Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cake question, what to use instead of sugar and flour page 2

Suse is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    A smoothie wont cut the mustard I'm afraid. sometimes it is the texture of something that you long for! A nice light fluffy cake ! I'll certainly experiment and see what I can come up with though that is a bit healthier than the current recipe.

It's all early days for me at this stage. I've just purchased stevia to put in my tea so thats a start in the sugar reduction.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Does anyone know if there is a recipe anywhere for a primal cheesecake?

Or is that not possible.

frogfarm is offline Member
    trudgin' across the tundra, mile after mile
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
    Does anyone know if there is a recipe anywhere for a primal cheesecake?

Or is that not possible.
    Not only is it possible, it's way easier than trying to make something "primal" out of anything grain-based!

http://www.sonofgrok.com/2009/02/time-for-cheesecake/

I make this recipe without crust, use only egg yolks (no whites), and substitute coconut cream for the sour cream.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by frogfarm View Post
    Not only is it possible, it's way easier than trying to make something "primal" out of anything grain-based!

http://www.sonofgrok.com/2009/02/time-for-cheesecake/

I make this recipe without crust, use only egg yolks (no whites), and substitute coconut cream for the sour cream.
    I'm not going to make the crust either because its more work than the tasty part. Why not use sour cream or egg whites? Also could you substitute something else for sour cream beside coconut?

Finally, do you reckon a plain cheesecake (e.g. no strawberries) would taste ok? Or should I add more vanilla?
    Last edited by Bushrat; 04-21-2010 at 05:29 AM.

frogfarm is offline Member
    trudgin' across the tundra, mile after mile
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
    I'm not going to make the crust either because its more work than the tasty part. Why not use sour cream or egg whites? Also could you substitute something else for sour cream beside coconut?
    If you aren't concerned about overloading on dairy, go for the sour cream! I can't think of any other substitutes right offhand, but I'm sure there's a couple. I like the CC because it's non-dairy and high in awesome fats, plus it helps add a bit of sweetness without extra sweetener. I use yolks alone because I prefer the texture and taste (okay, I'm not eating this stuff now, but if I wouldn't eat it why would I serve it to my friends and family?), and also because it keeps the protein-fat balance weighted in favor of the fat.

Finally, do you reckon a plain cheesecake (e.g. no strawberries) would taste ok? Or should I add more vanilla?
    If I didn't want to serve it with fruit, then more vanilla (homemade is best of course). And possibly sweetener -- what kind to use and how much is an eternal debate, but I always add as little as possible. The last cheesecake I made was 3 packages of cream cheese, 5 egg yolks and a half a can of coconut cream, made roughly 8 servings, but only had 1 tablespoon of honey for the whole thing. Got a five-star review from my friend who still eats Little Debbie snacks despite being mostly paleo
    Last edited by frogfarm; 04-21-2010 at 09:40 AM. Reason: added more fat

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    To the OP: I am imagining the recipe calls for eggs, yes? Why not mix all the ingredients for the cake as you normally would (making the requisite primal adjustments) but only with egg yolks? Then whip the egg whites to stiff peaks and fold them in. This will help lighten up the almond flour-based cake and you'll get more of a spongy genoise texture.

MmmFat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by frogfarm View Post
    Reason: added more fat
    Love it!

SwimSister is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It looks to me like the best thing for the OP in this case is to not mess with the recipe, but just eat a little and make it part of your 20%. One thing I have done when I want a sweet baked treat, but don't want a whole pan of it sitting around, is to cut the recipe down as much as possible. For example, if the recipe calls for 4 eggs, I can make 1/4 of the recipe pretty easily by cutting all the amounts by 4 (the eggs would be cut down to 1). Find measuring cups that have ounces, tablespoons, and milliliters on them so it's easier to figure out the new measurements. For example, 3/4 cup is 6 ounces, so half of 3/4 cup is 3 ounces, and quarter of 3/4 cup is 1.5 ounces. I hope this helps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12