Thread: Lamb bones! page

Drumroll is offline Senior Member

Lamb bones!

Primal Fuel
    So, I've made beef broth, chicken broth, and fish broth before. I'm totally CAPABLE of concocting some sort of bone broth out of the 1.69 lbs of lamb bones I have.

However, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of favorite recipes that I could mash together and steal ideas from for my lamb broth? And no, "boil water, toss in bones" doesn't count.

Are there any herbs/spices that go really well with lamb broth that I should know about? Particular veggies (not soup veggies mind you, just to flavor the broth) that I should consider including?

I have a billion different ideas percolating in my head to use the lamb broth which is why I want to make the broth as perfect as possible so as not to ruin my ideas with a weak or unappealing broth.

vintageeats is offline Member
    Hey drumroll,

My first instinct with lamb stock is to make harira, which is a Moroccan soup. But, harira depends pretty heavily on chickpeas, a Primal no-no. Here's what the recipe generally looks like: Harira Recipe (North African lamb and chickpea stew) | Algeria, Morocco | Whats4Eats.

Honestly, I'm not sure how to Primalize lentils/chickpeas, but this soup is fantastic even if you leave them out.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Rosemary goes brilliantly with lamb flavours. My favourite lamb broth is root vegetables - carrots, turnips, celeriac, Jerusalem artichoke, white potato - 1.5 pounds of any mix of these, to 1.5 pints stock. Boil together with a sprig of rosemary, until veg is soft. I usually put around half of this through a blender until really smooth then pour back into the "lumpy" broth, re-heqat and season with salt / pepper / freshly crushed garlic to taste.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Oooooh, good instinct with the rosemary. I didn't think of it but it makes perfect sense that it would be great to compliment.