Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: So I'm going to do this "not washing hair" thing. What's in store?! page 6

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    A lot of people do conditioner-only. Yours sounds great!

I think Marcia Brady did the egg wash. Or maybe my rerun memory is off!
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Isfahel is offline Senior Member
    I started making soap and made a shampoo bar out of coconut, olive, almond, and castor oil and it's amazing. I've done no-poo before and it was just ok... This soap I love, my hair looks great and I never have to use conditioner, and it's so nice and easy

Greensprout is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Isfahel View Post
    I started making soap and made a shampoo bar out of coconut, olive, almond, and castor oil and it's amazing. I've done no-poo before and it was just ok... This soap I love, my hair looks great and I never have to use conditioner, and it's so nice and easy
    I'd love to know how you make that, and how you use it.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    zoebird, I'd gladly pay you to make some makeup for me!
    I second that - it's amazingly innovative Zoe!

What do people use here as body lotions? A few months ago I started using almond oil with essential oils, and I'm loving the results. I found this UK website that sells real essential oils, as many of the ones you buy in stores are synthetic: NHR Organic Essential Oils - Index
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I use coconut oil as a moisturizer.

Make up is easy.

Mascara recipe -- But i use cocoa (raw, no stuff in it) instead of activated charcoal or kohl on account of being blond. I also use a syringe (reusable) to fill the bottle, rather than a baggy (which is disposable).

tinted gloss/balm -- coconut oil, bees wax, essential oils (if you want, i don't bother), and beet root powder (which you can get t the health food store). you just add the amount of beetroot powder to get the intensity that you want. If it comes in vegetable capsules, you can just toss them in the garden and they'll melt in the rain. You can also add tumeric to the beet root to get a more peachy or coral-y color.

you can use the gloss/balm for blush as well.

for eye shadows, a lot of people use straight-up berry juice (black berry, blueberry, etc). some mix berry juice and spiralina for mascara and eye liner (it's a blue-y black color), or you can use beet powder, rice powder (white), and cocoa (brown) as well. by mixing the three at various amounts (ie, a little pink, a lot of white, no brown; a lot of pink, a little brown, no white; etc), you can get a wide variety of whites/browns/pinks, and if you add tumeric, you can also get more golden hues. just brush them on like any powder make up, really, and it's good.

It usually requires refreshing mid-day. Or so most people say.

And, comes off easily with oil washing.

Looking at the soap ingredients listed by the poster above, looks like she just makes a basic oil soap. You need lye, the ingredients, you gently mix until the lines trace, and then you have to let it cure. But no doubt it's lux!

DinoHunter is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post

What do people use here as body lotions? [/url]
    I use emu oil. best moisturizer ive ever found & works for my hair to
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    For me it seems that conditioner only is the happy medium. I can see how ACV/BS might send off the same panic signals in your scalp to overproduce oils in self defense.

On one of the no poo threads I read about someone using eggs to wash their hair. That would seem gentler. My conditioner is all natural and two of the main ingredients are coconut milk and eggs. I might try this combo straight out of the fridge someday.
    be sure to whip it up. it's much nicer that way. Mine went like mayo, really.

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    No shampoo works great for me which I'm glad off. Obviously I wash my hair with water everyday. Shampoo leaves it dry.

Isfahel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensprout View Post
    I'd love to know how you make that, and how you use it.
    It's pretty simple, the only hard thing is amassing all the ingredients, I used basically this recipe, with a few changes. Shampoo Bar Soap Recipe It sud's really well so all you have to do is wet your hair, run the bar of soap over it and then work the suds in just like shampoo. I superfatted it by 5%, meaning I shorted the lye so there was about 5% extra fat left unsaponified (turned into soap), so it's ridiculously moisturizing, and doesn't need conditioner, it also works amazingly well for shaving. I gave soap baskets to all my family members this year for Christmas presents, my sister, who's more of a "use the best hang the expense" type of person, she loved the shampoo bar and is the one that tried it first for shaving. I'm ashamed to admit I'd not shaved since winter started... But I did just to try out the soap after she told me that and it does work well, even with Wookie legs

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    be sure to whip it up. it's much nicer that way. Mine went like mayo, really.
    But then I might be tempted to eat it instead of wash my hair. Well, maybe make some tuna salad with the leftovers.

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast