Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: So I'm going to do this "not washing hair" thing. What's in store?! page 18

kmarie is offline Senior Member
    I barley use the 'poo' here either.
    I do baking soda wash and ACV rinse once every week or two and plain water if I get dirt in my hair (I hang out outside w a preschooler and also work in the yard so do get dirty).
    I actually first replaced shampoo w kefir, makes a great face wash too
    I totally have not used that for a while, think I will go back to that.
    Once in a while I put CO w a drop of tea tree and leave in overnight.
    Once your hair gets used to it, it looks and feels so much better!
    K

salina110 is offline Junior Member
    i won't use commercial poos / conditioners so this is what I do:

* use Black African Soap - natural, no chemicals, gets rid of grease well (i order in bulk fr amazon and it lasts a good while) either directly on scalp (lather in hands then apply) OR put a sm chunck of the soap in a water bottle and fill w/ warm water to dilute then pour on your head and lather

* rinse w/ water

* then in place of conditioner use ACV (1T/1C ratio) -i put 3T in a water bottle then fill w/ 3 cups water and just have that in my shower. OR use plain KOMBUCHA in place of the ACV

i do this about 2x / wk. leaves hair really soft / shiny

I also make my own hair spray w/ water / vodka and sugar (wellnessmama.com) has a good recipe for it

christycoco is offline Junior Member
    I'll have to check out that site for homemade hairspray. Thank you for posting it! Loving all of the ideas this thread offers. I'm convinced that if I can get past this initial phase, which I will do, I'll happily rid my home of yet one more unnecessary item! Thanks everyone!

Mamame is offline Senior Member
    This has been a very informative thread! I'm on week 2 of cutting shampoo cold turkey and my hair has been such a greasy mess and has been in ponytails quite frequently. I did the preening that MamaGrok suggested and my hair looks so much better! I'm hoping things continue to improve.

What is something quick and easy that can be done for really dry hair? I rarely shampoo my kids hair (maybe 1x/month) and my DD (8) has hair that gets extremely dry and fly away - it is good for about a week after washing and then becomes a disaster - tangled and dry. Vinegar rinses and washing with eggs seems very tedious to try and do on an 8 year old. Would just switching to a boar bristle brush from her current plastic one help?

Kris T is offline Senior Member
    I am very interested in going no poo.

Tried it a few months ago and it didn't last more than 5 days. Plan to implement what others have tried and see what works. I have thin curly long hair. I love my curls and like it big and fluffy. Right now I wash/condition and blow dry it every day.

I am thinking I could start by stretching out the days I don't shampoo. Will need to try a few things I am sure to see how it goes.

I would love to be chemical free. Don't think I would give up makeup when going to work though. Maybe I will get brave sometime, but not yet. I have NO color in my face.

I also would love to stop using soaps. Think I will go down to the health food store and find something 'natural' to use as soap.

I have already stopped using deodorant. Sometimes I can smell my pits when I put my arms up. It's not a bad smell, but it is a smell and I get paranoid so I use a wet washrag to get rid of it. I eat 100% primal so I am thinking it is just my normal smell. Just not used to it I think. Asked hubby and he said I don't smell.
    44 F 5'5
    SW 205.4
    CW 180.4
    GW 150

christycoco is offline Junior Member
    I too would like to get away from deodorant altogether. Right now I am using coconut oil, beeswax and cornstarch mixed together so I don't feel too badly about it, but still. My diet is mostly vegetables and lean meats (pretty much primal in that I don't eat much in the way of processed foods but admit to caving to cravings more than I should) and I do think that impacts a lot of what our body does and how it reacts.

I am on day 12 and my hair is getting even better with the heaviness I had been experiencing at the scalp. I did tackle my issues of dry ends with some coconut oil on my wet post showered hair yesterday morning, however I applied WAY too much and had that lovely wet looking yet not actually wet look going on all day. Yuck. Today though it's looking awesome and styled great for me, and isn't dry or oily at all. I am certainly excited over the fact that this "transition phase" hasn't been tough for me at all.

Good luck, Kris T if you decide to do the no 'poo route...or even extending out the days in between usage.

SpitFire is offline Senior Member
    I've played with no poo for years now and always end back up using my DermOrganics shampoo & conditioner. I go a few days in between washes though. I'm going to try to stick it out and get over the hump.

I did an experiment yesterday. I didn't use soap in the shower. I did scrub a little with my loofa. It was weird. And I miss my soap, especially since I make it myself and it is so fabulous. I went to work and even though I did sweat, I couldn't smell myself. I came home, and did an up close sniff test of my pits. Nothing. What! I did put on a little coconut oil and a little Primal Pit Paste (baking soda, shea, and a couple other ingredients). I'm going to do the same thing today. This is so interesting.

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I still wash my hair, but I do it less often. I used to almost every day, now it's down to about twice a week, maybe three time if I've done housework (drywall dust loves to hang out in hair, and no thanks to getting that in the bed). As my hair has gotten longer (it's down my back about a 3rd of the way), I find that the less often I wash, the better. I would guess because this gives my natural oils time to make it all the way down the hair shafts to the ends, if I wash it often the ends just feel dry and straw-like.

I use Renpure poo and con.

I also used to have a friend that did the no wash thing, she would do hot water and wipe it down with a rag in the shower. She had nice looking hair, so maybe it works. She had very long hair, if that's relevant.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718