Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: To coffee or not? page 3

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I'm starting to cut my coffee down. I used to have a huge cup in the mornings- now I'm just doing a regular coffee cup and soon maybe nothing. I've found that without all the crap I used to add to it, coffee itself actually doesn't taste that good. I used to love putting Irish Cream (the real stuff) in it, or heavy cream and sugar. Stevia drops and either almond or coconut milk makes it drinkable, but not as enjoyable and frankly I like tea more now.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MouthDR View Post
    Interesting. If I'm reading correctly, are you saying coffee doesn't raise cortisol? Because I was under the assumption that programs like carb back-loading, etc. advise to have coffee first thing in the morning to coincide with the cortisol awakening response that occurs in normal, healthy individuals. I should also point out that the meals in the morning and afternoon are also low to no carb meals. And that by having coffee all day long, you are essentially placing your body in a elevated cortisol state, which would clearly be detrimental to health, and performance.
    That's when your body has been fasting, I was mentioning the insulin resistance part is linked to adrenaline. Upon waking, you've been fasting for x hours depending on whether you ate before you slept or not, and your body is starved of glucose. Caffeine promotes stress response, so this is why they say that. It's best you make sure you have coffee alongside carb heavy meals to prevent jitters and crash and excessive rise in stress hormones.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    I find this coffee issue confusing. It does seem like it has some health benefits and the caffeine boost from a cup of coffee seems like a harmless band aid for sleep deprivation.

However then there is the issues some people have, and the matter of quality. I can get free coffee from work but I have no idea how fresh it is, how its stored, what quality it is to begin with etc (probably Nescafe or some crap).

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    That's when your body has been fasting, I was mentioning the insulin resistance part is linked to adrenaline. Upon waking, you've been fasting for x hours depending on whether you ate before you slept or not, and your body is starved of glucose. Caffeine promotes stress response, so this is why they say that. It's best you make sure you have coffee alongside carb heavy meals to prevent jitters and crash and excessive rise in stress hormones.
    Or you could, like, you know, just not drink the coffee and get some good sleep on a regular basis and have real energy.

What a concept!

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
    It does seem like it has some health benefits....
    None unique to coffee...

...and the caffeine boost from a cup of coffee seems like a harmless band aid for sleep deprivation.
    Caffeine is a psychoactive drug. Taking it as a "band aid for sleep deprivation" is the exact opposite of being healthy. There is only one healthy way to deal with sleep deprivation - and that's by getting more sleep.

I can get free coffee from work but I have no idea how fresh it is, how its stored, what quality it is to begin with etc (probably Nescafe or some crap).
    Unless you work at Google, the odds are extremely high your workplace coffee is bottom-of-the-barrel quality, no matter what artisanal-sounding name they slap on the packaging.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123