Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Primal and the Big D: A Safe Place page

  1. #1
    valmason01's Avatar
    valmason01 is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Gainesville, Fl
    Posts
    835

    Primal and the Big D: A Safe Place

    Shop Now
    I know I am not the only Grok(ette) out there who is type II. I find this creates some special challenges. Come join me in creating a safe place to work out those challenges. Just a brief overview of my story:

    family history, me obese since appx 5 years of age, now 46.
    I was diagnosed in my thirties and just took meds w/out making a lot of changes. Started taking it more seriously last year and really made an effort to make changes, starting w/ cutting out all processed foods, then finding Wheat Belly which led me to Primal. Dove head first off the wagon somewhere around November and now the damn thing is going too fast for me to get all the way back in. Kinda dangling off the back with my legs kicking.


    Whats your story? Any challenges, successes, brilliant insights to share? Let's kick Big D in the ass for 2013.
    You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

    Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

    Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

  2. #2
    Drumroll's Avatar
    Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,505
    Hi Val,

    Not a diabetic here, but you might enjoy this post from Mark if you haven't read it already: The Definitive Guide to Insulin, Blood Sugar & Type 2 Diabetes (and you’ll understand it) | Mark's Daily Apple

    The comments section may actually be of the most interest to you.

  3. #3
    valmason01's Avatar
    valmason01 is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Gainesville, Fl
    Posts
    835
    Thanks Drumroll...that is very helpful!
    You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

    Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

    Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

  4. #4
    Drumroll's Avatar
    Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,505
    Quote Originally Posted by valmason01 View Post
    Thanks Drumroll...that is very helpful!
    Well, I figured that the comments and experiences of other MDA readers and primal eaters would be extremely relevant to the thread's (and your) stated topic.

  5. #5
    Pamsc's Avatar
    Pamsc is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    356
    I was diagnosed 8 years ago and almost immediately went low carb. I knew it would make me crazy to try to lose weight, so I made keeping my BG under 140 after meals my goal instead. Worked wonderfully--my A1c has generally been around 5.8. Eventually I tried Metformin, but it made me constipated (weird, I know) and didn't improve my A1c, even at a dose of 1000 mg twice a day. I don't think my carb level went down much when I went primal--I gave up the small amounts of sugar and grain I was eating but increased fruit. But while low carb initially worked beautifully for me, after menopause my weight started creeping up. Primal reversed that, and with the addition of iodine and related nutrients gave me back my energy.

    Do you take any medication beyond Metformin? If so you have a more complicated issue of balancing what you eat with your medication. Do you judge how you are doing mostly by A1c or mostly by fasting glucuose? My morning fasting usually runs over 110, but if my A1c is under 6 I don't worry about it too much. Do your triglycerides tend to run high? Mine do not--I'm lucky to have naturally high HDL (usually over 80) and low triglycerides (usually under 60).
    __________________________
    age 56, type 2 diabetes, swimmer
    low carb since 2006 thanks to Jenny, primal since Jan. 2012

  6. #6
    valmason01's Avatar
    valmason01 is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Gainesville, Fl
    Posts
    835
    Good questions...I judge primarily by fasting glucose which is normally high. From what I understand that comes from the 'daw effect'. I have also been told that my numbers will be higher as I lose weight because of the consistent changes in my body. I use metformin only and my goal is to be off of it. The last couple of months have not been good at all as I said in the OP. I know I can't afford to give in like that! I do have high triglycerides though they have been coming down. That's where the wonderful genetics come in I am just now realizing the connection between thyroid and insulin. I was diagnosed with hypothyroid several years before type II. Seems like when Drs see that and look the family history there could be a more in depth conversation about the dangers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pamsc View Post
    I was diagnosed 8 years ago and almost immediately went low carb. I knew it would make me crazy to try to lose weight, so I made keeping my BG under 140 after meals my goal instead. Worked wonderfully--my A1c has generally been around 5.8. Eventually I tried Metformin, but it made me constipated (weird, I know) and didn't improve my A1c, even at a dose of 1000 mg twice a day. I don't think my carb level went down much when I went primal--I gave up the small amounts of sugar and grain I was eating but increased fruit. But while low carb initially worked beautifully for me, after menopause my weight started creeping up. Primal reversed that, and with the addition of iodine and related nutrients gave me back my energy.

    Do you take any medication beyond Metformin? If so you have a more complicated issue of balancing what you eat with your medication. Do you judge how you are doing mostly by A1c or mostly by fasting glucuose? My morning fasting usually runs over 110, but if my A1c is under 6 I don't worry about it too much. Do your triglycerides tend to run high? Mine do not--I'm lucky to have naturally high HDL (usually over 80) and low triglycerides (usually under 60).
    You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

    Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

    Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

  7. #7
    WeldingHank's Avatar
    WeldingHank is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Lawrence,Ma
    Posts
    585
    I was diagnosed type 2 in november of 2010. A1c of 9.9 and a BG of 446. Shortly after I found low-carb, then primal after that. Fast-foreward to august 2012, and I had a fasting bg of 82 and A1c of 5.1. My doctor went so far as to consider diabetes reversed in my case. I credit primal/paleo eating in a ketogenic range to my recovery, and am now slowly adding starches back to my diet in the PWO window.

  8. #8
    valmason01's Avatar
    valmason01 is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Gainesville, Fl
    Posts
    835
    Wow....that is amazing! What is the PWO window? What made you decide to add back starches?

    Thanks for sharing! That helps my willpower

    Quote Originally Posted by WeldingHank View Post
    I was diagnosed type 2 in november of 2010. A1c of 9.9 and a BG of 446. Shortly after I found low-carb, then primal after that. Fast-foreward to august 2012, and I had a fasting bg of 82 and A1c of 5.1. My doctor went so far as to consider diabetes reversed in my case. I credit primal/paleo eating in a ketogenic range to my recovery, and am now slowly adding starches back to my diet in the PWO window.
    You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

    Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

    Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

  9. #9
    WeldingHank's Avatar
    WeldingHank is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Lawrence,Ma
    Posts
    585
    Quote Originally Posted by valmason01 View Post
    Wow....that is amazing! What is the PWO window? What made you decide to add back starches?

    Thanks for sharing! That helps my willpower
    PWO = post work out. I am adding them back because the workouts I do(Krav Maga) are heavily glycogen dependent. It helps with explosiveness needed for fighting.

  10. #10
    Drumroll's Avatar
    Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,505
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by valmason01 View Post
    Wow....that is amazing! What is the PWO window? What made you decide to add back starches?

    Thanks for sharing! That helps my willpower
    PWO = Post WorkOut

    I can't speak for him, but post workout carbs can help replenish muscle glycogen and the insulin boost can help in body recovery slightly. I personally think the need for post workout carbs is greatly overstated, but to each their own.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •