Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why am I not sleeping well page

goinggrok is offline Senior Member

Why am I not sleeping well

Shop Now
    I was eating primal Leptin Reset after 2 rounds of HCG...I fell off the wagon mid November till January. I gained 7 lbs (not bad) and the usual, bloated, constipated (I know TMI) etc. Since Jan 1 I have been very good, have dropped 6 lbs already (under the 50 grams of carbs I have been).

But...

I am sleeping terrible (I know my cortisol is out of wack) It was good there for a while, but has returned as usual, being high in the evening. I even take melatonin (ususally works) but not lately. I can't fall asleep and when I do I sleep terrible.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

sarasue624 is offline Senior Member
    Try eating 0 carb during the day and moving your 50 carbs to right before bedtime. If you don't feel like eating during the day, don't, or push your eating as much as possible to that last meal so you feel stuffed and sleepy right before bed.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sarasue624 View Post
    Try eating 0 carb during the day and moving your 50 carbs to right before bedtime. If you don't feel like eating during the day, don't, or push your eating as much as possible to that last meal so you feel stuffed and sleepy right before bed.
    You know what I love about this response? It is so totally 180 degrees from CW and yet it's perfectly logical and it works.

So, +1
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goinggrok View Post
    I was eating primal Leptin Reset after 2 rounds of HCG...I fell off the wagon mid November till January. I gained 7 lbs (not bad) and the usual, bloated, constipated (I know TMI) etc. Since Jan 1 I have been very good, have dropped 6 lbs already (under the 50 grams of carbs I have been).

But...

I am sleeping terrible (I know my cortisol is out of wack) It was good there for a while, but has returned as usual, being high in the evening. I even take melatonin (ususally works) but not lately. I can't fall asleep and when I do I sleep terrible.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks
    One problem is you're taking melatonin. Melatonin is a mediator made from tryptophan, and precursor to serotonin.

"Many health foods stores are now selling melatonin, to induce sleep and “prevent cancer.” They have taken some information out of context, and don’t realize how dangerous melatonin is. It makes the brain sluggish, causes sex organs to shrink, and damages immunity by shrinking the thymus gland. It suppresses thyroid and progesterone, and increases estrogen. It is the hormone of darkness and winter, and is produced in the pineal gland by any stress which increases adrenalin. Adequate sunlight suppresses the formation of melatonin." - Ray Peat

Have you tried red light therapy? And up your carb intake in general. Salt and a carb heavy snacks/meals right before bedtime definitely help with sleep. So does gelatin.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    I had the same sleep problems for the first several months of going Paleo but I didn't feel tired during the day. I sleep fine now
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Thanks for all the comments.
    I usually do just a protein breakfast and then I eat a salad and protein for dinner. I will put a small carb in there. I still want to work on my weight loss. Not quite where I want to be yet
    I didn't realize that melatonin was so bad for you. I thought it was better than most. Thanks for the info Derpamix.

Thanks JoanieL will try it.
    Scott...I guess I also need to just push thru it!

fresa is offline Member
    I agree with upping the carbs, particularly in the evening. I know that helps me personally. As far the melatonin goes, I don't use it and don't know much about it, but make sure you do your research regarding that sort of thing. I know any sort of addition like that makes me nervous, as I imagine there might be a way to fix it with diet. If it works for you feel free to continue, as I know nothing about it. But if it is not working any more, other options might be more successful
    Last edited by fresa; 01-05-2013 at 08:32 PM.

andrewballa is offline Junior Member
    me too,usually do just a protein breakfast and then I eat a salad and protein for dinner. I will put a small carb in there.thanks

richard is offline Senior Member
    how's stuff like allergies? Any blood pressure issues? Digestive problems in your past history?

How much exercise are you getting?

Quote Originally Posted by richard View Post
    how's stuff like allergies? Any blood pressure issues? Digestive problems in your past history?

How much exercise are you getting?
    Allergies...none that I know of...if there is..its very suttle.
    No blood pressure, I am optimal/normal
    No digestive...again none that make it note worthy.
    Exercise...well thats a work in progress for me. Occasional walks, once in a while exercise bike/x country skiing. I do lift 10 lb weight approx 5 reps of different positions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast