Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eating Conventional Wizdom meats/chicken/fish page

BeatMD is offline Member

Eating Conventional Wizdom meats/chicken/fish

Primal Fuel
    Ok I know I'm suppose to stay away from Walmart types of meats. But it's really hard to shop organic/free range/ grass fed food with going to college and paying rent. So I just eat meat from my Walmart sometimes Trader Joes. Question is am I really doing bad? I feel I have it in my head to change my diet to a primal style type, just can't afford it. Give me some input.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Not bad if its all you can do.
    But these meats are best to avoid the fattier cuts, and trim where possible, due to the nasties being fat soluble.
    Just do what you can Just avoid the crap foods and you will be all good.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Buy what you can find and afford.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

ItalianPaleoDude is offline Junior Member
    Thank God you can choose what to buy. In my country (Italy) there's no way to find grassfed meat. The Paleo movement is growing, but still not enough to convince big meat producers to start raising pastured animals.

You're lucky since you have the option. This is one of the many reasons I wish I lived in the US

Warmbear is offline Senior Member
    If you can find a butcher in a poorer neighborhood near you, I would get my meat from him. It will be fresh and if you buy in bulk it will be cheaper. If you tell him what you want and why he can help a valued regular customer plus the quality is always going to be better. It may not be organic grass fed chi chi meat but it wont be industrial either.

Also go for things like liver and heart, they are way cheaper than muscle meat and eggs, get thee to a farmers market and find an egg dealer that sells organic pastured eggs. I pay $15 CDN for 60 at the local market.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Zeera is offline Senior Member
    I definitely know where you are coming from BeatMD. I'm in college too and it's true that its not always easy to afford the best meat possible, but I decided that my health is more of a priority to me then some other things in my life, like cable tv. So I have cut expenses in some places in order to buy myself the best food possible. To me I'd much rather know that I'm setting myself up for a healthy future than watch hours of tv or own the latest smart phone anyway. Are there any things you could cut expenses on to free up some of your budget for higher quality foods? Like for instance if you are a coffee drinker and habitually buy a $2 cup of it every day you could start making your own at home etc.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    The only thing I would caution re: Walmart is the ground beef. They came out pro-pink slime, and my understanding is that they are still using it. Leave it to Walmart to take CAFO to a new low.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

BeatMD is offline Member
    WOW Thanks for all the responses! Thanks for reminding me about the butcher, growing up my grandpa had one that would actually deliver to your house. So I'm going to find his company again and maybe get a little discount since my grandpa was a long time buyer. Also I do have some things I could cut out such as buying new shoes/clothes every month. Thanks guys appriciate the help.

I'd also be wary of the meats that are "pre-seasoned" (like pork loins and such). I eat supermarket meat all the time and I'm doing fine. Just get what you can afford.

Loneketo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Not bad if its all you can do.
    But these meats are best to avoid the fattier cuts, and trim where possible, due to the nasties being fat soluble.
    Just do what you can Just avoid the crap foods and you will be all good.
    I've never bought grass-fed or whatever you call it, It has insignificant nutritional and beneficial differences between compared to grain-fed. And as far as I know, I haven't seen a study that proves antibiotics, and all these hormone that are stored in adipose tissue actually affect humans who eat the grain-fed. The meat industry has done a rather good job despite what others think about them, providing real nutrition that is cheaper regardless of whether the cows are "happy."(a human emotion).

And to OP, do yourself a favor and enjoy the fat of the meat. Unless your worried about ethics, save your money.
    Last edited by Loneketo; 01-06-2013 at 05:33 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast