Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1902 General Mess Manual for the US Navy page 2

otzi Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    After hearing that the suicide rate in the military is currently higher than the death rate from combat, I have to wonder how much of it has to do with nutrition. The food is terrible, and there is no doubt that most of the current epidemic in the general populace with depression is from the nutrient-deprived SAD.

It's terribly distressing news.

Thanks for the fascinating link!
    I work in an Army hospital. We are doing lots of studies on the correlation between low omega 3 levels and suicides--there is a direct link!

DOD Funds Study of Omega 3 Benefit in Reducing Suicides*|*Armed with Science

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Wow, it's AMAZING to hear they're actually on the right trail with this! Too bad the answer is an isolate in a questionable smoothie instead of real food, but it's at least the right track, instead of just counseling or ignoring it!
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    Wow, it's AMAZING to hear they're actually on the right trail with this! Too bad the answer is an isolate in a questionable smoothie instead of real food, but it's at least the right track, instead of just counseling or ignoring it!
    I'm not sure if it said it in the article I linked, but when they analyzed the omega 3 in hundreds of suicide victims, nearly all were severely deficient. When they analyzed the omega 3 in people who were at very high risk of suicide, but didn't do it--they all had high levels of omega 3.

Yes, they really need to push getting Omega 3 from real food! I eat fish every day, oysters 3+ days a week...guess where I got that tip from...

Wow that's pretty fascinating that there is a link between the two. It kills me that the government will feed us "crap" just to save $$. And it's even evident in our dining halls on base. Most of the crap they push in there is really crap. The only decent thing is the salad bar and the omelet station (that uses real eggs).

josonalico is offline Junior Member
    The General Mess Manual cookbook actually looks pretty good

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Yes, they really need to push getting Omega 3 from real food! I eat fish every day, oysters 3+ days a week...guess where I got that tip from...
    Jack ......Lalanne? But mussels are sooooo much less expensive than oysters.

gorbysantos is offline Junior Member
    It's amazing how much has changed as far as nutrition goes in a 100 years....

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Okay I saw this interesting line in BG9 last night, otzi. Any chance this indicates the connection between DHA & suicide is correlation, not causal?

The ethanol and acetaldehyde [released by entrenched candida] will also help hasten the brain by allowing more inflammation into through the blood brain barrier and into the brain. When this occurs we see depression, the loss of DHA (fish oil fat), phospholipids, ceremides and sphingolipids in the brain and function slowly diminishes overtime.
    Of course, two more decently likely possibilities are that typos confuse the real meaning of this, or that I misunderstand its implications entirely.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12