Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: So I'm going to do this "not washing hair" thing. What's in store?! page 8

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quit wheat back in April. My hair was beautiful until somewhere around October and started falling out. I did have a cinnamon roll and a brownie over the holidays and I have had corn. This week it has gotten worse. It is driving me crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I can't relate to the hair falling out (mine stopped when I gave up wheat. What's your diet like?) but I can relate to the "hanging in there". I think I'm on day 12. Hair still looks dull, and bizarrely, I've started having shampoo-hair-washing dreams..!

If it doesnt look better after three weeks I may have to cave...

What are the shampoos you use?

I only wash my hair max once a month in a natural shampoo (have done that for a year now) and I love all the time it saves me and how nice my hair looks and behaves and it doesn't get static anymore. I never ever liked washing hair regularly, especially in the winter.

In the beginning I used a dry shampoo (powder you can buy) to take up the ekstra grease the scalp produced in the beginning
    You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    Add in some carbs to your diet, at least 150g, and have some dark chocolate a few times a week.
    Low carb may be good for some, but it's a disaster for many.
    Starts out good, with good weight loss.
    But around 6 months in, it seems like the weight loss stops for many, metabolism dies out, and other weird things start happening too. (hair loss, for one).
    Last edited by counterpuncher; 01-12-2013 at 08:50 AM.

ToldUzo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by valmason01 View Post
    What are the shampoos you use?
    The few times I use shampoo now I have one from "Logona" (an organic shampoo - they have different kinds - also for dandruff). The dry shampoo was called "Hair powder" and was a danish brand.
    What on earth?! Take a walk on the wild side.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Increased sebum production happens for the first month until your body balances it out, supposedly. During the "detox" period, your hair will probably look terrible. I wouldn't recommend not using any cleaning products if you have excess sebum production or bad inflammation/irritation though, as the shift will probably make the problem a lot worse.

Just washing your hair every week or so should give a nice balance of oil and sebum.
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

I am type II diabetic. 150g are way too much for me. And I eat dark chocolate almost daily. If I eat more than 50g of carbs a day my blood glucose and weight go up.

Quote Originally Posted by counterpuncher View Post
    Add in some carbs to your diet, at least 150g, and have some dark chocolate a few times a week.
    Low carb may be good for some, but it's a disaster for many.
    Starts out good, with good weight loss.
    But around 6 months in, it seems like the weight loss stops for many, metabolism dies out, and other weird things start happening too. (hair loss, for one).

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

frenchie79 is offline Member
    Being an RN I have to deal a lot with people who do not wash their hair. The smell is horrible. Just saying.
    5'7'' 130 lbs, primal since August 2011

My journal:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread78819.html

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Washed my hair with four egg yolks yesterday and it looks great! Totally took away any dullness and pretty much had the same effect as shampoo - but without the abrasiveness

Quit wheat back in April. My hair was beautiful until somewhere around October and started falling out. I did have a cinnamon roll and a brownie over the holidays and I have had corn. This week it has gotten worse. It is driving me crazy.
    I am type II diabetic. 150g are way too much for me. And I eat dark chocolate almost daily. If I eat more than 50g of carbs a day my blood glucose and weight go up.
    Well there are a few things that can make hair fall out. Diet is one, but stress also plays a huge role. A lot of people's hair starts to fall out if they go through emotional upheaval. Or it could be hormonal.

I second the suggestion to add more carbs back in, but if you're type two diabetic maybe experiment incrementally and see if some carbs effect your hair quality. If you want to keep them under 50g you could supplement instead of the dark chocolate .
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Aaaaaaaaand frenchie also did not pay attention to anything said in this thread prior to that post. People whose unwashed hair stinks are not doing what we're doing. Guaranteed.

150g carbs/day is unnaturally high for most of the world this time of year. Unless you get 12hrs daylight year in and year out & constant temps above 80F, I'd do a little more seasonal variation. Of course, there's ultimately no arguing with the glucose meter.

Hair falling out is a definite call for testing free T3.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Getting blood work done this week. I want this resolved. The hair doesn't look great but it really needs a cut too. Hopefully I can do that soon.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post

Hair falling out is a definite call for testing free T3.

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Zeera is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I decided to give the no shampoo thing a try the last 4 days since I was going to be home the whole time, but I caved earlier this afternoon and washed it. My hair was just so greasy, limp, and it was sticking together in chunks and plastered to my head. It looked truly gross. I guess I must be an extreme extra oil producer. I'm not sure going shampoo free will work for me, but perhaps if I ever have a longer span of time where I won't have to go into class or work I will try again.

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast