Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help a FAT man, pretty please? page

thedannymartin is offline Junior Member

Help a FAT man, pretty please?

Primal Fuel
    Hey,

So, I stumbled on this forum a week ago, 75 lbs overweight and fed up with how crap I felt. I immediately feel in love with your community, cleared my cupboards out and made some kale chips. (standard behavior yeah?!)

I'm so excited about the future now, honestly it just feels like a whole weight has been lifted and I haven't touched anything non-primal for a week (which is a miracle!)

Can anyone offer tips to someone of my considerate frame when starting life on Primal? Should I consider a fast? Should I exercise more than Mark suggests as I have weight to shift not just to get healthy? Any other tips that can help me lose weight in addition to feeling the other benefits of a primal life?

Thanks folks, I will dedicate my abs to you all, when I find them

Grace & Peace
    Danny

ez2cy is offline Senior Member
    Well, welcome.

I am also what most would consider fairly new here.

You will notice a big differance in your life. I know just eating primal how much better I feel. More so, how crappy I feel when the wife bakes and I dive into the tasty little morsels. Tasted good on the lips but after being on Primal, I feel really bad.

I'd start off reading the books and the 30 day challenge or whatever it's called.

Ask a lot of questions, I have, I am and I will still.

Great people here.

otzi Guest
    I'll be the first to welcome you with the standard line of questioning:
    1. Height/weight?
    2. Age
    3. Medical concerns
    4. Goals?
    5. What's your current diet like?
    6. Any lifestyle issues we should know about? Alcoholic, shift worker, ex-vegan, yo-yo dieter, eating disorders?

Answer these and you will be flooded with responses!

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thedannymartin View Post
    Can anyone offer tips to someone of my considerate frame when starting life on Primal? Should I consider a fast? Should I exercise more than Mark suggests as I have weight to shift not just to get healthy? Any other tips that can help me lose weight in addition to feeling the other benefits of a primal life?
    Welcome. Take it slow and not do too much. (definitely don't overexercise)

I think that the first and most important thing is to discover how to cook foods with primal recipes. I had to reinvent a bunch of go-to recipes since, ya know, no wheat flour. And if you don't have good cooking habits, when you feel low then you will just stop being primal because it's 'too hard'.

Add in all the exercising, fasting, sleep and other tweaks once you feel on top of diet.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

thedannymartin is offline Junior Member
    I like it Otzi, here are my vitals:

1) 5'7" | 215 lbs (Want to get down to 150 ish)
    2) 33
    3) Always ill, I have had slightly high BP in the past but that seems to be OK at the mo, I get dizzy sometimes, just general feeling crap all the time!
    4) Down to GW, but also just eliminate health issues
    5) Processed food, takeaways, pizza, sandwiches etc. 3500 Cals per day of mostly rubbish, although I do love fruit and veg. I stopped this a week ago.
    6) Recovering Alcoholic, dry 4 years so probably doesn't count. Not really a Yo-Yoer, my Yo-Yo stays mainly up

Yey!
    D
    “Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I built my life.”
    - J.K. Rowling

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    You could try a fast, yep. You probably have plenty of fuel on your body so you wouldn't lose too much muscle. On the other hand, it might be hard coming from a high carb way of eating. So I say try it, but if it's too hard, don't worry. Just keep primal approved foods ready for when and if you need to stop and eat. I advocate a low-stress induction fast in my opinion, at least for those willing to consider it.

You go as long as you can while STILL FEELING COMFORTABLE, not eating any food and drinking only yerba mate, tea, coffee, or water. When you've reached your limit which could be four hours or could be multiples of days (no way to know until you try), you do NOT force yourself beyond it. You simply eat a healthy and primal meal. Do NOT push beyond what is comfortable for you though.

Integrate the rest of the lifestyle after your fast is up. No, don't exercise more than Mark says, do heavy lifting and/or bodyweight work two or three times a week, light cardio (55-70% of your max heart rate) for two or three hours a week, and just WALK as much as you can to get everywhere possible.

You might consider getting onto an intermittent fasting schedule that works within the reality of your daily life. For some, it's eating one HUGE daily meal (20 hour daily fast - four hour eating window), some like a 16/8 window (16 hour daily fast and eight hours usually comprising two meals), some prefer 18/6. Just depends on how that fits into your life.

That's really all there is to it! I'd give you dietary recommendations, but you seem to have diet under control? That's an important first step.

If any part of the recommendations above doesn't feel right to you, is too stressful, or makes you worse off than before, then dial back the intensity. Nutrition and fitness is VERY individual, so just remember my main mantra to any new primalite, "Experiment, experiment, EXPERIMENT!"

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    And don't forget the information you can probably learn from the treasure trove of links and blogs on this page: Primal Blueprint 101 | Mark&#039;s Daily Apple

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    There are a lot of people who report success with fasting, but I'm not one of them. I've tinkered with fasting in the past, and yes, I did lose weight while fasting, but gained it back with a vengeance as soon as I stopped. The longest fast I've done is 10 days of water only... overall, I'd say fasting has only had a negative impact on my weight loss. That said, I've lost and kept off a whole lot of weight over the last couple of years (over 170lbs). My basic motto is to not worry about calorie intake (though I do track my intake to see how my macronutrient and vitamin levels are doing), make sure that what you eat is as true to primal as it can be, and for me, if I feel tempted to eat something I shouldn't, I just make myself eat something primal first, and that urge typically goes away super fast.

AshleyL is offline Senior Member
    I would probably just stick with the basics for now. If you start to plateau, then do some IF or really low carb or more exercise etc. But it almost seems like it's better to do that when your body start to hold back on weight loss. Like you don't want to show all your big guns at the first lol. Also, fasting gets easier after you've been burning fat for a while.

Don't overdo exercise, remember muscle is built in the rest period and muscle tissue is your main fat burning asset from exercise. Also, excessive exercise causes stress hormones which keep you fat.

Discover new vegetables/greens and new ways to enjoy them. New recipes. Have fun so you don't get bored.. not because eating real food is boring, but because you don't have an entire industry making you an endless array for choices of real food meals. When you eat junk there is variety of choices everywhere you turn. So you have to make your real food choices available to yourself.

AmyP is offline Member
    Welcome..I am also a newbie here, but have been primal for a few years and have lost a siginifant amount of weight. Also overcame depression/anxiety with this way of eating.

If you have eaten like crap for a long time, it will take a while for you to heal. It also takes a while to switch from "this is a diet" way of thinking to the "this is the way I EAT" way of thinking. Probably took me a year to get there. I don't even allow myself or anyone around me to refer to the way I eat as a diet. It's a mind shift, for sure!

I am wary of anyone that makes a lot of changes (diet, exercise, etc) all at once...usually gets too be too much and they quit everything. Focus on your food and walk a lot. Do some squats and push ups now and then..chill and get comfortable with changing your life. And when you make a bad decision and leap off the wagon, drag yourself back up! Never quit because this is the way you eat now..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast