Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Julia Child page 2

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    I love Julia in all her buttery greatness.

I recently ran across my Mom's copy of Mastering the Art of French Cooking while cleaning out my folks' house for sale. I remember learning how to cook out of that book as a kid. Mom called me her "sous chef".

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I know Oxide, she straddled her love of fat and CW. I cringed when she started a duck dish in vegetable oil - only about a tablespoon, but enough for me to go, "No, Julia, no!" (Yes, I talk to the tv, but only cooking shows.)

If anyone is interested, Hulu has all 22 episodes of the J&J show for free. I don't work for them.

They (J&J) both did a terrific job, I thought, of teaching the why of stuff, and Julia does mention a few times that recipes are guides, not written in stone.

So, now I feel like a little kid with a cold (I have some kind of winter crud) - I'm bored and there are no more episodes. Maybe I'll check out youtube and see what they have there.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member

Julia Child on MacDonalds

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    I love Julia! The first episode I watched was Julia cutting up steaks. She threw down this side of beef, took a machete off the wall and started pointing out cuts and wacking away, bone and bits flying, then she'd lay this perfect steak on the tray. It was awesome!

One of Munchkin's favorite movies is still the Julia parts of Julie & Julia. Even when she was a baby she'd focus on the cooking parts.
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

Mainer is offline Senior Member
    Julia rocks as does the Mastering the Art of French Cooking!
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Shelli is offline Senior Member
    I loved the segment of the Julia and Jaques show where they made picnic sandwiches. Jacque began a big spiel about what wine to drink with their sandwichs and she cut him short - said "I like beer", and plunked a couple bottles down on the counter in front of him. They had beer. Loved it!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    OMG, that sandwich he made by digging out the innards of the big loaf of crispy bread and then filling it with fish, butter, and other stuff and then baking it all. Almost made say, "Screw Grok, I'm making that puppy." But I didn't.

Oh, and she's right - beer would be better with those.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

PrimalWannabeGirl is offline Senior Member
    I LOVE Julia!

It's funny, I'm on a Julia kick right now. I just finished reading Julia Child's book MY LIFE IN FRANCE co-authored with Alex Prudhomme. It's a phenomenal book, really captures her joie de vivre and chronicles how she became....well, Julia Child. I also just acquired (for the first time) Mastering the Art of French Cooking (vol.1 and 2) and I can't wait to try the beef stew!

Pea

seashells is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalWannabeGirl View Post
    I LOVE Julia!

It's funny, I'm on a Julia kick right now. I just finished reading Julia Child's book MY LIFE IN FRANCE co-authored with Alex Prudhomme. It's a phenomenal book, really captures her joie de vivre and chronicles how she became....well, Julia Child. I also just acquired (for the first time) Mastering the Art of French Cooking (vol.1 and 2) and I can't wait to try the beef stew!

Pea
    I also loved that biography! Good call, highly recommended. Also I borrowed MTAOFC from my brother-in-law who was a chef as well as The Lutece Cookbook. Think I'm going to have to make some rich, French meals this winter!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12