Thread: Primal Journal - n_of_1 page

n_of_1 is offline Junior Member

Primal Journal - n_of_1

Primal Fuel
    Well, here I am with the rest of the January Joiners, ready to get my butt into gear! I've been reading on MDA for about 8 months and gently incorporating meat into my diet after being vegetarian for 8 years. So, here I am and I'm hoping that posting here will keep me accountable.

A little additional back-story:
    I lost weight in high school (about 30lbs) by running lots and counting calories and becoming a veg. Kept it off for about 1 year, then lost some more thanks to new onset depression. At that point, I was running twice a day, up to 6 miles, eating nothing but salads and apples and popcorn...and I was too skinny. Like <130lbs on a 5'10" frame and stopped menstruating skinny. Gained back the weight, after working on my emotional state and getting into a wonderful relationship with my now husband, and have oscillated between 155-165lbs. Since getting married/starting med school my weight has been between 165-175lbs by eating "whole grain healthy". I'm not unhealthy at this weight, but I don't feel like I am my best. My exercise-induced asthma returned (haven't had that since I was 13) and I just feel very tired and moody. I'm graduating from medical school in May and I want to feel better as I enter into a stressful life-period. I know that the SAD is what causes so many of the illnesses we take care of in the American health system and I don't want to end up quickening my journey like so many of my classmates seem to be doing with their daily doses of McDonald's and binge-drinking on the weekends.

Goals:

- lose ~25lbs (I feel best around 150lbs, CW=175lbs this morning)
    - eat a primal-clean diet for 95% of the time
    - eliminate exercise-induced asthma attacks
    - manage seasonal depression with diet/exercise
    - make some primal friends for support along this journey

n_of_1 is offline Junior Member
    Day 1 Report:

I did better than I anticipated in some ways on Day 1: ate fairly well for most of the day, worked out a bit but mainly stayed in as hubby was sick, drank lots of water! I woke up with a headache which stayed with me all day yesterday...probably from the disgusting processed crap (pizza + sugar) we ate at a friend's house the night before.

Food =
    Fasted until Noon
    12PM: 2 eggs + 2 cups broccoli (all organic)
    3PM: apple + almond butter
    6PM: salad with sauteed zucchini + chicken sausage
    9PM: 2 paleo dessert concoctions....my weakness (almond butter, almond flour, honey)

Total carbs = 106

Move = 30 min elliptical

Today, I'm feeling a bit better (no headache/foggy brain this morning). I have some work to do for school today, but I'm hoping to hit the grocery at some point as well. I hope everyone else is well!