Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help a FAT man, pretty please? page 2

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Honestly, I'd start with the basics:
    1. Eat real food.
    2. 2-3 meals per day. Don't try to fast, just eat when you feel like it or are hungry.
    3. Start walking.

Give that a month or so and see how you feel. Readjust as needed. For some people it can take several weeks for their bodies to heal, so if you aren't dropping weight immediately, don't freak out.

jtrain_36 is offline Member
    As others have noted don't hesitate to take it slow, and most importantly don't be discouraged if success isn't happening as quickly as you'd wish it would. While some people have great success in losing weight off the bat, others tend to take longer. The important thing is that this WOE isn't just about losing weight, but also being healthy for the long haul.

A good lifting program 2 to 3 days a week has been critical to my success, but one of the most important aspects of exercise to me is getting outside and playing. To me that's playing tennis but could be any number of things as long you're up moving and outside it's a win-win.

Don't be afraid to experiment based on others' experiences, however don't take everything you read on here for a certainty. People lose weight and get healthier in all sorts of ways, and as long as you find what works for you, that's what matters most. More than just a change in diet, this is a change in lifestyle which helps with both how you look physically and how you feel.

Good luck to you man!

ecole66 is offline Senior Member
    Number one in my opinion is to learn to just get over it! When you eat something you shouldn't do not get down on yourself. Do not fall into the trap of telling yourself "well, I already screwed up so I will just get back on track tomorrow". That leads to "I will get back on track on Monday" or next week or whatever.

Second, I would guess that since you are 75 pounds over weight at 33 years old you are not a big fan of exercise. When I started I was only doing a Body By Science big 5 workout 2 times a week. It only took about 10 minutes and I made great gains. I have increased my strength training routine just a little(still twice a week) and added 2 Sprint-8 sessions a week. Still my total exercise time in a week is under 2 hours. I do walk my daughter to and from school and that is about a mile each way. Just remember if you up the intensity you can decrease the volume of exercise and get even better results.

Just so you know, I have lost 120 pounds and increased my strength by a bunch and I started in April of 2012. I had tried many times before to lose weight and get healthy but always gave into cravings and hunger that I do not experience with Primal and low carb. I also always listened to conventional wisdom on exercise and would give up after a couple of weeks trying the 5 or 6 hour a week routines. The people who come up that stuff are people that love exercise and have no idea what people like us will enjoy or find acceptable.

neilc11 is offline Senior Member
    read all Mark's stuff,
    follow and get comfortable with his basics,
    then dabble with the extra forum tricks.

it's the journey, not a race.

take a "now" picture or 2, shirt on, shirt off,
    you'll share that in 6 months, a year, maybe 2,
    read "before and after", in the forums, you'll see,
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread6138.html

keep reading the forums,

TuppTupp is offline Junior Member
    I second the now/before picture. You might not notice changes until you take a now picture in 4 weeks and compare them to find a huge difference. And it's always good to have a comparison, lol.

Also, MEASURE! Measure waist, hips, thighs, whatever you feel like.

I'm tiny and only lost like 2 lbs, but after 3 weeks on primal almost 2" of bloat and fat disappeared from my stomach. I noticed I seemed slimmer, but with out the "before" measurements I would have thought my waist went from 25.5" to 25", not all the way down to 24".

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    Honestly, I'd start with the basics:
    1. Eat real food.
    2. 2-3 meals per day. Don't try to fast, just eat when you feel like it or are hungry.
    3. Start walking.

Give that a month or so and see how you feel. Readjust as needed. For some people it can take several weeks for their bodies to heal, so if you aren't dropping weight immediately, don't freak out.
    Excellent advice, IMO. Eliminating crap foods and cutting back really hard on grains will make you feel better pretty fast. If you are a snacker, jumping into fasting can be hard. Focusing on sticking to 3 meals a day with nothing but no cal drinks in between is
    a great start.

I started exercise with just 10 min walking per day. Establishing the habit should be priority number one. Building up after a habit is in place will be much more successful.

Getting the hang of primal eating can take a while. Don't fret over your mis-steps. Every bite is a new choice. Focus on making better choices every time.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

fresa is offline Member
    I'm gonna repeat for the upteenth time, do NOT do more or different exercises from what Mark suggests. I once tried going from walking an hour a day to jogging for 35 minutes a day because I was hoping to accelerate my weight loss. Instead, it completely stalled. Once I stopped jogging and started walking again, it picked right back up. When losing weight I would definitely do what Mark says for exercise, but not any more. It may backfire. For me, if the exercise feels "primal" then I'm good. Would Grok have any real practical reason to jog for 30 minutes? Not really. But would he do a quick print to escape something and spend hours walking to gather food or track prey? Yes. Don't overdo it, follow the rules, and the weight will come right off And if you cheat it is OK, it happens. Get right back on the horse and you'll be fine, but don't beat yourself up over it. Totally not worth it.
    Last edited by fresa; 01-06-2013 at 06:32 PM. Reason: danged typos

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Hi!

I recommend that people follow basic PB for the first 3-6 months to see how it goes. Seriously, it's a very straight forward program.

If, after 30 days or so, you see *zero* results, then we can trouble-shoot what might be going on.

After 3-6 months of basic primal, then you can look at tinkering with fancy stuff like fasting or whatever.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Generally when starting something new, you want to jump wholeheartedly into it and do everything. Don't. Skip the fasting, instead focus on a good grocery list and food plan. And moving around a little or a lot won't hurt. Take it slow or you might fall off before long.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

AdamC29 is offline Senior Member
    I think the first thing to do is get reading, listen to all the podcasts and start as fast as or slow as you like. Fade out everything you ever heard about diets or other eating plans. This is the one and you are in the right place.

I personally started fasting before primal eating and was also quite active. I was doing kettlebell training 2-3 times a week.

when I put all three together it was like the weight literally fell off.

I think the best advice I can give is to take an interest into the health of your body. I think of it like a Savings account, the more you invest (time rather than money) the more you will gain. Probably the best investment you will ever make.
    2010 - 5,11 and 101KG

2012 - 5,11 and 77KG

Train hard, eat well and love life

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast