Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: quinoa page

pattyloo is offline Junior Member

quinoa

Primal Fuel
    wondering if quinoa is part of the primal plan. i know it is a grain, but it's supposed to be a good protein source. any ideas? i have some in the cabinet, and it was kind of expensive.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    quinoa is a seed
    nihil

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    It is more of a seed than a grain.
    Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Quinoa, cooked
    One serving is 220 cal and 8 grams of protein and 39 g if carbohydrate

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Egg, whole, cooked, fried
    2 eggs have fewer calories and 12 grams or protein and 1g carbohydrate,

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Beef, loin, bottom sirloin butt, tri-tip steak, separable lean and fat, trimmed to 0" fat, all grades, cooked, broiled
    3 oz serving of sirloin has similar calories and 25 g of protein.

It is only veg*n, the whole grain council and government who think that grains are a good source of protein. Eat meat!

If you can tolerate it you can probably eat it...much like white rice. Part of the Primal Plan...prob not.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Mark has suggested that quinoa can be useful for active people who want more carbohydrates in their diet. It's in his revised food pyramid under moderation foods along with starchy tubers. It's a pseudo-grain and is gluten free.

Some people find the saponins irritating, even after proper washing, so I'd see how you react to it.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    We use it, but we are both active and it's similar to how we use our starchy tubers.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    An old blog post, so I'm not sure if Mark's position is still the same: Top 10 Best & Worst Protein Sources (vegetarians take note) | Mark's Daily Apple
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

fresa is offline Member
    I say go for it. Working it in occasionally won't hurt anything if your stomach tolerates it, especially if you are concerned about its cost and wasting it. I personally think quinoa is really tasty, so I treat myself with it now and then. Definitely not an item worth stressing over

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    Quinoa certainly isn't as bad as some around here would make it out to be, but it is massively overrated in terms of both culinary uses and nutrition. There isn't anything it can do that white rice can't do better and more cheaply, and with less potential for gut irritation.
    “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Mark has suggested that quinoa can be useful for active people who want more carbohydrates in their diet. It's in his revised food pyramid under moderation foods along with starchy tubers. It's a pseudo-grain and is gluten free.

Some people find the saponins irritating, even after proper washing, so I'd see how you react to it.
    Mark also talks about the high fiber of quinoa being hard on some peoples' digestive tracts. Not everyone mind you, but if you've had any sort of IBS issues, probably best to avoid.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaohinon View Post
    There isn't anything it can do that white rice can't do better and more cheaply, and with less potential for gut irritation.
    agreed. just in terms of taste, i think if people were keeping it real, they'd admit that quinoa was no where near as good as rice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast