Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: So I'm going to do this "not washing hair" thing. What's in store?! page 12

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Never ever washed my childrens hair. They only have had the odd goats milk soap wash if really filthy.
    When they were tiny babies only ever used water.
    My youngest who was born at home, never got his vernix wiped off, I let it soak in under his clothes.
    They do not need soap at all.

ErinF is offline Senior Member
    I don't use soap on my 2 and 3 year old and have only used it rarely and they always look and smell clean. My sons hair never gets a greasy or dirty look and my daughters hair only gets that way if I use soap. I never felt there was a need for soaps/lotions for kids, IMO it was just silly to use them on someone that has the natural oils thing already working for them.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    No soap on my kids (age 3 through 14) unless they're showing or smelling, just like me. And even then, water first, and if that does the trick, stop.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

campanella is offline Senior Member
    I have hair a few inches past my shoulders, it is REALLY thick, I have to brush it for several minutes twice a day to avoid hopeless tangles... currently I shower every 3-4 days, I shampoo with Dr. Bronner coconut oil soap (all saponified oils) and condition with a natural (bottled) conditioner that's mostly aloe vera.
    So far I absolutely can not go without conditioner, my hair is a hopeless birds' nest of tangles and knots.

I love the premise of not needing shampoo/conditioner, however... you know how fancy spaniel dogs need so much bathing and hair care but a mutt typically is fine never bathing? I'm pretty far removed from Grok with my thick blond hair and I'm not sure this kind of thing is possible for me.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    I LOVE Dr. Bronner's with a passion, but I've heard it's not great on hair, that it makes it dry. I would imagine that may be contributing to the tangles.

My hair is MUCH less tangly when I go water-only, or with ACV/BS just once a month or so.

I have extremely thick (thicker than the thickest category on the ratings systems I've seen that judge by the perimeter of your ponytail), very blond hair.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Greenbeast is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    I LOVE Dr. Bronner's with a passion, but I've heard it's not great on hair, that it makes it dry. I would imagine that may be contributing to the tangles.

My hair is MUCH less tangly when I go water-only, or with ACV/BS just once a month or so.

I have extremely thick (thicker than the thickest category on the ratings systems I've seen that judge by the perimeter of your ponytail), very blond hair.
    I think the reason hair is dry with soap is the same reason as clothing, soap residue is left behind hence the need for conditioner (clothes and hair)
    Vinegar rinses out the soap residue, i don't use anything on my hair so have no need of conditioner anyway but i use white vinegar as fabric conditioner and you can use that or ACV in your hair to rinse the residue away.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I cannot believe I've been 18 days without shampoo now! And seriously, you would never know. Two nights ago I made a Castor oil hair mask (castor oil plus 1 egg yolk) and slept with it. I washed it out yesterday morning with two eggs yolks and my hair looks amazing! I can't believe how well egg yolk gets rid of grease. Don't see the need to ever use shampoo again!
    How exactly did you use the eggs to get out the castor oil? Did you whip 2 eggs together and rub them into your scalp before getting into the shower so you get let it sit, or did you rub in the eggs and rinse and repeat while in the shower?

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    How exactly did you use the eggs to get out the castor oil? Did you whip 2 eggs together and rub them into your scalp before getting into the shower so you get let it sit, or did you rub in the eggs and rinse and repeat while in the shower?
    I take a couple of egg yolks and whip them up in the blender with some coconut cream. That's my shampoo/conditioner in one. It gets out excess grease without stripping the hair dry. I find baking soda is too harsh on my scalp and Dr. Bonner's is drying too.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    I got a boar bristle hair brush and it's made a big difference. So if you're giving this a try, definitely consider a proper brush as it helps distribute the excess oil.

campanella is offline Senior Member
    I don't have any ACV, just white vinegar from a bottle, does that work too? I might try rinsing with vinegar to get rid of the soap, then doing the eggs-and-coconut-cream thing. I do have a boar bristle brush, that might come in useful.

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast