Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Become a fat burning beast!? page

PrimalWolf is offline Junior Member

Become a fat burning beast!?

Primal Fuel
    Hi,

Am getting into this primal thing, but I have had the 'carb flu' for groking ages!

Currently eating around 130g carbs per day, with total calories at: 50%fat, 20%carb, and 30%protein.

Is this low carb enough to instigate the bodies fat burning mechanism? I don't want to drop to many carbs as I don't need to lose any weight.

Let me know what you think, I would be interested in hearing your experience with this.

PW

dirk41 is offline Senior Member
    I think that is low-enough to be a fat-burner, but I'm not sure. How long have you had the carb flu?

PrimalWolf is offline Junior Member
    Ok cool, thanks man.

Been about three weeks now. Getting better but still tend to be constantly tired and fuzzy headed.

jtrain_36 is offline Member
    Had the same problem actually, someone wise on this forum (not sure who or else I would give credit!) told me that I should try eating more salt. It helped, whether that was just because I got over the carb flu, it was all in my head, or it actually worked I'm not really sure.

Point is, it couldn't hurt I suppose.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    More salt and also you might want to go even lower carb temporarily, to really switch on the adaptation. You are sort of in what is called the "zone of misery", too low carb to feel good and too high to achieve adaptation.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    More salt and also you might want to go even lower carb temporarily, to really switch on the adaptation. You are sort of in what is called the "zone of misery", too low carb to feel good and too high to achieve adaptation.
    This. SB beat me to it. You might want to check out the blog of Dr Peter Atia called The Eating Academy. He is the one who coined the term "zone of misery".

dirk41 is offline Senior Member
    I'll second the idea of lowering your carbs further, but I'd also give it 1-2 months.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I think 130g is a bit too high to start ketosis, especially if you're just starting. You might want to go as low as under 50g and increase to a more reasonable amount as you make progress.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Loneketo is offline Senior Member
    You might be able to use fatty acids for energy, but your certainly not going to do it well if your carbs are to high, that's at maintenance after induction. The fastest route would be to cut them out completely, forcing your body to rely on fatty acid oxidation, then adding them back in. Just an option, That's what I did when I first went primal, but I went back to zero carbs like at maintenance because I liked it.

Or you could just lower them like others have said to below 50g.

Timthetaco Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If you don't need to lose any weight, your body burns fat just fine. Why are you asking this question? Is it to help you through the adjustment period? It may have more to do with adjusting to not eating shit than carbohydrates. What's your main source of carbohydrates right now?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast