Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Julia Child page

JoanieL is offline Senior Member

Julia Child

Shop Now
    I'm watching some 1999 episodes of Julia & Jacque Cooking at Home (not always primal, especially the sandwich episode). Julia was cool. While the first few episodes, it seemed like she was apologizing for butter, later on she took a stand on tuna. Paraphrasing, she basically said that canned tuna in water was crap because the water turned the tuna to mush. She liked her canned tuna in olive oil (spendy stuff).

Anyway, her veggie show and her beef show, and some others are pretty primal. I'm loving watching her (and miss her). Oh, and every time she calls Jacque, "Jack," I crack up.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I love her and her PBS series with Jacques. Certainly not primal all the time, but MANY of the dishes are very primal. I use her cookbook a lot for making meat and veggie dishes.

I love how she refuses to shy away from fat and embraces eating real, whole foods that are prepared with love.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    My daughters and I watched that movie Julie and Julia, and one of my kids, who wants to be a chef BTW, was overjoyed to find out that I have that original cookbook in my collection. Vol 2 also. Well, she got it into her head that she HAD to make Julia's boeuf bourguignon recipe - so we did, a couple of weeks ago.

I have to tell you all - after 19 YEARS of trying everything, including Martha Stewart's stew recipes, to find a beef stew my hubby would rave over, this was it! The dude actually bragged to his boss about how good it was. You will lose a whole bottle of red wine in this recipe (we doubled it), but it will make your mouth sing. You also should see how much bacon goes in...

jammies, when I read your post, I remembered on one of the episodes how she said that if frozen spinach was all you could find, you should use something else. She wasn't big on frozen peas, either.

Crabcakes, thank you for reminding me. I'm still putting together a list of new things or challenging things to try in 2013. I just added Julia's boeuf bourguignon to the list.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    When Julia is on TV I'll watch it just because she's entertaining. Even if it's a completely non-primal recipe, it's probably something classic/iconic.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    I adore Julia. I concur with Crabbcakes her Boeuf Bourguignon is the best.

Joanie if you like watching Julia you may enjoy the BBC show Two Fat Ladies. DH and I watched the first disc from netflix and just about everything they made was primal, we skipped the episodes on cakes. They're very entertaining and not at all afraid to use fat! I made their meatloaf and it was the best ever.

Thanks UForager, I'll see what I can find. Two Fat Ladies sounds familiar, like something I may have seen back when I had real tv. *chuckle* Now I subsist on what I can find online.

Just finished watching the soup episode. Only thing non-primal was a tblspn of flour she put into the fish stew. Easily subbed with potato starch, I'd imagine.

I'm starting to love Jacques also. His talent with knives, his rustic, down to earth style of preparing beautiful food, his deference to her, even his accent (ooh la la).

Off to watch episode: Eggs (Oeufs?)
    Last edited by JoanieL; 01-06-2013 at 09:19 AM.

B*tch-lite

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    One of the best cookbooks I have is Julia's The Way to Cook. There are master recipes then 7 or 8 simple variations so if you learn one technique you have 8 different meals.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

oxide is offline Senior Member
    I guess everyone forgot about Baking with Julia. There goes her primal street cred.
    5'0" female, 42 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: 105.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Zanna is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    One of the best cookbooks I have is Julia's The Way to Cook. There are master recipes then 7 or 8 simple variations so if you learn one technique you have 8 different meals.
    I love that cookbook! Other cookbooks gave me new recipes to try - that one taught me to cook. I still go back to it for techniques. It's actually the only cookbook, aside from a book on preserving food, that made it out of the moving boxes two years ago. Once you know the master recipes, you aren't tied to ingredients, just buy what is fresh. Julia encourages you to do that in the book.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast