Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: So I'm going to do this "not washing hair" thing. What's in store?! page 9

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    No, that's normal for the transition. That's why I decided to do it in the summer, when my hair would be up most of the time and the grease would be unnoticeable. It might work better for you to just slowly expand the number of days between washing. If you 'poo daily, maybe do try washing on Monday, then Wed, Thur, Sat, Sun, Tue, Thur, Sat, Mon, Thur, Sat, Tue, etc., getting more and more time between each one to give you scalp a chance to get the notice that it doesn't need to keep pouring sebum everywhere, but without looking like a sebumy mess, either.

My dh was lucky and transitioned in just two days. Not I It took weeks. 4-6 weeks is a standard time for a lot of people if they go cold turkey.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Erik W is offline Member
    I haven't used shampoo for six or seven years, works fine! It takes about five or six weeks for the hair to adjust, I kept my hair really short for those first few weeks.

RandyStimpson is offline Member
    It turns out that dogs get their vitamin D by licking it off their fur. So if you and your other are both doing this no washing hair thing maybe you could lick the vitamin D off each others hair and save money on supplements (wink).

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Actually, along those lines, it's been found that you can go out in the sun all you want, but if you then hop in the shower (and especially if you then use shampoo & soap), you will wash off all your D. Who knew?!

It takes 24hrs or more for D to absorb fully, but I suspect most of it absorbs in the first few hours.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    Actually, along those lines, it's been found that you can go out in the sun all you want, but if you then hop in the shower (and especially if you then use shampoo & soap), you will wash off all your D. Who knew?!

It takes 24hrs or more for D to absorb fully, but I suspect most of it absorbs in the first few hours.
    Wow - peachy skin, here we come!

SO - now I've been shampoo free for 15 days. My hair looks fine! The egg yolks I washed it with on Saturday morning completely sorted out any dullness, and it doesn't look remotely greasy (in the past I had to wash it every two days). Maybe of one of those quickly adapting people...

Also, this will sound bizarre, but is it possible that my hair has started growing faster?! I dyed my hair two weeks ago, and the roots are already showing. Normally it takes at least a month for that to happen.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

ErinF is offline Senior Member
    I just started this no shampoo craziness and wondered if any of the previous post-ers have curly hair. Mine is a crazy curly mess and in the past I had to use a LOT of products to tame it. I'm hoping I won't have to do this anymore, but wanted to see if anyone else had any advice for no-poo and curly.

sigzephyr is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ErinF View Post
    I just started this no shampoo craziness and wondered if any of the previous post-ers have curly hair. Mine is a crazy curly mess and in the past I had to use a LOT of products to tame it. I'm hoping I won't have to do this anymore, but wanted to see if anyone else had any advice for no-poo and curly.
    My hair is curly and looks way better without shampooing. It is no longer frizzy and seems weighed down by the amount of oil in it. Looks better than ever, when it feels like it needs a wash i use Baking soda followed by ACV, probably once a week.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ErinF View Post
    My hair is curly too and is much nicer now that i have given up shampoo. I still use products, but they are all in line with the naturally curly girl recommendations so they are okay for curly hair and won't build up even if you don't shampoo.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Paleobird Guest
    I just tried the eggs and coconut cream wash yesterday and my hair feels soft and fluffy like bunny fur. I used one whole egg and one yolk but next time i think I'll go for just the yolks to make it a bit thicker.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    so do you coat it on and leave it for a bit, does it take a lot to rinse it out?

Primal Organic Shampoo Bar – Primal Life Organics.... Paleo Skincare I use this at the moment, maybe once a week. But do plan on just doing the baking soda/ACV once it runs out. After I wash with the bar, I do a rinse with ACV.

I have used the oil cleansing method on my face and I love how it feels.

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast