Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whoa... I think I'm high... page 3

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    I brew mine at about a strength of one tablespoon per "tea/coffee cup" (six ounces), brew the same leaves about three times. I know you can rebrew the same leave MANY more times than that, but I like my mate strong and I think it gets a bit weak on fourth and successive brewings.
    You are brewing it far too weak to my taste Drumroll! Here in South America we drink yerba mate from a special wooden cup and we use a metal bombilla to drink through. Fill up the cup 2/3 full with mate and pour on warm water! You can refill it until the taste weakens, normally 3-4 times...

MateCup1sm_.jpg

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    You are brewing it far too weak to my taste Drumroll! Here in South America we drink yerba mate from a special wooden cup and we use a metal bombilla to drink through. Fill up the cup 2/3 full with mate and pour on warm water! You can refill it until the taste weakens, normally 3-4 times...
    Sorry, but I don't have a bombilla or gourd, so using that method really isn't practical for me, alas... My brew comes out plenty strong because I use a coffee machine. I actually think that this produces a far stronger brew than using a tea strainer or French press or anything. I'm not sure why this is, but I can taste it in the cup!

I could play around with more leaves I guess, but who knows if I might end up going overboard since I'm using the coffee machine method. At first I felt unauthentic using this method, but research revealed that many South Americans use this method when spending the day at home because it's easier and less messy and only break out the gourd when they're out and about. There is obviously different preferences however.

I've also tried the terer้ method (steeping mate in ice cold water for 40-60 minutes) and that is pretty nice for the summertime.

Sorry, but I don't have a bombilla or gourd, so using that method really isn't practical for me, alas... My brew comes out plenty strong because I use a coffee machine. I actually think that this produces a far stronger brew than using a tea strainer or French press or anything. I'm not sure why this is, but I can taste it in the cup!
    Interesting, I may try it one day. Yerba mate is a great drink, but if brewing it strong it can upset your stomach until getting used to it!

Here some more info:

Gourds - yerba mate

Interesting, I may try it one day. Yerba mate is a great drink, but if brewing it strong it can upset your stomach until getting used to it!
    Well, I prefer "Gong-fu" style tea brewing which uses about three times the amount of tea leaves as normal "western" brewing does. It's how most Chinese people brew their teas in fact. But those accustomed to weaker Western brewing methods might have stomach issues as well. So I'd probably do ok with more mate leaves in my brew.

It'd really be more of a question of the proper ratio of leaf to water. I can't really guesstimate based on the size of my vessel when the vessel is a drip coffee machine. Playing around would be necessary and probably result in some overly strong and ruined cups until I got it right. Heh.

Unless you had a good estimate for the amount of leaf you use per six ounces (one cup for coffee and tea measures) of water roughly?

Unless you had a good estimate for the amount of leaf you use per six ounces (one cup for coffee and tea measures) of water roughly?
    I'm afraid I haven't, because I have never been drinking Yerba without the traditional equipment, but in the link I posted above you can get an indication of a rather traditional way to prepeare it. Good luck with your experiments...

I'm afraid I haven't, because I have never been drinking Yerba without the traditional equipment, but in the link I posted above you can get an indication of a rather traditional way to prepeare it. Good luck with your experiments...
    One of these days I might want to invest in a good gourd and bombilla, yep. But for now, experimenting to find a nice, strong brew that isn't overpowering will be the key.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    is this it?

johnmjoy is offline Member
    I'm having a cup now - made in a French press. Tastes a bit like some ginseng tea I had years ago.

Too soon to tell re: effects. Anything interesting and I'll report back.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    is this it?
    Yerba mate and mint leaves in teabags?! Not the "real thing" in my opinion...

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    oh crap really? Damn I ordered some

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast