Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carnivore/Omnivore Cycling? page

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

Lightbulb Carnivore/Omnivore Cycling?

Primal Fuel
    I've noticed that when I switch up my diet from VLC/High Fat, to MLC/Lower Fat, and vice-versa, I get a nice bounce of energy and weight loss the first week...then the magic seems to taper off. I feel fine either way, and can always find appropriate food that make me happy.

It occurred to me to try a week of one, then the other, then repeat. So, I'm just finishing up an awesome Carnivore week, with lots of roast lamb, pork belly, bacon and all kinds of goodness (carbs less than 10 per day. I lost four pounds this week. I think next week is gonna be Omnivore week, with lots of veggies, a few more carbs (up to 50)less protein and fat.

Has anyone ever heard of doing this? Results??? Am I just tripping?

I'm female, 51 years old, 5-9 and currently about 150, like to lose about another ten of muffin-top.

Suzan is offline Senior Member
    Intriguing idea. Others on the low-carb forums do carb cycling, too. Whatever works.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like a plan. It certainly simulates what it would actually have been like for a hunter/gatherer and it's always good to give the metabolic functions that would be characteristic of each way of eating some frequent "practice time".

I read a study where people on an Atkins-esque diet had decreased weight loss after a few months of steady weight loss. They found a solution that seemed to work well which was having a somewhat higher carb breakfast and the rest of the day being typically VLC.

*obligatory plug to check all micronutrients especially iodine, just 'cause it helps

Cool, thanks folks!!!
    I have one more day's worth of VLC foods at home, then Wednesday is the Farmer's Market, and I can stock up on veggies.
    I'll let you know how it goes; at the very least it will be entertaining as hell.
    (Thanks, Stabby for the reminder about the micros. I'll probably plug everything into Fitday, just to help me keep track)

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Sounds like it could work, but your body might adapt to that too if you're too regular about a week on one, and then a week on the other for an extended period, so I'd vary it a bit. (two weeks, one week. three weeks, four weeks, one week, one week. Keep the body guessing.)

Hmmmm...hadn't thought of that. Thanks!!!
    I think this is gonna be fun. Too bad I can't figure out how to work in a, "Beer Week" ;-)

eva
    eva is offline Senior Member
    sounds like a plan - let us know how it works out
    challenge yourself
    i blog here http://theprimalwoman.blogspot.com/

Will do, eva!!!

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    Haha sounds like a heavily primalized carb cycling plan

Always do what works best for you! As stabby said, nutrient check

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    i think this sounds very primal and prolly more what we did eat like. will be interesting to watch... i dont think i could control my protein and fat intake on omnivore weeks though lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast