Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about feet... page

Drumroll is offline Senior Member

Let's talk about feet...

Primal Fuel
    And other parts in that general region.

So, I was browsing through some older MDA posts and I came across these three:

Standing at Work | Mark's Daily Apple

How to Improve Your Posture | Mark's Daily Apple

The Definitive Guide to Walking | Mark's Daily Apple

They got me to thinking... I have mentioned this in other posts before, but I totally agree with Mark on all three of these related issues.

So, a few questions for you guys...

How many of you make conscious efforts to stand more at work, get up and stretch your legs? Do you employ any special strategies to maximize time up from the desk? Do any of you have a standing desk at your office?

How many of you have improved your posture since going primal? What do you think was the most significant factor resulting in such an improvement? Bette back strength from lifting maybe? Less inflammation from a better diet and healthier lifestyle? Because you think about standing up straight more often than you used to?

Do you get your 5,000 steps a day? How do you find time in your busy schedules? Do you try to get extra steps in by getting out of the chair or off the couch at regular intervals and walking around, or is that too much for you to think about and do you just forget that and stick to long hikes when you can fit them in?

And one random question, including both periods of standing AND walking, what is the longest period that you have been on your feet for one continuous period without sitting down, lying down, or anything of the like? If you did squats at the gym in that period you didn't actually sit, so you're still good!

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Well I am a stay at home mum, who studies as well.
    I try not to sit for more than an hour at a time if I am studying, or reading MDA! And I sit on a fit ball. I try to do things like incline pushups, or dips around my house, when I doing other stuff.
    I walk at least 5 km every night, its me time, could be chronic cardio, since I do walk as fast as I can, but I do enjoy it, and have a lot of weight to lose.
    I would love to do more hiking in the weekends with my family, and we plan to.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    I walk at least 5 km every night, its me time, could be chronic cardio, since I do walk as fast as I can, but I do enjoy it, and have a lot of weight to lose.
    Well, do you regularly get over 75% of your max heart rate when you walk like that?

Paleobird Guest
    Well, I don't work an office job but getting out of stiff padded shoes and into VFFs has made a big difference for me in trail and urban hiking. I feel like I walk more naturally and in touch with the ground that way.

Wearing them also makes all those soft muscles around that area start doing the job they were meant to do. I think they help to "injury proof" your ankles and feet by making them stronger.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Well, do you regularly get over 75% of your max heart rate when you walk like that?
    I don't know, but I don't think so. I am not feeling like I am about to pass out or anything like that. But def not just a sunday stroll.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    I don't know, but I don't think so. I am not feeling like I am about to pass out or anything like that. But def not just a sunday stroll.
    Well, as for it being chronic cardio or anything, I suggest reading this and making up your own mind: The Health Benefits of Moderate Exercise | Mark's Daily Apple

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Well, I don't work an office job but getting out of stiff padded shoes and into VFFs has made a big difference for me in trail and urban hiking. I feel like I walk more naturally and in touch with the ground that way.

Wearing them also makes all those soft muscles around that area start doing the job they were meant to do. I think they help to "injury proof" your ankles and feet by making them stronger.
    I agree with you. I still haven't invested in a pair of VFFs but perhaps sometime this year...

I'd love to see a study comparing high level runners against themselves wearing conventional shoes for a long-distance run and then repeating it with VFFs. It would measure overall time and stride efficiency in each pair of shoes and then also record the runner's perception of how they did, which shoe they preferred, ect. Unfortunately, this is tough because running conditions could not be made to be exactly the same, even for the same runner on the same run on two given days minus the shoes.

So a truly objective analysis would be hard.

Alas.

fresa is offline Member
    Speaking of long distance runners using VFFs....

I found this article the other day (maybe someone else posted it on here? Not sure) and I thought it was a pretty cool story: Running a 255km Jungle Marathon in Spyridon FiveFingers

Also I am probably the only person in the world who does this, but I drink a LOT of water. And lots of water means lots of bathroom breaks, so I feel like I work in some extra steps that way. Hey, I'll take whatever chance I can to get up and walk around. I've also been known to walk up and down the staircase in the library at the university I go to while there and reading a book. It sounds like the behavior of a crazy person, but it gets me moving even if it is very slowly. People hate when you pace in the library, but the staircase rarely has anyone in it (surprise surprise) so I get fewer looks there. I know it's all bizarre, but the last thing I want to do after sitting for 3 hour for class is go to the library and sit some more! Thank goodness I am now on vacation so I can romp in the beautiful snow for a while

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Dh and I are talking about getting a standing desk for our office, because it would be nice.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    Dh and I are talking about getting a standing desk for our office, because it would be nice.
    Very nice. Trying to increase the ol' leg time are we?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast