Thread: Sick and tired page

nuraan is offline Senior Member

Sick and tired

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone

Best wishes for 2013!

I've been on and off PB for the past year and in the process gained about 3kg (from 64 to 67) and want to get back on track - my aim is to get down to 55kg but much more than the weight i want to stop getting sick. I've got asthma and its been very well controlled for the past few years but i had asthma related bronchitis three times in the past year and its seriously debilitating/annoying ... i end up choking and coughing for about two weeks, not sleeping, being off work for a few days at a time and struggle for a few weeks to get back to the gym and then taking ages before i can get back to my previous fitness level. My doctors only prescribe steroids and antibiotics which i want to avoid.

I've been primal for about 3 years (80-90%) i exercise about 3-4 times a week and i havent smoked in 10 years, I take an asthma preventer pump daily.

I know i cant expect medical advice what i would like is advice on foods to avoid ... i've been told that animal proteins are mucus forming? ... is this true and has anyone had similar experiences and suggestions on how i can prevent getting sick without taking tons of meds.

I am so looking forward to a healthier, happier new year and wish you all the same.

thanks

RandyStimpson is offline Member
    Do you ever go camping? If so how does this affect your asthama. If it's reduced it may point to indoor pollutants. I have a snoring problem but when I go camping I don't snore.

Consider getting your DNA tested at 23AndMe.com. This information could provide you and your doctor more insight for your special medical situation.

Hi RandyStimpson, thanks for the response ... its been about 30 years since i last went camping... I think pollutants do play a part and a few years ago i replacing carpets with tiles and started using matress protectors etc to reduce them - i should look at this again to see if im missing anything - or try camping in the backyard .
    I'll check the DNA testing site ... thanks

paleodutch is online now Senior Member
    Cutting dairy helped my lungs immensely. I can tolerate goat milk products, but no cow milk products except butter and (I think) heavy cream (the stuff you whip and can make butter from)

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Dairy and sugar and wheat and crappy oils stimulate mucous for me. Only some dairy, which is good. Fruit juices (especially orange) are not good either.

One thing that made a huge difference to my sinus issues in the past was maintaining a decent level of humidity- if it dries, it doesn't flush out, and then it can get infected. Winter time is particularly bad where I'm from, with the furnace running for months. Humidity levels can help keep it moving, which will help you clean out what your body is trying to wash out.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    I have issues with too much dairy. I can have a little cheese with a meal, a little cream, a little of SOMETHING but if it's much more than a small handful, I tend to have a bit of mucous. Animal protein gives me no issues, including eggs with this one.

Something about grains, legumes, and sugar are the same way. But it takes WAY less than with the dairy. If I have any of them, I'm clearing mucous out of my throat for what feels like the rest of the day.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    I had a mild case of asthma as well as terrible allergies throughout most of my life. I would get sick multiple times a year. After I went strict Paleo over 5 years ago my allergies were gone and I haven't been sick once. I no longer get the asthma related symptoms either. In my opinion my allergies and mucous formation was caused by dairy intolerance. When I eat out and have a dish with conventional cheese it always causes some sort of inflammation. I would consider trying to go strict Paleo by omitting all dairy and wheat products and see if that helps. Then you can add things back in to test to see which was more inflammatory.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

thanks for all the responses! I think if i want to feel better i should definitely bite the bullet and be strictly 100% . I havent had any oils (except coconut), wheat, sugar or fruit juice for the past few years. I found in the past that just a little milk makes me sick but i could tolerate cheese and yoghurt (or maybe i cant) i think i should just cut these out and have some butter and cream for my dairy fix for a while and see if this helps. Ive also decided to stop sweetners which i often use in place of sugar ... I have a huge sweet tooth so its been a bit difficult giving it up - but it will have to go. i have rye toast once a week that i'll stop too . Now that i've mentioned my "cheats", my 10-20% seems really bad choices.
    Wish me luck

paleodutch is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Good luck, with me I noticed the first improvements after 5 days.
    For your sweet tooth fruit will taste sweeter after some time, and some honey, maple syrup and dates are allowed, never heard of anyone being allergic to those (but try it after being strict for a couple of weeks, you'll notice soon enough).