Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: getting ripped...with YOGA! page 3

Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    You sure showed her bro.

Does she even lift???
    Didn't you hear? Resistance training is so 2012. Apparently, they found a better way to stimulate the deeper muscle and tone the body from inside out. And it's holistic too.

Anyway, how's the sugar crusade going in the nutrition forum?

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Slow and steady like my gains
    nihil

Nick the Destroyer is offline Senior Member
    I always look and feel my best when I can get a couple of yoga days in a week. Time is always an issue, but I feel Yoga really is the true fountain of youth.
    "Suffer no guilt yee who wield this in the name of Crom"
    Quote on the Father's Sword

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharnath View Post
    Do me a favour. Try a 5x5 barbell program with heavy emphasis on deadlifts, squats and bench presses, and tell me if it works your "deeper muscles" and "tone you from the inside out".

Seriously, that first quote is sig-worthy.
    Not as ridiculous as it sounds though (I wouldn't have stated it that way but ....). The multifidus are the smallest and deepest muscles in the spine and tend to respond well to spinal endurance type of exercise. These muscles are showing to be very important in terms of back pain/injury prevention and rehab. Just saying. Yoga type exercise definitely has its place.

Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Not as ridiculous as it sounds though (I wouldn't have stated it that way but ....). The multifidus are the smallest and deepest muscles in the spine and tend to respond well to spinal endurance type of exercise. These muscles are showing to be very important in terms of back pain/injury prevention and rehab.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the multifidus serves mainly to stabilize the spine. If this is a "deeper" muscle, and weight lifting is all about "external" muscles, then surely the multifidus isn't used when squatting and deadlifting.

Are you sure this isn't as ridiculous as it sounds?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the multifidus serves mainly to stabilize the spine. If this is a "deeper" muscle, and weight lifting is all about "external" muscles, then surely the multifidus isn't used when squatting and deadlifting.

Are you sure this isn't as ridiculous as it sounds?
    Oh, I see. Your not taking issue against yoga so much as you see her response as dissing weight lifting. Yeah, thats part of why I said its not how I would state it.

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    Yoga and Oly lifting are an amazing synergystic combo.

I think yoga is also good for those looking to reduce stress -- at least it was for me.

On hiatus currently though as I attained all of my mobility goals and am focusing on strength capacity and cardio atm.
    ad astra per aspera

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Try a 5x5 barbell program with heavy emphasis on deadlifts, squats and bench presses, and tell me if it works your "deeper muscles" and "tone you from the inside out".
    I might have been more tactful in saying so (or not), but toning is known bunk and strength is a general adaptation. Meaning you tell your CNS "you're gonna have to get stronger" and it responds. The best tool for sending this message to your CNS is called a barbell. Squats and deadlifts make every muscle stronger, deep or shallow, inside and outside, lower body and upper.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I might have been more tactful in saying so (or not), but toning is known bunk and strength is a general adaptation. Meaning you tell your CNS "you're gonna have to get stronger" and it responds. The best tool for sending this message to your CNS is called a barbell. Squats and deadlifts make every muscle stronger, deep or shallow, inside and outside, lower body and upper.
    Why I said thats not how I might of stated it (the toning bit). Lifting is great for strength of all kinds. However, muscular endurance plays an important role in stability and prevention. I do think you best add some other activities that challenge your muscular endurance and in rotational and lateral planes of motion to be more well rounded. Yoga, Tai Chi, Jiu Jitsu.....any sport specific training really. If your an athlete your already getting this, but if your a desk jockey and your only exercise is 5x5 weights your missing a component IMO.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Why I said thats not how I might of stated it (the toning bit). Lifting is great for strength of all kinds. However, muscular endurance plays an important role in stability and prevention. I do think you best add some other activities that challenge your muscular endurance and in rotational and lateral planes of motion to be more well rounded. Yoga, Tai Chi, Jiu Jitsu.....any sport specific training really. If your an athlete your already getting this, but if your a desk jockey and your only exercise is 5x5 weights your missing a component IMO.
    No argument from me on this point. If I had to give up the barbell or jiu jitsu, I'd give up the barbell without a second thought.

But that doesn't change the fact that it's the best tool we have for getting ripped &/or strong.

Yoga is great for a lot of things, including overall healthy, mobility, possible muscular and cardiovascular endurance, etc. But to claim that it's better than progressively lifting incrementally increasing loads via compound movements a lá the barbell training programs Kharnath references is either disingenuous or uninformed.

I think you and I are on the same side of this argument.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast