Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: To coffee or not? page 2

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have been going through the same experience with coffee. It no longer stimulates me, but I enjoy my cup out of habit, although I have been cutting down to half my usual portion gradually. It's harmless enough.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

MouthDR is offline Senior Member
    If you had a cup (literally, 250 ml, not what some people call cups, which are actually more like 3 cups...) a day, I don't see too much of a problem. But as most things go in Western society, everything is in excess. And coffee (caffeine) in excess will promote cortisol production, and insulin resistance.

From personal experience, cutting out coffee has been one of the best things I could have done. I'm no longer tired throughout the day, and my energy levels have been stabilized. I can't justify the consumption of a stimulant, when I can't see the need for one.

aimlow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyStimpson View Post
    Coffee is a double edge sword, its extremely nutrient dense but comes with caffeine. An 8 oz cup will give you 14% of your daily requirement of Ribiflavin and 12% of vitamin B5 with just 2 calories. Because of this I think one cup a day is a good idea. But if you don't like it don't drink it. Find some other way to get nutrition.
    This is wonderful news to be b/c I love it and it's my first thought when I open my eyes in the morning! I just need one big cup but oh man I do love it....

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MouthDR View Post
    If you had a cup (literally, 250 ml, not what some people call cups, which are actually more like 3 cups...) a day, I don't see too much of a problem. But as most things go in Western society, everything is in excess. And coffee (caffeine) in excess will promote cortisol production, and insulin resistance.

From personal experience, cutting out coffee has been one of the best things I could have done. I'm no longer tired throughout the day, and my energy levels have been stabilized. I can't justify the consumption of a stimulant, when I can't see the need for one.
    Coffee releases free fatty acids only when glycogen storage is low(adrenaline, not cortisol), by keeping glycogen stores full, it wouldn't have a negative impact on blood sugar or raise adrenaline. This is why coffee(caffeine), should be consumed with ample amounts of cream and sugar or alongside a carb heavy meal.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyStimpson View Post
    Coffee is a double edge sword, its extremely nutrient dense but comes with caffeine. An 8 oz cup will give you 14% of your daily requirement of Ribiflavin and 12% of vitamin B5 with just 2 calories. Because of this I think one cup a day is a good idea. But if you don't like it don't drink it. Find some other way to get nutrition.
    Extremely nutrient dense? My black unadulterated non-bulletproof Mocha Java??? Hmmm, I have to find some other way to get my "nutrition" then...
    Last edited by Gorbag; 01-07-2013 at 06:59 AM.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    ^nice avatar, I should get one of those for myself irl
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Crio bru. Get hooked on theobromine instead.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Ollie is offline Senior Member
    In a nutshell, learn how caffine works and how to use it to your advantage....this goes for all stimulants.

Saying that though i think broadly speaking there are two types of people; those who are more naturally laid back and those who are naturally lively. The former, I believe, react better to stims than the latter group. The latter group actually 'wake up' with calming agents.

This has been my close observation.

MouthDR is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Coffee releases free fatty acids only when glycogen storage is low(adrenaline, not cortisol), by keeping glycogen stores full, it wouldn't have a negative impact on blood sugar or raise adrenaline. This is why coffee(caffeine), should be consumed with ample amounts of cream and sugar or alongside a carb heavy meal.
    Interesting. If I'm reading correctly, are you saying coffee doesn't raise cortisol? Because I was under the assumption that programs like carb back-loading, etc. advise to have coffee first thing in the morning to coincide with the cortisol awakening response that occurs in normal, healthy individuals. I should also point out that the meals in the morning and afternoon are also low to no carb meals. And that by having coffee all day long, you are essentially placing your body in a elevated cortisol state, which would clearly be detrimental to health, and performance.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    If your drinking it strictly for its health benefits by all means feel free to stop! Its more of a sensible vice than any sort of necessary food item. Seriously, its much like alcohol in this manner. Sure we can do some physiological or statistical gymnastics to make these things look good, but in the end they aren't necessary in any way, shape, or form.

I love coffee. I have 2 very strong cups (small ones made in a moka pot) a day. But I've also gone without and felt great. I drink it for the taste.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 01-07-2013 at 12:28 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast