Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crossfit hiatus and no squat rack page

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member

Crossfit hiatus and no squat rack

Primal Fuel
    I'm taking a month long break from crossfit (as in going to my local crossfit) but want to maintain as much strength as I can while doing so. We have a barbell and bumper plates at home. I can't do heavy back squats since I can't get the bar onto my back. Any suggestions on the best alternatives (besides buying a squat rack )? Will doing higher reps (10 or so) at lower weights be of much use? I was able to do 130 lb front squats the other day, but it required hubby to hand me the bar I'm already doing 20 pistols a day too.

Cwick is offline Junior Member
    Great opportunity to work on cleans, deadlifts, clean and press, front squat, etc. 30 days would be perfect. You can really change up your rep scheme, for example have a strength day (3-5 reps for 4-5 sets), and a hypertrophy day (10-12 reps, except on cleans, you will compromise form) for 4 weeks.

Can do the same with an upper body day...weighted pullups if available, floor presses, bb curls, shoulder press, triceps extension just to name a few.

Possibilities are endless w/ a BB!

jakey is offline Senior Member
    so i went to the gym today, and a bunch of dudes were dominating the rack. i wanted to get started, so i worked on power cleans and front squats. i prefer low bar back squats, but sometimes you have to embrace the variety. it also helps work the muscles in new, unexpected ways.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Weighted pistols?

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    I second the idea of focusing on oly lifts and deadlifts. Explosive strength and posterior chain--train these hard. To keep up your squat without the rack, do overhead squats (ass to grass) and squat jumps.

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the ideas. I've been working on hang cleans and keeping up with my pistols. OHS are a good idea, I hadn't thought of that - I can definitely clean my max for those

Found a perfect WOD for today:

3 Rounds for Time of:

7 Deadlifts (275/185)
    14 Pistols (Alternating)
    21 Unbroken Double Unders

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Hack squats

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Mess with your tempo with body weight work or weights.. Try some superslow reps (10s up and 10s down). If you can get more than 5 pull ups with that tempo color me impressed .

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    You aren't going to see much strength loss in that period of time (even if you totally abstained from lifting). Strength isn't like conditioning. Push-ups, DLs, rows...
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

MikeD is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Not a cross fitter, but I am a powerlifter so I have a little input here. There are in fact Russian studies that document a 10% decrease in strength after a 2 week total hiatus from all training. So do something. Conventional deadlifts, sumo deadlifts. Romanian deads, stiff leg deads, cleans, snatches, jerks, curls, floor presses, overhead presses, front squats, zercher squats. You can't load an overhead squat like you can a back or front squat, so I personally wouldn't put much into them. All training is functional, as in you have to move to train. It may not mimick daily movements, but it is still a movement. I know what I put up here will be looked at crazily because it isn't conventional. But isn't our primal/paleo lifestyle unconventional?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast