Thread: Ouch page

Kenzie is offline Junior Member

Ouch

Primal Fuel
    Hey everyone... I have been following PB for awhile now and even switched from chronic cardio to HIIT. WEll I was reading how some crossfitters were able to do longer distance runs and feel great after. I thought I would try a once a week long run/trek. As luck would have it I re-aggravated a three year old stress fracture on my left foots third metatatarsal. I am concerned now that my conditioning will decrease. Any ideas for non weight bearing HIIT. I tried doing some polymerics today but I think I made it worse with burpies and lunges. I know that I can bike or swim, lift weights but I am looking for other things. I tried to look for a thread on foot injuries but couldn’t find one. Any suggestions that can help during this time would be great.

Godzilla is offline Senior Member
    When I had a foot injury from sprinting and then a knee injury from box-jump plyometrics, I stopped those and did kettlebell cardio. Take a look at some of my posts headlined "WOD" or "Kettlebell." I got some routines on there that may work for you.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Do something involving chin ups dips and other upper body exercises. Obviously they won't be explosive but they don't require the use of your foot either. Or you could do a complex. Look up weightlifting and complex to see what I mean. If you've never done it before do it with a broom instead of a barbell and it doesn't stress your foot anymore than standing on it. A proper complex is explosive and will stuff you. t-nation had a good article on them once (search over there for the 'screw cardio' article).

Here's the link to complexes: http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a...edded_physique
    Last edited by Bushrat; 04-20-2010 at 03:02 AM.

eva
    eva is offline Senior Member
    i used to be able to do spinning with my stressfracture...
    challenge yourself
    i blog here http://theprimalwoman.blogspot.com/

Thank you Godzilla, Bushrat and Eva for your replies. I will try all of your suggestions as I am open to anything. I love how we are all located in differernt Countries too.

My foot is feeling better today so I am hoping that this injury will not last long. I am really impressed that there are so few comments about injuries ( well I wasn't able to find any) so that says something about what we are all doing.

I am a recreational therapist so having a limp doesn't help at all Ill just keep pumping the Vit D and Calcium

Pantera is offline Senior Member
    Can you do Tabata thrusters? Your feet are not very actively involve in this exercise, but you may experience some pain. Google it and give it a try. It's as intense as you want it to be, even if using low weights.

Pantera, thank you for introducing that to me...I usually get my Tabata workouts from Rockbody tv, but you have just introduced me to something amazing! Thank you! I love Tabata intervals. You can do anything in 20-30sec.....anything

Pantera is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenzie View Post
    Pantera, thank you for introducing that to me...I usually get my Tabata workouts from Rockbody tv, but you have just introduced me to something amazing! Thank you! I love Tabata intervals. You can do anything in 20-30sec.....anything
    You are welcome. Just make sure you take it easy on the dumbbells' weight. As an example, I was pressing 55lb dumbbells but was using only 20lb dumbbell for the thrusters. First 2-3 sets you go as fast as you can. By set #7-8 you are close to death.

Big Dave is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Swimming sprints if you have access to a pool. 25 or 50 yard freestyle sprint with a 10 second rest for a set of 5 then a full two minute rest.

Do four cycles, no impact!
    Rangers Lead the Way, Hooah!