gluten in it, I have almost immediate pain that takes up to a day to go away. It's not worth that.
Thanks so much for all your responses!!
eperdu, unfortunately I'm a vegetarian, so beef jerky wouldn't really work for me. So far, I've been able to eat enough protien on this diet to not need meat. Protein-wise I eat mostly eggs, almonds, almond butter, cottage cheese, and string cheese. I also eat fish, so I guess I'm a pescatarian. My favorite is apples dipped in almond butter, so I'm considering just carrying those items in my backpack and eating that most of the time in Europe.
Mini Baby Bel cheeses are an awesome travel food! They're individually wax-coated and can survive several days without refrigeration.
Good luck, and have lots of fun in Europe. I'm jealous.