Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1902 General Mess Manual for the US Navy page

1902 General Mess Manual for the US Navy

Shop Now
    Hey all,
    I'm leaving for a 6-8 month deployment next week on an aircraft carrier and I've been pondering how I'm going to continue my Primal eating while underway. The food the Navy serves nowadays is nowhere near Primal. They follow government regulations and the "food pyramid" when it comes to feeding us Sailors. I guess I'll just suck it up and revert to more of a low carber for my deployment.

Anyway, while looking online I found something pretty interesting. This is the 1902 General Mess manual and the recipes look pretty healthy (even though a lot of them still call for a lot of flour). At least back then they had a heavy emphasis on meats and veggies. Now, we have pizza nights and the occasional steel beach picnic where they grill up burgers and dogs up on the flight deck. It's amazing how much has changed as far as nutrition goes in a 100 years....

General Mess Manual and Cookbook - 1902

otzi Guest
    I eat in an Army dining facility every day for lunch. They use a color-coding system to sway the soldier's towards 'healthy' foods...it makes me laugh (and cry). That said, I have NO PROBLEM eating primally. I'm sure you will find an awesome salad bar, ample muscle meat, and fresh fruit. If they have a potato bar or baked potatoes--even better! Buy some sardines or canned oysters, gnaw the ends off chicken bones, seek out some liver. Don't drink calories, I know the military loves it's Gatoraid and Red Bull. IF every day or load up on eggs and bacon at breakfast--no need to eat the biscuits and gravy.

If you want a good read for the trip, get The Perfect Health Diet...Perfect Health Diet - A diet for healing chronic disease, restoring youthful vitality, and achieving long life hardcopy or e-copy available. Mark Sisson approved.

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I eat in an Army dining facility every day for lunch. They use a color-coding system to sway the soldier's towards 'healthy' foods...it makes me laugh (and cry). That said, I have NO PROBLEM eating primally. I'm sure you will find an awesome salad bar, ample muscle meat, and fresh fruit. If they have a potato bar or baked potatoes--even better! Buy some sardines or canned oysters, gnaw the ends off chicken bones, seek out some liver. Don't drink calories, I know the military loves it's Gatoraid and Red Bull. IF every day or load up on eggs and bacon at breakfast--no need to eat the biscuits and gravy.

If you want a good read for the trip, get The Perfect Health Diet...Perfect Health Diet - A diet for healing chronic disease, restoring youthful vitality, and achieving long life hardcopy or e-copy available. Mark Sisson approved.
    Thanks otzi. I plan on having my wife send me plenty of sardines and tuna lol. The ships have salad bars, but unfortunately they get depleted fairly quickly until we make a port call or we replenish supplies while underway. I'd say that's one of the major downfalls to being on a ship. And it's always apparent when we are low on rations - the cooks become creative and throw together whatever they have to make a "meal" lol.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Wayne View Post
    Thanks otzi. I plan on having my wife send me plenty of sardines and tuna lol. The ships have salad bars, but unfortunately they get depleted fairly quickly until we make a port call or we replenish supplies while underway. I'd say that's one of the major downfalls to being on a ship. And it's always apparent when we are low on rations - the cooks become creative and throw together whatever they have to make a "meal" lol.
    Just make a game of avoiding the "Big 3": Seed oil, Sugar, and Grain. I feel for ya! I remember moving pallets of rations destined for the Navy, lots of lasagna on that pallet!

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    The General Mess Manual cookbook actually looks pretty good, they were cooking with real ingredients, whole foods that they had to prepare, no pre-cut, packaged foods, no flavor enhancers. Now the kitchen staff probably just uses box cutters to open the frozen food.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    The General Mess Manual cookbook actually looks pretty good, they were cooking with real ingredients, whole foods that they had to prepare, no pre-cut, packaged foods, no flavor enhancers. Now the kitchen staff probably just uses box cutters to open the frozen food.
    You got that right. I was looking through a few of the recipes and they called for actual beef and pig "drippings." To the average person nowadays, that thought would make them cringe. Now they use "heart healthy" veggie oils. Blech!!!!!!!

shep68 is offline Senior Member
    Ahhh...I remember those days well. I recall one time we were in stormy weather over in the Med for three or four days right when we needed replenishing. We had hot dogs, pancakes and coffee for about 12 straight meals. Good times!

USS Nashville
    1987-1991

Quote Originally Posted by shep68 View Post
    Ahhh...I remember those days well. I recall one time we were in stormy weather over in the Med for three or four days right when we needed replenishing. We had hot dogs, pancakes and coffee for about 12 straight meals. Good times!

USS Nashville
    1987-1991
    I'd have no idea what I'd do in that situation... LOL and thanks for your service!

shep68 is offline Senior Member
    I'd have no idea what I'd do in that situation... LOL and thanks for your service!
    You too. And good luck on the cruise!

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    After hearing that the suicide rate in the military is currently higher than the death rate from combat, I have to wonder how much of it has to do with nutrition. The food is terrible, and there is no doubt that most of the current epidemic in the general populace with depression is from the nutrient-deprived SAD.

It's terribly distressing news.

Thanks for the fascinating link!
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast