Thread: The plank page

Drlove is offline Senior Member

The plank

Primal Fuel
    Hey,

About the plank exercise. When I do them I shake quite a lot (from the beginning of the movement), and my elbows hurt (when doing them on the floor). Is that legit or am I doing something wrong?

edit: One more thing, I feel like a lot of blood is rushing to my head, is that legit too?

And in general, are there any good substitutes for the plank?
    Last edited by Drlove; 01-06-2013 at 07:18 AM.

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    You're shaking because your stabilizing muscles aren't developed.
    Keep at it, and you'll get better at it.
    If your elbows hurt, try putting some pillows between your elbows and the floor, or get a set of elbow pads.

Quote Originally Posted by counterpuncher View Post
    If your elbows hurt, try putting some pillows between your elbows and the floor, or get a set of elbow pads.
    Thanks!, it's not only my elbow but the whole bone from elbow to wrist, (that thin bone that goes along the side of your hands). I guess a pillow will do the job though.

Oh and one more thing, I feel like a lot of blood is rushing to my head, is that legit too?
    Last edited by Drlove; 01-06-2013 at 07:18 AM.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Are you breathing while you plank? You should be. Holding your breath might cause that headrush feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    Are you breathing while you plank? You should be. Holding your breath might cause that headrush feeling.
    I thought it might be something like that. I do breath but maybe not as regularly as I should (focusing on the form and all), It might just be it. Thanks!

Cavecloth is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by counterpuncher View Post
    I agree. You also need to make sure you are using proper form. You don't want your butt high in the air, or too low. Try to keep you back flat and keep at it. Your muscles will strengthen with time and it will become easier

jakey is offline Senior Member
    hey, your elbows and arms should get used to it.

you know, i used to think that plank was a critical move. i still consider it far, far more useful than crunches, which are stupid. but i don't think it's critical anymore, if you're training right otherwise.

between deep squats and pull-ups, i think the core is trained totally adequately. if you keep your legs in front of you during pull-ups and keep your abs tensed, i actually consider them to be one of the best ab exercises, period. also, overhead pressing demands a tight mid-section.

i guess the longer i train, the more i question the need for any direct ab work. compound movements really take care of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavecloth View Post
    I agree. You also need to make sure you are using proper form. You don't want your butt high in the air, or too low. Try to keep you back flat and keep at it. Your muscles will strengthen with time and it will become easier
    The point is, I barely feel my core, I mostly feel like it's tough to remain on my hands in that position.

Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    hey, your elbows and arms should get used to it.

you know, i used to think that plank was a critical move. i still consider it far, far more useful than crunches, which are stupid. but i don't think it's critical anymore, if you're training right otherwise.

between deep squats and pull-ups, i think the core is trained totally adequately. if you keep your legs in front of you during pull-ups and keep your abs tensed, i actually consider them to be one of the best ab exercises, period. also, overhead pressing demands a tight mid-section.

i guess the longer i train, the more i question the need for any direct ab work. compound movements really take care of it.
    I agree, I really feel my core while doing pull-ups.

reallygravity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drlove View Post

And in general, are there any good substitutes for the plank?
    Maybe start here (modified plank), and once you feel better with your form, work yourself to full plank?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoljlUvGZZ0