Thread: Seizures and IBS page

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!

Seizures and IBS

Shop Now
    My recent seizure (I think I had one...no one knows for sure), has spurred my IBS into full force. Any epileptics out there have the gut symptoms to boot? I was SOOOOO healthy and have f'd things up with sugar, stress and photosensitivity issues that I didnt take serious enough. I'm dealing with the stress in all areas and think I have that better controlled. I kicked the sugar and most all carbs to the curb nearly immediately. Praying I can reclaim my body in a few weeks instead of a few months. Problem with IBS is that it makes you feel like everything you eat is suspect. Drinking some rooibus tea with coconut oil to up my fat and cutting the leafy greens --- fiber seems to be a menace at this point in time. Tonight's dinner was some ground venison cooked in a bit of lard with Himalayan sea salt---talk about exciting times in the kitchen!
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by solstice View Post
    My recent seizure (I think I had one...no one knows for sure), has spurred my IBS into full force. Any epileptics out there have the gut symptoms to boot? I was SOOOOO healthy and have f'd things up with sugar, stress and photosensitivity issues that I didnt take serious enough. I'm dealing with the stress in all areas and think I have that better controlled. I kicked the sugar and most all carbs to the curb nearly immediately. Praying I can reclaim my body in a few weeks instead of a few months. Problem with IBS is that it makes you feel like everything you eat is suspect. Drinking some rooibus tea with coconut oil to up my fat and cutting the leafy greens --- fiber seems to be a menace at this point in time. Tonight's dinner was some ground venison cooked in a bit of lard with Himalayan sea salt---talk about exciting times in the kitchen!
    Well, crap! Did you see the Epilepsy Experiment thread? I've had a backslide too.

I never really had IBS but I totally agree that backing off on the mountains of vegetation in the diet is a good idea. In fact, I'm thinking about going mainly carnivore. I've been researching it.

So sorry to hear about your episode. But, what both of our exceptions are doing is only proving the rule even more clearly. Keto works, you just have to stick with it.

OK, you kick my behind and I'll kick yours then lets climb back on the keto wagon and not do this again.

I didnt see your post...will go looking for it though! Yes on the carnivore diet. I literally only ate some bacon and eggs, pastured chicken, venison and coconut oil for nourishment today. Hoping tomorrow is better...and every day thereafter. I feel TOTALLY satisfied so no issues there. Soooo very glad I've found you on this forum. Let the butt kicking begin!

abc123 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by solstice View Post
    I didnt see your post...will go looking for it though! Yes on the carnivore diet. I literally only ate some bacon and eggs, pastured chicken, venison and coconut oil for nourishment today. Hoping tomorrow is better...and every day thereafter. I feel TOTALLY satisfied so no issues there. Soooo very glad I've found you on this forum. Let the butt kicking begin!

I can't speak for the seizure side of your post, but IBS.. for me, it comes down to: sugar, fiber, & grain.. I have to stick w/ meat, "some" or a "piece of" fruit & more meat.. If I eat refined sugars, tons of veggies overloaded w/ fiber, or breads & rices, I get super bloated, my body temperature spikes & I've even broke out in hives before.. I think this is related to "candida" & super sensitivity; none-the-less, a lot of fiber, grain or sugar doesn't do my body good.. I can handle a very small portion of potatoes, but starchy tubers aren't the answer for me either.. Wish I would've learned this many, many years ago!

Glad you're ready to get back on path! Keep it "primal meaty" & that digestion should improve..

Also, I've added a good probiotic & raised my full fat yogurt intake & quality cheese.. Exchanging some fiber for some dairy that won't simply "run through me"..

Paleobird Guest
    Solstice,
    Re the fruit vs veggies idea, you might enjoy the blog of Dr. Georgia Ede (one of the AHS presenters this year). She makes the point that veggies are the "body" of the plant so the plant doesn't want this to be eaten and has anti-nutrient defenses up. The fruit is offered by the plant, it wants animals to eat this part.

She did an interesting article this past week about the toxicity of the various nightshades which showed the veggie ones (all spuds except sweet and yams) are much more toxic than the ones that are actually fruit such as tomatoes and eggplant. (I could point this out to the people on the spud fest threads but I don't want to spoil their fun.)

And my latest dairy obsession is labne kefir cheese. It tastes like greek yoghurt but it is about the consistency of cream cheese. Probiotics and fat all in one.

Thanks you two!
    I have been avoiding all fiber and sticking with meats and fats and am starting to feel a bit better today---even swam laps this morning. My stomach is, however, still making awful noises.

I just searched for that blog pb! Will be reading! I read a book while pregnant on the antinutrients and defenses of plants---mainly because I couldnt stand veg...especially my beloved broccoli, during that time in my life! (That book made me feel a lot better about my food choices...)

I'm full blown allergic to tomatoes...and apples, and bananas---it's a birch family allergy. I hadnt been really strict about avoidance of all of these things. Tomatoes are the hardest truly as I love them in soups and stews and home-canned mine from my garden this summer. So. Sad!

Can't do dairy---at least for now.