Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: So I'm going to do this "not washing hair" thing. What's in store?! page 4

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by counterpuncher View Post
    I'll bet that if cavemen had soap and shampoo, they would have used them.
    Peeeee-eeeeeeww.
    Well, I assure you. I'm never stinky. Not even after one of my long runs. I own a shower cap, which comes really handy every day.
    Also, BO doesnt't really originate in one's scalp.

Okay, okay . I see that I'm getting defensive. Even if i did stunk, why would someone, somewhere care?

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    And that, ladies & gentlemen, is why my mother will NEVER know that I shower only twice a month. :P Some people can't listen to facts when they go contrary to long-ingrained assumptions; they just can't.

But this is the internet, and none of you have ever met me and likely never will, so we're good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    I will try showering without soap ( I use the dove which is half moisturiser/half soap), but just havn't gone there as yet.
    If you have done some heavy work in the garden, or done a hard workout - do you still go without showering ?
    I would love to hear your thoughts
    G
    Sure! If I'm showing or smelling, I wash. With water, and then if necessary, soap. However, I'll say that I've gone on runs, hiked mountains, & skied hard, and not been able to get home to wash for hours afterward, and when I finally did, there was no stank anywhere. (Yes, I'm from Georgia, I meant to say stank as a noun, lol.) The oils on the hair & skin clean itself nicely.

I should mention one downside to the fact that no soap has touched my face in at least 5 years ... makeup only stays on for a few hours on the rare occasion I wear it. Eyeshadow, especially, is gone within an hour most often. It just gets self-cleaned off, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    I also do not stink, and I've even had people complement me on the "scent" that I'm wearing -- asking me if it's this or that essential oil. It's usually just coconut oil, which I often use to moisturize my body if it is dry (the tops of my feet get dry. If i feel a little sticky, I'll use a wash cloth and water).

My hair is currently arm-pit length, though it needs a trim, and it's curly.

This whole thing is so wonderfully low-maintenance. I just love it. The more low maintenance my life is, the better.
    Absolutely. I absolutely love not depending on "things" for my life. I love being able to go out there and live in the wild (well, as close to it as places like the Appalachian Trail in GA are, which is not terribly wild) with very little on my back. And take five children, even when one's a baby or toddler, with me. It's just very freeing.

Every time I get a whiff of my 11-year-old son's hair (no shampoo in about ten years, except when GRandma gets a hold of him!), I love it. It smells SO good, and there's nothing in it at all! Remember how good breastfed babies smell? Mmmmmmm. Why do we think we have to have fragrances added once they get older for them not to stink?

Well, it's because we stink, b/c we wash all the oils away and fill our bodies with stuff they don't tolerate well, and cover our skin (which absorbs some 98% of what you put on it) with chemicals. !

I had a good chuckle over trying to figure out how your head hair was arm-pit hair length, and what that meant, and especially the curly bit. Then I figured it out.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    Whatever........
    Smell you later.......

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    And that, ladies & gentlemen, is why my mother will NEVER know that I shower only twice a month. :P Some people can't listen to facts when they go contrary to long-ingrained assumptions; they just can't.
    it's like that about a lot of things. . .

I should mention one downside to the fact that no soap has touched my face in at least 5 years ... makeup only stays on for a few hours on the rare occasion I wear it. Eyeshadow, especially, is gone within an hour most often. It just gets self-cleaned off, lol.
    I've been making my own. i use beet root powder in some coconut oil and bees wax for a tinted lip balm and cocoa in bees wax, coconut oil, and aloe for mascara. And sometimes I use the cocoa as a powder eye liner, and I add a little bit of blue berry or black berry juice to my eye as eye shadow. It works really great. Keeps for several hours, though I sometimes have to put it on twice (like, 11 and 4).

Absolutely. I absolutely love not depending on "things" for my life. I love being able to go out there and live in the wild (well, as close to it as places like the Appalachian Trail in GA are, which is not terribly wild) with very little on my back. And take five children, even when one's a baby or toddler, with me. It's just very freeing.
    I never go quite that out, but you know, i'm not too fussed. I can usually take DH, DS, and I on the road in one carry-on suitcase, which should last us a good 8-9 days before we need to wash the clothes (with all the twice-wearing after airing). Toiletries are pretty simple, too: coconut oil, baking soda, toothbrushes, brushes. I know people think I'm bats, but honestly, it works.

Every time I get a whiff of my 11-year-old son's hair (no shampoo in about ten years, except when GRandma gets a hold of him!), I love it. It smells SO good, and there's nothing in it at all! Remember how good breastfed babies smell? Mmmmmmm. Why do we think we have to have fragrances added once they get older for them not to stink?
    DS smells great. I've only ever bathed him with water. He smells *so* good. And that boy SWEATS all night long. He's like a furnace. Anyway, he's a lovely little thing. He also really only bathes when he's either A. sandy/muddy or B. feels like being in the shower to play. That's about 1-2x week really. If he has food on his face, I'll wipe it off with water if it's really sticky.

For my husband, he completely didn't believe me, but he was smelling RANK even though he ws using soap and deodorant. He had to wash his pits twice a day and put on the smelly stuff. I was like "you need to stop." he didn't believe me, but he said he'd give it a try.

So, Saturday and sunday, we are home, so he decided to start then. He bathed with just water, then put coconut oil on as his deodorant. That day, he did smell toward the end of the day, but not badly. On Sunday, it was much the same. But MOnday was the real test: gym day!

He does his water washing. He does his CO deodorizing. He goes to the gym, and decides to just 'freshen up' his CO before lifting even though he doesn't smell. He does his heavy lifting. I smelled him -- and you know I'll be honest -- and he did NOT smell! It was a little bit of extra 'him' smell, but not the horrid RANK that I was living with before.

Now, he's completely sold. Does hair and body with just water. Does coconut oil conditioning on hair on occasion. Does coconut oil on body for deodorant, some moisturizing.

I had a good chuckle over trying to figure out how your head hair was arm-pit hair length, and what that meant, and especially the curly bit. Then I figured it out.
    *snort*

Yeah, between shoulder and bra strap! LOL DH is totally keen on seeing if I can get to bra strap or waist! He's always liked my hair long, and I've worn it about this length (and a little shorter) for a long while now. The last time I cut it short was for my mother back in 2001 or something. Never again! Though my last hair cut went way too short and thin (thinned out into layers to make it "lighter" or something). So, I haven't had a cut in a year.

A trim is in order, whihc will take it above armpit length, but I'm cool with that. Now that I can have a method of trying to grow it longer just by taking care of it.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by counterpuncher View Post
    Whatever........
    Smell you later.......
    Grow up.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Ladies, awesome thread! I haven't read that long hair thread because I have really short hair, but if you all are still listening, how do you combat heavy flakes??

I have been on really minimal showering and products (seriously natural stuff) for years now, so you don't have to convert me, but I still do the dandruff shampoo thing. It pretty much is my only chemically vice (except for perfumes, just because i love it but i make a bottle last an incredibly long time, so no over-do there). Any advice?

DinoHunter is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Ladies, awesome thread! I haven't read that long hair thread because I have really short hair, but if you all are still listening, how do you combat heavy flakes??
    Vinegar rinse for flakes
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Day 7 of Project Filthy and - my hair looks better today than yesterday! It's got great body, and feels really soft. It still looks a bit sticky at the back and at the very front, but it doesn't look greasy - just looks like I've got a tiny bit of serum in it.

If this is the end of a decade of static I'll eat my hat.

I totally agree about deodorants btw - I've never been a big user and boyfriends in the past always used to say that my skin had a really nice scent. I remember one time I was trekking in a jungle in Thailand with my boyf at the time and we went for a swim in a lake. When we came out he actually asked me if I had put on perfume! This was after trekking for 6 hours, and swimming in brown water (which later gave me a fever...)

When I was living in India I had to wash a lot because I smelled of turmeric. True story! You are what you eat.

Since going Primal I don't need deodorant at all.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    I love those posts, YogaBare & zoebird! Love love love!

Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post

I have been on really minimal showering and products (seriously natural stuff) for years now, so you don't have to convert me, but I still do the dandruff shampoo thing. It pretty much is my only chemically vice (except for perfumes, just because i love it but i make a bottle last an incredibly long time, so no over-do there). Any advice?
    I've never had dandruff, so don't know too much, but ALL FIVE of my children had cradle cap that came as babies and stayed forever! Like, at one point, I had 12, 9, 6, 3, & 1 year old with thick crusts on their scalps that would bleed if we tried to pry it off oh-so-gently. !

I tried all the gentle techniques (soaking scalp with almond or olive oil, let sit half hour, then gently gently "scrub" it off with a soft brush), all the harsh techniques (Nutragena, etc.), and the chemically ones didn't work at all, while the gentle ones would at most get rid of all that was there, but a month later, it would all be back. !

We did the GAPS diet two years ago (gut-healing version of paleo/primal), and it *all* went away. On all five. It never came back for the oldest. It came back in tiny amounts when we switched back from GAPS to primal with ever-so-rare grains (like, special occasions only) for the next two oldest. It came back more, but never as much as it had been, for the two youngest after that.

Soooooo long story short, I think dandruff & "cradle cap" are probably the same thing and they're caused by internal issues, and not solved by external cleaners anymore than lotion solves eczema, or mouthwash solves halitosis.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    My Dad, as do many elderly people, had very dry and fragile skin, what he referred to as his "chicken skin". After going Primal at my urging and hearing me talk about this he stopped showering any more than necessary and not using soap as much. He found that his skin "de-aged" by a couple of decades and became much less breakable. I thought this was great.

My sister (who travels with and entire suitcase just for her "products") was absolutely horrified that he was not showering daily and practically accused me of elder abuse for not "making" him bathe more often. (At this point he was perfectly capable of making his own decisions so I couldn't have "made" him if I tried.) Then when I told her that I don't bathe daily either she really flipped her lid.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast