Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whoa... I think I'm high... page 2

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaohinon View Post
    Go Yerba Mate

dunno if it applies to NZ, but this is the cheapest and most authentic mate you can get in the U.S. Argentina brands are the best, particularly Rosamonte and Cruz de Malta.

I'm suspicious of the green, unsmoked stuff since what I tried was incredibly bitter - like, cyanide bitter. And there has to be a good reason that it's traditionally always been smoked or roasted.
    Nah, the stuff I have tastes exactly like mate, just without the smoke. Quite a bit "greener" I guess, though mate already has that going on to some extent. I've never experienced an overly bitter taste from it. But then again, I do drink my tea and coffee (when I have it) totally plain.

I do drink the smoked stuff once in a while, but I'd never make it a daily habit.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    I've had about eight cups of mate (rebrewed each set of leaves three times until it got weak, so on leaf set three right now). And I fell, kind of... Well... Floaty and out of body. Everything seems to sounds louder, look brighter, and be much more INTENSE than normal, as if I had heightened senses. I kind of like it. Heh.

I've been fasting all day so far, and did do a bit of a lifting workout at the gym today, so those may be contributing to the feeling, and I'm planning dinner in the near future which may take the edge off of it a bit. I'm not starved at the moment though, blood sugar is stable, as far as I know, I'm not sick, and my sleep has been really good lately, so a lack of that can't be contributing either.
    I'm wondering why I haven't felt this way before though. This is my first time and I've been drinking it for some time now. But... Man, just one more reaon to KEEP drinking it.
    Yep, sounds like a mate' buzz with a chaser of ketosis. Good combination.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Yep, sounds like a mate' buzz with a chaser of ketosis. Good combination.
    Maybe, although I think ketosis tends to make me feel more grounded and therefore LESS floaty, like I stay more in tune with reality.

It's possible that combining the two can create some interesting combinations though.

Paleobird Guest
    Drumroll;1052991]Maybe, although I think ketosis tends to make me feel more grounded and therefore LESS floaty, like I stay more in tune with reality.

It's possible that combining the two can create some interesting combinations though.
    Yep, like a shot of tequila and a line of coke only your combo is much better for you. Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Yep, like a shot of tequila and a line of coke only your combo is much better for you. Enjoy
    One of the reasons I am more productive in ketosis is that I can keep reality in my mind. I keep track of priorities based on "most to least important" and being in ketosis seems to eliminate the fog in my brain that keeps me from accurately determining where to place things on this list of priorities.

Wow, if I've found a legal, safe, and even arguably HEALTHFUL way to simulate recreational drugs, then I might be onto something here.

valmason01 is online now Senior Member
    You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Yerba mate is great stuff! I used to drink a lot of it when camping in the Atacama desert, sipping it trough the bombilla and meditating under the starry sky! And yes, it gives a special buzz, if taken strong as it should of course...

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaohinon View Post
    Check out peoples' experiences on Erowid, lots of folks report a "high"-like effect. Really though it's just that mate has an award-winning combination of chemicals that energize and relax the body & mind.

And fwiw, mate + weed is the best drug combination, bar none, at least for those of us who aren't into the hard stuff.
    This explains why mate is so popular in my neck of the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Yerba mate is great stuff! I used to drink a lot of it when camping in the Atacama desert, sipping it trough the bombilla and meditating under the starry sky! And yes, it gives a special buzz, if taken strong as it should of course...
    I brew mine at about a strength of one tablespoon per "tea/coffee cup" (six ounces), brew the same leaves about three times. I know you can rebrew the same leave MANY more times than that, but I like my mate strong and I think it gets a bit weak on fourth and successive brewings.

I find I can drink as much of it as I want and never suffer from too much caffeine like coffe can easily do. Even if I have consumed as much caffeine as I might have from coffee, it definately hits me differently, so I have a MUCH higher tollerance.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast