Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: getting ripped...with YOGA! page 2

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharnath View Post
    Do me a favour. Try a 5x5 barbell program with heavy emphasis on deadlifts, squats and bench presses, and tell me if it works your "deeper muscles" and "tone you from the inside out".

Seriously, that first quote is sig-worthy.
    Ok. I'll do it if you lie on your stomach and try to bring your toes to the back of your head.

We'll see who gets there first

PS> I said 'generally'.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    I did Ashtanga very seriously for about 3 years but it killed my adrenals. A body by science type of weight lifting protocol has definitely made me stronger than the yoga did. I have missed the flexibility of the yoga and the way it seems to work every single fragment of muscle in the entire body. What I don't miss is how it totally killed my adrenal glands and took up almost 2 hours of my day, everyday.

I have often wondered what would happen if the two were somewhat combined... like a full long session of Ashtanga, but only once a week to allow for recovery and muscle growth. Oh course eating paleo now vs. my then vegan nearly fat free diet has something to do with it too

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Ok. I'll do it if you lie on your stomach and try to bring your toes to the back of your head.

We'll see who gets there first

PS> I said 'generally'.
    Kids, kids, kids, settle down. You're comparing apples to oranges. Both resistance training with barbells and yoga have their place in the sun. You'd be wise to dabble in both.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Kids, kids, kids, settle down. You're comparing apples to oranges. Both resistance training with barbells and yoga have their place in the sun. You'd be wise to dabble in both.
    He started it!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    He started it!
    Well, technically you did by making claims about weight training while admitting you've never trained with weights.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Well, technically you did by making claims about weight training while admitting you've never trained with weights.
    I was kidding...!!!

And I should edit that comment... When I first started trying to get fit I used to go to the gym three times a week and lift weights. It was probably 5 years ago. It had really good, quick effects, but they didn't last. I never lift now.

But I'm not qualified beyond my own experience in weight lifting so I'm sure there are more effective ways to train. That are long lasting.

Men are so sensitive!

- Ray Peat

SophieScreams is offline Senior Member
    Everyone chillax.

No one's putting down weightlifting. We can be strong, flexible, rational Groks and Grokettes by incorporating both. Namaste.
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    The benefits of yoga can be quite subtle yet far-reaching.

For example it stimulates the internal organs.

I find that if I do a few yoga poses before doing a plank at the beginning of a work-out, this increases my time by about 30% on average. Yoga facilitates energy focus, calm and mindfulness.

It's a holistic discipline that the grunts are jumping at the bit to dismiss.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    The benefits of yoga can be quite subtle yet far-reaching.

For example it stimulates the internal organs.

I find that if I do a few yoga poses before doing a plank at the beginning of a work-out, this increases my time by about 30% on average. Yoga facilitates energy focus, calm and mindfulness.

It's a holistic discipline that the grunts are jumping at the bit to dismiss.
    At this place I used to go to, the instructor had us spend a few minutes rubbing our own feet to stimulate various internal organs. But that's probs not what you meant ; )

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharnath View Post
    Do me a favour. Try a 5x5 barbell program with heavy emphasis on deadlifts, squats and bench presses, and tell me if it works your "deeper muscles" and "tone you from the inside out".

Seriously, that first quote is sig-worthy.
    You sure showed her bro.

Does she even lift???
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast