Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to Fight Cholesterol/Diet CW page

LerxstFan is offline Junior Member

Trying to Fight Cholesterol/Diet CW

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi all,

Making progress and doing well in the new year - I'm down 2.5 pounds so far.

Even though I'm losing weight and feeling great overall, I still wonder if I'm doing the right thing for my heart health by eating the primal/paleo foods I am focusing on now - eggs, bacon, pasture feed beef/chicken, seafood, and veggies.

For New Year's Day, I made bacon for my family and loved eating it, but then felt guilty about it? I just started eating eggs again because I love them but for the last year avoided them because I have high cholesterol. For the last year I have been on a 40mg statin to bring my total cholesterol down from 270 to 205 - the meds did their job with little to no side effects that I could tell, but I hate taking meds.

So this year I decided to stop taking my statin and will get a blood panel done to see where I'm at now and will check again in three months as I get closer to my goal weight of 175.

It just seems odd to me that I'm eating all the food that I was warned about growing up and I'm losing weight and feel good. I started limiting processed foods/carbs/sugar from my diet a few months ago and started to slowly lose weight.

After reading Mark's book I'm even more committed to following through. One thing he says that makes so much sense to me is that I should be a fat burner and not a sugar burner. How the heck can I burn fat and use that for fuel and lose any weight if I'm constantly eating carbs, sugar, and drinking Coke/Iced Tea daily (that was most of my 42 years as recently as three months ago - truly SAD).

Does anyone else feel like I do? (sorry for the Peter Frampton quote) I'd be grateful if folks would share their experiences. I still think I'm doing the right thing because I can see the physical changes, and know that all the CW has programmed me to believe is not necessarily true just because the 'experts' have been telling me this for so many years.

In related nurition news - I shop at a local Trader Joe's and found wild 'Argentinian Red Shrimp'. Never heard of it, but it's not farm raised, so I tried it. It's sweeter than most shrimp, closer in flavor to Gulf of Maine shrimp, almost lobster like and REALLY GOOD! I sauteed a few last night in a little butter and some fresh garlic - big win

I hope everyone has a happy and healthy 2013! Grok on!

Loneketo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LerxstFan View Post
    Hi all,

Making progress and doing well in the new year - I'm down 2.5 pounds so far.

Even though I'm losing weight and feeling great overall, I still wonder if I'm doing the right thing for my heart health by eating the primal/paleo foods I am focusing on now - eggs, bacon, pasture feed beef/chicken, seafood, and veggies.

For New Year's Day, I made bacon for my family and loved eating it, but then felt guilty about it? I just started eating eggs again because I love them but for the last year avoided them because I have high cholesterol. For the last year I have been on a 40mg statin to bring my total cholesterol down from 270 to 205 - the meds did their job with little to no side effects that I could tell, but I hate taking meds.

So this year I decided to stop taking my statin and will get a blood panel done to see where I'm at now and will check again in three months as I get closer to my goal weight of 175.

It just seems odd to me that I'm eating all the food that I was warned about growing up and I'm losing weight and feel good. I started limiting processed foods/carbs/sugar from my diet a few months ago and started to slowly lose weight.

After reading Mark's book I'm even more committed to following through. One thing he says that makes so much sense to me is that I should be a fat burner and not a sugar burner. How the heck can I burn fat and use that for fuel and lose any weight if I'm constantly eating carbs, sugar, and drinking Coke/Iced Tea daily (that was most of my 42 years as recently as three months ago - truly SAD).

Does anyone else feel like I do? (sorry for the Peter Frampton quote) I'd be grateful if folks would share their experiences. I still think I'm doing the right thing because I can see the physical changes, and know that all the CW has programmed me to believe is not necessarily true just because the 'experts' have been telling me this for so many years.

In related nurition news - I shop at a local Trader Joe's and found wild 'Argentinian Red Shrimp'. Never heard of it, but it's not farm raised, so I tried it. It's sweeter than most shrimp, closer in flavor to Gulf of Maine shrimp, almost lobster like and REALLY GOOD! I sauteed a few last night in a little butter and some fresh garlic - big win

I hope everyone has a happy and healthy 2013! Grok on!
    When I first found out about grains and why they were so bad, I said to myself,"I knew it!" I did not really like grains to begin with, something was always odd about them to me, flour shaped into anything you can imagine? Real food is not made from what I call dust. No wonder, the more I ate them the more I felt like dust.

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Don't believe Mark or anybody else. Do your research, read books and websites, and make up your own find. I suggest looking at the many posts that exist on the internet about the fallacy of "cholesterol in food=high serum cholesterol=heart attacks". The book The Great Cholesterol Con, Good Calories/Bad Calories are good starts as well.

Asmodeuskraemer is offline Senior Member
    I'm glad you're here to share your experience(s).
    In the very beginning of starting this for me, I felt really awkward about eating so much fat. I was ok with butter and skin on chicken, but then I started doing a little math and reading the recipes where people are sauteeing things in 1tblsp coconut oil. That seemed outrageous to me! How crazy! That's SO MUCH FAT! SO MANY CALORIES! But, I wanted to believe, so I tried it. And my body loved it. At first, it was a happy feeling and a warm tummy. Then my body temperature went up-I was sweating after meals. Then it got cold and that stopped, haha. I tried bulletproof coffee and joined a gym. I'm really glad I joined that gym 'cause the coffee made me bounce off the walls with energy.

Its been a year since I've started this. I haven't lost much weight because I keep falling off the wagon and don't exercise as much as I should. (But when I was exercising regularly, I noticed significant changes in 2 weeks and was almost ready to buy a new paid of jeans. Then: The Holidays and their bready treats) But I know its right for me because I feel better. I'm happier and have more energy. My stomach hurts my, gut cramps up for days if I eat flour. I get so bloated, its awful.

My advice: Listen to your body. Really listen. When you eat a big primal meal, how do you feel? How are your emotions? Try ignoring what you "know" whats right (IE, we all "know" its right to eat whole grains) and pay attention to what FEELS right. Your body doesn't want anything that's not good for it; it doesn't want the sugar, carbs, weird processed food that's pushed on it. It doesn't make sense for your body to want something that will damage it. That's your brain and your cravings and society telling you to indugle. Your body wants a stick of butter nested in a sweet potato with bacon and eggs on top, not taco casserole with doritos on top. Well, at least that's what my body wants.

Kata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LerxstFan View Post
    For the last year I have been on a 40mg statin to bring my total cholesterol down from 270 to 205 - the meds did their job with little to no side effects that I could tell, but I hate taking meds.

You might want to wait to get your blood panel done until after you've been at your goal weight for a little while. From what I've heard and read, if you get it checked while you're in the process of losing weight, the numbers might scare you. That's because the fat you're losing is being carried out of your body through the bloodstream, and this can be reflected in your lipid panel. It's temporary and nothing to worry about, but it's not a truly accurate number.

LerxstFan is offline Junior Member
    Thanks all for the great responses and support. I had another great meal tonight with a little butter, with sauteed mushrooms, onions and some chicken - yum. I also had a BAS for lunch - something I'm trying to do every day. I have always been a protein fan and never much for carbs, so this way of eating is making a lot of sense for me. Only pitfalls have been some of the holiday treats candy that are still in the house...I'm trying to get rid of them slowly by throwing them out when my kids aren't paying attention

If the weight keeps coming off and I feel good, then I'll continue with PB eating. I like the idea of waiting to get my lipid panel done when I have hit my goal - that may be better than scaring myself off track

dbclarinet is offline Member
    Just to throw this out there, my experience with Primal has always been slightly elevated cholesterol, but with an outstanding ratio. A little over a year ago, I had blood work done, and my cholesterol was 224 or something like that with HDL:104 and LDL:112, triglycerides in the 50s. A few months ago, I had my yearly check-up after being more strictly Primal, and my total cholesterol went down, but is still elevated. It was 204 with HDL:110 and LDL:93, triglycerides in the 40s. The medic giving me the debrief just kinda said, wow, I've never seen HDL that high.

A few years ago, my husband had his blood work done, maybe right around when I first started going Primal (took a while to get him on the bandwagon). His HDL and LDL were both in the mid-70s and his triglycerides didn't even register. He just basically had no cholesterol. Just a few months ago, he had his blood work done again, after going fairly strictly Primal (he loves bacon-n-eggs for breakfast and uncured organic beef hot dogs for lunch). His cholesterol went up: 205 with HDL:105 and LDL:91. Basically, his profile looks exactly like mine. When he went in for his physical, the doctor said, and I quote, "Whatever you're doing, keep doing it."

So for us, yep, all that Primal stuff has been working, and it works better the stricter we are. But I wouldn't necessarily hope to end up with overall numbers that have the medical community jumping for joy. Our doctor is happy because our cholesterol is only high because our good stuff is through the roof.

peril is offline Senior Member
    You might want to search the many threads on these boards that discuss cholesterol. I wish I could promise you that being 100% compliant to a primal diet will lower your cholesterol, but for many of us that isn't so.

OTOH, there is much in the literature to suggest that total cholesterol is a very poor marker of disease. Rather HDL/Total and Trig/HDL ratios are much better markers. LDL-P (particle count) is perhaps the best marker, with ApoB being a good surrogate for it. Even if your total is high, if these are markers are good then you have nothing about which to worry.

BTW, having had a heart attack I've researched this extensively. I'm comfortable with a total of around 7 mmol/L (about 280mg/dL) and am drug free
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    A few things:

One- exercise has a HUGE impact on cholesterol levels. A year ago I had my cholesterol tested before and after doing 90 days of the P90X program. Here are my stats, the first number is prior to starting the program, the second number is 90 days later:

Total Cholesterol: 265 / 184
    Triglycerides: 136 / 44
    HDL: 67 / 68
    LDL: 187 /127

That was 3 months, very little change in my diet and no meds. My doctor said meds generally make only a 20 point difference in someone's TC, I dropped mine 81 points just using exercise.

Second: Coffee and alcohol can both drive cholesterol up because of their impact on the liver. Many people don't realize that the oils in coffee impact cholesterol. Drip coffee is healthier than espresso for that reason- the filter absorbs some of the oils. If you drink coffee or alcohol you might consider cutting them entirely to see what impact that has.

Third: I just had my cholesterol tested again, after a month of being primal. This is my numbers. The only number that went up was my triglycerides, and actually my doctor told me they were too low on my last test and to up my intake of things like nuts and avocado to bump them up.

Total cholesterol: 180
    TriglyceridesL 85
    HLD: 70
    LDL: 100

So please note that my TC went down, my HDL went up, and my LDL went down on the Primal Blueprint diet. For the record, I am doing another round of P90X concurrently so diet is just part of the package.

So before you let conventional "wisdom" convince you that eating this way is bad, I say try it for yourself. Get your bloodwork done. Do the diet for 3 months. Get your bloodwork done again.
    Last edited by EagleRiverDee; 01-05-2013 at 07:47 PM.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

andrewballa is offline Junior Member
    good, I wish I could promise you that being 100% compliant to a primal diet will lower your cholesterol, thanks for your sharing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast