Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are Organic and Grass Fed more expensve? page

JoanieL is offline Senior Member

Why are Organic and Grass Fed more expensve?

Primal Fuel
    Is it merely economies of scale? The fact that we're willing to pay more (demand)? I mean on some level, I wonder why I don't pay more for pesticides, union (I think) labor, etc.

While political diatribes are welcome, I'm really looking for logical answers. Figure if the spectrum is from Fin'l Wizard to someone who can't turn a fraction into a decimal, I'm somewhat above the median, but a Fin'l Wizard would probably think I'm goofy.

Thanks in advance for any info.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Well where I live, they are not.
    But for those who think it is (if it is where you are), the extra you were spending on packaged crap can go towards good protein sources can't it?

jtrain_36 is offline Member
    Pastured animals require more land than conventionally raised animals... I would guess the medical costs for animals who aren't pumped full of antibiotics is also fairly high.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Well where I live, they are not.
    But for those who think it is (if it is where you are), the extra you were spending on packaged crap can go towards good protein sources can't it?
    Wish I lived in a place where organic and grass-fed was the norm instead of the exception lol

Yes, here it is. I can buy a pound of plastic wrapped, pink slime ground beef at Walmart for less than $4/lbUS (at least four months ago, since I haven't been in awhile) and even non pink slime ground beef at other stores (still CAFO) for about the same price. But I pay $8/lb for grass fed ground beef. Organic produce isn't as bad, but there's at least a 30% difference.

Wild vs farmed fish hasn't been as much of an issue (except I remember the Chinese Walmart salmon was pretty cheap). It seems to be standard meats (beef, fowl, pork) and produce.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Ayla, got a spare bedroom - I'm moving in!

B*tch-lite

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    because farmers are mean and don't want us to be happy
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Its not really the "norm". I do have to drive an hour for this butcher, but there are a few around. Sydney is huge though.
    I avoid the supermarket for meat, unless desperate for my pets, I will occasionally buy their meat there, but it normally comes from the same place as ours. Raw meaty bones. Bought lamb ribs, necks and some big hunk of lamb with a bone in for the dogs, and kangaroo for the cats this morning.
    I have never bothered to look into how commercially raised meat is in Aus, but they proudly say grain fed, so was enough for me to stop buying it.
    I spend about $500 at a time for 5-6 weeks of meat.
    For 4 of us (2 little people).

Sorry no spare room, but we have a couch

I also buy eggs from this same farmer from free ranging chickens, 30 for $7. Huge ones. Often with double yolk.
    Slightly closer to home is a farmer, not certified organic, but he assures me no pesticides, and his word is good enough to me. He also has eggs, but lots of fresh veg and fruit, seasonal of course.
    Id rather give this small farm my money over the supermarket, even if not certified organic.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    because farmers are mean and don't want us to be happy
    I always love your POV. lol

Ayla, you have children? Um... I don't think I can make it after all. *chuckle* But if I'm ever your way, I may take you up on that sofa for a night or two. (NZ, Sidney, I could do a tour. I'm stacking up invites folks, so don't make them lightly.)

B*tch-lite

Yep 2 boys (5 and 2.5) sorry haha. You don't like kids?
    BTW its Sydney lol

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast