Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: So I'm going to do this "not washing hair" thing. What's in store?! page 17

Barnyard is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    My scalp gets REAL itchy, especially on the sides, if I go 2 or more days without washing or getting wet....feels really nasty! Until I read this post, I would never even consider not 'poo-ing, but I have experimented with some non-paraben and non fragrance and non-sulfite shampoo....that being said, I am gonna try just rinsing my hair really well, right now!
    The life I have today is far better than I deserve.......

M, 56, 6'0
    SW - 192
    CW - 175
    GW - 165-170

Current addiction: ice cream (and sugar in general).....doing battle with it!

Barnyard is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pheebie View Post
    Late last winter I tried not washing my hair. I made it five days then couldn't take it anymore - no such luck for me 'breaking through the funk barrier.'

I experiment a lot with my hair (which is long, naturally curly, fine in texture, but thick in quantity/volume, and not color treated). I've tried shampoo bars with minimal success, ACV rinses which, no matter HOW many times I read or hear people say they don't leave a lingering scent, on me they absolutely do. It's unbearable.

My most successful routine which has worked for years (why did I even bother straying?) is to conditioner wash daily (V05 Kiwi Lime is my all-time favorite and staple. At any given moment, I have at least 3 bottles in my stash.) Once I co-wash, I'll apply whatever rinse-out conditioner I feel like using (sometimes it's just the V05 - it smells so clean and lovely, why not?) If I feel my hair needs a little extra moisture / taming on any given day, I'll use a heavier conditioner.

Now and then I'll clarify with a more 'natural' shampoo (Giovanni 50:50 is excellent), but this is rare, once a month maybe? I'll occassionally work coconut oil into my hair at night, put it in a bun, go to bed, and co-wash it out the next morning.
    I'm on a kick right now where I'm not using styling products - after I rinse out my conditioner, I'll squish a little of said conditioner into my sopping wet hair (while still in the shower), then 'plop' my hair into a microfiber towel, leaving the towel in place for 5-10 mintues. I remove the towel, give my roots a gentle shake with my fingers, and let my hair air dry.

It's happy & healthy this way, and so am I. I've tried spacing my washings, but no dice. I cannot, CANNOT, abide a gunky-feeling scalp. I live in a SUPER crazy humid climate, which is part of the reason. Everyone's different, and I'm envious of those who can go one or more days between washings - oh, the time you must save!

Anyone interested in learning more info, tips and whatnot on not washing their hair / the no 'poo method / co-washing should visit naturallycurly.com, even if your hair is NOT curly. There's a wealth of info there and I credit their site with helping me find the right products and routine.
    Pheebe, I just stepped into shower, and guess what was there......VO5 Kiwi Lime Conditioner!!! I used it to co-wash my hair! Will give a full report later.....
    The life I have today is far better than I deserve.......

M, 56, 6'0
    SW - 192
    CW - 175
    GW - 165-170

Current addiction: ice cream (and sugar in general).....doing battle with it!

christycoco is offline Junior Member
    Hi all!

New member here. I gave shampoo up cold turkey 10 days ago now, after being one who used shampoo and conditioner every single day (sometimes twice). I've had a pretty good go of this, with my only real bad day coming at around 4 or 5, after that my hair seemed to regulate itself. It's heavier, and won't hold a curl, however wearing it straight is working just fine. My only issue seems to be my ends. They're very dry. I've tried coconut oil in hopes that it would absorb in, but doesn't really do what I was hoping. Anyone have any advice? Perhaps the egg yolk/coconut cream rinse?

I've been brushing each morning pre shower as well as before I head off to bed and will likely have my ends trimmed in the next week or so, but I am not sure if there is something I can use to manage the dry ends. The rest of my hair feels soft and although it is heavier at the top, nobody else seems to think it looks greasy at all. I've opened up about no shampoo to a select few and they all look at me in shock after giving my head the ole once over.

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you're past the worst part of it with no major asspain - nice work! Are you water washing or co-washing it at all?
    My ends are always dry as well...the trim is a good start. I also make sure I condition my ends every time my hair gets wet whether I'm co-washing or not. I don't find coco or any other oils really do much to moisturize my ends. I keep a spray bottle with water, some of my co-wash condish and a few drops of jojoba oil handy to give my hair a refresh spritz now and again if it's looking a little blah.

Yes, I am water washing daily at this point. I truly don't know if I will ever get to a point where I am not at least washing it with water! Although, I never would have guessed this would be something I could do, either. I haven't used anything - shampoo or conditioner - in the 10 days. Can I ask what you're using in your co wash conditioner?

Lyte is offline Senior Member
    I've never gone with not washing my hair with anything, but I have been doing the baking soda / raw ACV method for several weeks now and it's been mostly great. My hair is smooth and shiny, noticably better than it looked even with high end shampoo and conditioner, and I only have to wash it like every 4 days. I say "mostly" because the baking soda is pretty harsh on my hair; right after I rinse it out before the ACV, a lot of hair falls out.

I'm gonna try washing with honey next

Originally, I was going to go the BS/ACV route but then noticed that washing with water seemed just fine for me. So I just continued on that trend. It's pretty pathetic how crazy I get sometimes with this sort of thing...almost like a competition within my head about how long I can last.

Anyway. I figured really I could ask around and see what others experiencing the same issue (dryness) had to offer in terms of advice. So far all I've done has been coconut oil in VERY small amounts, to the ends of my hair. I saw something earlier today where someone was putting it in their hair post shower (wet hair), just the bottom half, and then blow drying it. I am still using a blow dryer, too, so I assume that's where my issues are coming from.

Has your hair been falling out the entire time you've been using the baking soda???? I'm interested to hear how the honey wash works for you!

DavidBrennan is offline Banned
    My personal anecdote:

I read this article about no shampoo at a manosphere blog last Spring. I was convinced, and immediately tried it.

Perfect results. Save a ton of time and stress about hair products, hair has more body, and I can get in and out of shower quicker.

My entire hair-washing routine goes as follows: Soak hair in shower stream. Scrub with hands for a lil' bit. End.

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by christycoco View Post
    Yes, I am water washing daily at this point. I truly don't know if I will ever get to a point where I am not at least washing it with water! Although, I never would have guessed this would be something I could do, either. I haven't used anything - shampoo or conditioner - in the 10 days. Can I ask what you're using in your co wash conditioner?
    I tried the BS/ACV method but have hard water and it didn't work out.
    When I co-wash (once a week), I'm using Suave Naturals tropical coconut for now, but it's nearly gone and I can't find it anymore. I'll find something else once I'm out.
    Like I said, I condition my hair every time it gets wet (which is 3x/wk max right now) using either Biolage Conditioning Balm or Mineral Fusion Curl Care conditioner to combat dryness. Putting some leave-in condish mixed with a bit of clear gel when it's wet helps keep my curls hydrated and fuzz-free.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBrennan View Post
    My personal anecdote:

I read this article about no shampoo at a manosphere blog last Spring. I was convinced, and immediately tried it.

Perfect results. Save a ton of time and stress about hair products, hair has more body, and I can get in and out of shower quicker.

My entire hair-washing routine goes as follows: Soak hair in shower stream. Scrub with hands for a lil' bit. End.
    Another benefit of no 'pooing is you avoid the estrogenic compounds often found in shampoos and hair-care products, even the so-called "natural" ones.

And every man could use less of those.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast