Thread: Allergic Reaction to Raw Cashews? Itchy, Itchy and Itchy!!! page

Ahava is offline Junior Member

Question Allergic Reaction to Raw Cashews? Itchy, Itchy and Itchy!!!

Shop Now
    I am curious to know if anyone else has experienced an allergic reaction to raw cashews. I had some last night for a snack and into the night I became increasingly itchy all over (head to toe). I woke up in the morning and had no idea it was the cashews until I went to google and searched (itchy paleo eating) as I have been on Paleo for about 6 weeks. Low and behold I learned about the shell of the cashew and it's relationship to poison ivy. I have been using Benadryl lotion but it is really itchy. Anyone else experience this? I think I will never eat a raw cashew again.

I had a boyfriend in high school who was severely allergic to cashews. Like - anaphylactic shock, carried around an epi-pen just in case kind of allergic. So yeah, it happens - you're not alone! :-)

Primal123 is offline Senior Member
    I've had it happen with other foods. Unfortunately, the last time I was only able to narrow it down to two possible ingredients in what I had so I avoid both as it was also accompanied by severe stomach cramps, sweating, and a feeling of dread. The first time I knew what caused it but for the life of me can't recall now. Cashews cause my elbow joints to ache.

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    Yes, it's common. If they bother you, avoid them.

i have the same reaction if i touch a mango skin, and they are related to cashews.

Ahava is offline Junior Member
    I also read about the Mangos...strange. I am still itchy and looking forward to the itch going away!!!

with the mango skins, it takes a few days for the itch to go away. If I get exposed to a lot of the oil, sometimes little sores will even form wherever it touches.

Bear is offline Senior Member
    I have a reaction to hazel nuts. Makes my throat feel weird. Don't eat them anymore.