Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: So I'm going to do this "not washing hair" thing. What's in store?! page 16

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I, uhm, didn't even notice that I am not using shampoo. Castor oil wrap, egg wash and water once a week, looks fine to me.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    Now that some more time has passed, I'm still only rinsing with hot water maybe 1-2x/week. Using the boar bristle brush and running my hands through my hair twice a day makes a big difference, but I'm starting to have the issue that my hair is too dry...I think it's very porous. It definitely starts looking a little funky about 5+ days after a rinse, but never oily.
    So you only get your hair wet 1-2x/week? My scalp has a lot of build-up and I also have not been able to find a balance with baking soda & ACV. I feel like I need something to cut through the "grime" on my scalp and start over, but it always builds up again. I wonder if starting with a wash and then not wetting my hair as frequently would help.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    Well, I just finished with a conditioner (burts bees) wash. Feels amazing. I can definitely tell it cut through the gunk build up. And, my hair smells girly again
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    So you only get your hair wet 1-2x/week? My scalp has a lot of build-up and I also have not been able to find a balance with baking soda & ACV. I feel like I need something to cut through the "grime" on my scalp and start over, but it always builds up again. I wonder if starting with a wash and then not wetting my hair as frequently would help.
    Yeah, lately I've been going at least 5 days without getting it wet, and I think I did make it a full 7 days once. Now that I've weaned myself off shampoo and I'm not using baking soda, my hair responds really differently to getting wet than it used to; before, when I was shampooing every other day, I could only get by with a water-only wash once in between shampoos. If I did water-only more than twice in a row, all of my hair would be a greasy mess, the water seemed to make the greasiness worse.

Now, I wait 5+ days, wet it, it kind of feels greasy while I'm in the shower, but then it dries with no oil whatsoever and takes at least 2 days to feel normal again and not overly dry. Every 'No Shampoo' blog or post seems to recommend baking soda, but I think that it probably backfires for people with certain kinds of hair and sebum production. It would be interesting to see if not using the baking soda makes any difference for you.

I have to figure out what I should be doing for my newly overly-dry hair...never had this issue before, so I'm at a loss. It's probably a result of flat iron damage, but at least I only iron my hair about once a week now.

goddessjules is offline Junior Member
    I went shampoo free after reading this post, especially since its the only thing I haven't tried to tame my hair! I have fine, wavy color treated hair that's I few inches under my chin, with bangs. Before ditching the shampoo I was shampooing every 3-4 days and using conditioner afterwards. Its been about 6 weeks now and things are pretty good. The first 2 weeks, I washed with 2 egg yolks. i read somewhere that BS/ACV can lighten the hair color, so I haven't done those at all. I rinse and massage my scalp in the mornings with warm water, but before I get out of the shower I rinse with cold water. In the evenings before bed I brush with a boars bristle brush, and I kinda wiggle the brush along the scalp areas to distribute the oil and break up the build up.

So.... I'm sold! I don't have frizzy hair anymore, my color (just to cover grays) stays in much longer between dyes, and my hair dries super quick! I usually spritz the top of my head with some perfume before I go about my day and I smell goooood!

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    Bestbetter-

Try an egg wash, or a coconut oil wash. Leave the CO in for an hour, then rinse out. See if it helps. I haven't tried them myself, but hear they help.

I bought a BBB last night. Um, worthless. The bristles are firm, but set way too close together. This brush can't even attempt to penetrate the lion's mane atop my head.

I have top-of-the-boob- length, ridiculously thick, stupidly curly-until-I-brush-it-out-then-its-a-wavy-mess type hair. When I let it be natural, it's very curly except for the very tiny top layer. That gets frizzy and irritating. I haven't had a hair cut in over year, so my ends are... angry. I've only been doing this for a week, and I gotta say, I wasn't happy until I did the conditioner only wash yesterday. Bottom half still feels like straw, but I don't have a ridiculous build up anymore. I'll probably try doing that once or twice per week.

I love the bit about spraying your head with perfume!
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

GuitarGrok is offline Senior Member
    I have found for my hair what works best is I just rinse with water once a week after hockey. Any more than that and I need to add some coconut oil to make my hair style the way I like it. My hair is only about 2" long so it might not work on longer hair. I tried the baking soda, ACV rinses, but my hair needed a good amount of CO after or else it would just poof right up.

Also I should mention that before cutting out shampoo, and conditioner I used gunk in my hair every day because I like it slicked back a bit, now I get the same style without using anything plus my hair is a lot softer.

Pheebie is offline Senior Member
    Late last winter I tried not washing my hair. I made it five days then couldn't take it anymore - no such luck for me 'breaking through the funk barrier.'

I experiment a lot with my hair (which is long, naturally curly, fine in texture, but thick in quantity/volume, and not color treated). I've tried shampoo bars with minimal success, ACV rinses which, no matter HOW many times I read or hear people say they don't leave a lingering scent, on me they absolutely do. It's unbearable.

My most successful routine which has worked for years (why did I even bother straying?) is to conditioner wash daily (V05 Kiwi Lime is my all-time favorite and staple. At any given moment, I have at least 3 bottles in my stash.) Once I co-wash, I'll apply whatever rinse-out conditioner I feel like using (sometimes it's just the V05 - it smells so clean and lovely, why not?) If I feel my hair needs a little extra moisture / taming on any given day, I'll use a heavier conditioner.

Now and then I'll clarify with a more 'natural' shampoo (Giovanni 50:50 is excellent), but this is rare, once a month maybe? I'll occassionally work coconut oil into my hair at night, put it in a bun, go to bed, and co-wash it out the next morning.
    I'm on a kick right now where I'm not using styling products - after I rinse out my conditioner, I'll squish a little of said conditioner into my sopping wet hair (while still in the shower), then 'plop' my hair into a microfiber towel, leaving the towel in place for 5-10 mintues. I remove the towel, give my roots a gentle shake with my fingers, and let my hair air dry.

It's happy & healthy this way, and so am I. I've tried spacing my washings, but no dice. I cannot, CANNOT, abide a gunky-feeling scalp. I live in a SUPER crazy humid climate, which is part of the reason. Everyone's different, and I'm envious of those who can go one or more days between washings - oh, the time you must save!

Anyone interested in learning more info, tips and whatnot on not washing their hair / the no 'poo method / co-washing should visit naturallycurly.com, even if your hair is NOT curly. There's a wealth of info there and I credit their site with helping me find the right products and routine.
    Last edited by Pheebie; 04-17-2013 at 08:23 AM.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I installed a filtered shower head two nights ago. The water in my apartment (suburbs close to Boston, so basically city water) is pretty hard & I could see the scum it was leaving behind on the shower liners. I'm hoping that with the filter, I can actually do no-poo! Last night, I shampooed with a sulfite/paraben-free shampoo (Yes to Cucumbers) and then used this oil-based spray to condition. My hair feels nice and soft & scalp feels clean & not itchy... so far. I'm going to see how long I can get away without doing any other kind of cleaning, but will probably continue to use the oil spray after every shower.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Artemis67 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have fine, stick-straight hair that I color with henna. It's about bra-strap-length right now. I also have an oily scalp, though between age and dietary changes it's much less oily than it used to be. And where I live, we have good tap water.

I wash my hair with baking soda every other day, and it works great. It gets too greasy if I go longer between washes, but considering I spent years unable to make it through one day without being a greaseball at the end of it, I'll take it. I've been doing this for at least five years, and on the one occasion I used shampoo at a hotel my hair was so nasty it took three days to get the residue out. So never again!

Using the vinegar rinse makes my hair lank and limp, and increases the oiliness, however.

One experiment I do want to try the next time I'm in SoCal is using a vinegar rinse to see if it will counter the effects of hard water. My hair ends up looking and feeling awful every time I visit--simultaneously rough and greasy--and by the end of the third day I'm ready to fly home just so I can have nice hair again!

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast