Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: So I'm going to do this "not washing hair" thing. What's in store?! page 3

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    For me, "preening" means a short scalp massage, and then using my fingers and/or BBB (boar's bristle brush) slowly from scalp to ends throughout my hair. I have to use the BBB once on the inside of my hair and then once on the outside b/c it's so thick!

Every now and then, I want to throw in the towel b/c I've gotten out of the daily de-tangle & preen thing (b/c daggumit, I've gotten so used to doing almost nothing to care for my body that I actually get the idea I can do NOTHING!) and grease builds up, but even if I did quit, I'd go to BS/ACV, never again shampoo. BS/ACV gives me nearly the same results as shampoo in sheen without totally losing the body, and of course, without chemicals and much cheaper.

SophieScreams, DH does no-poo with short hair. It was even easier for him than for me. He used to wash his hair with water daily, simply bc he couldn't imagine not taking a daily shower, but he doesn't even do that most days anymore.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

pattyloo is offline Junior Member
    i tried not washing my hair for a week once. i forget my reason, but it had something to do with the bad chemicals in shampoo. actually, i did it for several weeks, gradually lengthening the time between washings. i felt stinky even though i showered the rest of my body daily. currently, in winter, i wash with store-bought shampoo every other day, and usually every day in the warm months.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I "wash" my hair daily with a mild organic conditioner, and then condition with another conditioner. I have very fine, curly hair and hate the smell of unwashed scalp so this compromise works quite well for me.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    That reminds me of another thing. I made sure to threaten dh with certain demise if I ever smelled bad and he didn't tell me. The first week, I knew to expect a lot of a certain "earthiness", and told him that. I asked if I smelled "earthy" (the scent of the oils that are overproducing and haven't yet backed off their overproduction) or "just plain bad" and he told me after a few days, it was earthy near my head, but only if he got really close, and after a few more days, that was totally gone and has never come back..

Another thing I forgot - like my armpit funk, my hair gets grosser when my something in my body is off. It reflects food I don't do well with, getting sick, die-off, or something like that. My hair, skin, & pits really "talks" to me well now! (Thankfully, most of the time their "talk" is "happy, smooth, smell great!")
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I wash my hair about once a week. Even pre-Primal I wasn't a fan of daily shampooing (which btw seemed fairly strange to me many years ago, when I moved here to the US). Anyway, it doesn't have much to do with the original topic of the thread, but since I've dropped all grains and pretty much all processed sugars I have noticed my hair no longer gets greasy and I could go even longer between washes.

SophieScreams is offline Senior Member
    MG, I have the unfortunate combination of fine/full/wavy hair. I have previously cut back on shampooing, only to have greasy and frizzy hair at the same time. And my hair is a comical mess every morning, has to be wetted and re-tamed.
    And I live in OK, which gets really humid and suffers 100+ degree temps for weeks at a time. Can't go to work or out into the singledom-nightmare dreamscape like that.

I will give the BS/ACV method a try though. Should I start with every other shampoo while extending days between to start? Should I keep the lavender oil massages up?
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    Another thing I forgot - like my armpit funk, my hair gets grosser when my something in my body is off. It reflects food I don't do well with, getting sick, die-off, or something like that. My hair, skin, & pits really "talks" to me well now! (Thankfully, most of the time their "talk" is "happy, smooth, smell great!")
    mamagrok - you have some great stuff going on ! I agree with you about the underarm/antipersperant. I haven't used any for many years, and I don't smell etc... althou do notice a smell if I am unwell or brewing something. However I cannot get away from using soap in the shower, and I still wash and condition my hair at least twice per week.
    I will try showering without soap ( I use the dove which is half moisturiser/half soap), but just havn't gone there as yet.
    If you have done some heavy work in the garden, or done a hard workout - do you still go without showering ?
    I would love to hear your thoughts
    G
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I'm glad mamagrok put it all out there. I've been afraid to share that I only shower once a week, whichis for the purpose of washing my hair. We don't have a bath tub, so I don't bathe.

I also do not stink, and I've even had people complement me on the "scent" that I'm wearing -- asking me if it's this or that essential oil. It's usually just coconut oil, which I often use to moisturize my body if it is dry (the tops of my feet get dry. If i feel a little sticky, I'll use a wash cloth and water).

My hair is currently arm-pit length, though it needs a trim, and it's curly.

This whole thing is so wonderfully low-maintenance. I just love it. The more low maintenance my life is, the better.

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    I'll bet that if cavemen had soap and shampoo, they would have used them.
    Peeeee-eeeeeeww.
    Last edited by counterpuncher; 01-06-2013 at 12:13 PM.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by counterpuncher View Post
    I'll bet that if cavemen had soap and shampoo, they would have used them.
    Peeeee-eeeeeeww.
    First, i'm not mimicking cave-man times.

Second, no one is saying that someone doesn't bathe and/or use methods to get clean. Everyone here has asserted using water, oil, herbal and natural rinses or pastes to wash their hair; using natural soaps or water or oil to cleanse the body. These have been used by people for generations -- long before harsh soaps were developed.

Third, we have all stated that we are clean -- those of us who do this. Instead of having major skin conditions, or yucky hair, or smelling bad -- we smell clean, natural, and have beautiful hair and skin.

So. You can go on asserting that it's "peeee-eeeeww" if you want, but it certainly denies the several n-1s here.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast