Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Frustrated... Lets eat seasonally then. page

Earthy Mama is offline Senior Member

Frustrated... Lets eat seasonally then.

WAY too many search results came up, so I'm starting a thread on this for me, hope you don't mind!

Two years ago I was explaining how cavemen would eat meat in the winter and then wait until spring and summer and gorge on meat and all the fresh produce, and then winter would come and they'd just stick with meat (and rare seasonal fruit/veggies).

Funny how I didn't think of that since being paleo on/off the past year. Is this what people mean when they say they are eating seasonally?

If so, would this be optimal for 1.) weight loss and 2.) killing yeast (associated with alcohol that's been cut down to 1x a wk).
    Earthy Mama's Journal

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" ~ Hippocrates

pattyloo is offline Junior Member
    Hi - New poster here, trying to figure out how to get started eating primal/paleo (is that the same thing?). so much info on this forum. and here the seasonal eating is a new wrinkle. would love to find a post that just gets me started on what to eat starting today.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I believe it would be optimal for health.....so if you need to lose weight or kill yeast then it should be on the right course.

They also call it eating locally (guess some locals could be using greenhouses thought). So the eat seasonally gig has two great results. One, is the seasonality of your eating that will naturally make you eat a different variety of foods in different seasons. The other is choosing local products that are fresher and more nutrient dense than those shipped thousands of miles from chile or some such place.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pattyloo View Post
    Hi - New poster here, trying to figure out how to get started eating primal/paleo (is that the same thing?). so much info on this forum. and here the seasonal eating is a new wrinkle. would love to find a post that just gets me started on what to eat starting today.
    Start here Definitive Guide: The Primal Blueprint | Mark's Daily Apple

Then here: The Primal Blueprint Diagrams | Mark's Daily Apple

But really you should buy the book. Good luck!

pattyloo is offline Junior Member
    Hi - thanks, i've ordered the book online, but won't have it til next week. thanks for these links so i can get started...ok, yeah, i've read the first one already. i guess i really need to plan this out myself, using these guidelines, rather than expect a set 'here's what you eat on day 1' type of thing. i was reading someone's journal today, and they talked about counting the # of macros, calories, etc, so by the end of the day they had a certain amount. sounds a bit complicated. i think i'll just try to eat from the shopping list until i get the book and have a better understanding....and reading the 2nd link you gave me is a big help. this is what i'm looking for.
    Last edited by pattyloo; 01-05-2013 at 08:15 AM.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pattyloo View Post
    At the top of the page, right underneath Mark's picture, is a button that says, "Start Here". Start there.

I think the part of eating seasonally that affects most people is eating vegetables and fruits when they are in season- apples and pumpkins in the fall, stone fruits in the summer, berries mostly in the early summer, etc. This means you don't bother with buying "fresh" tomatoes in the winter at all, or greens, in many places.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Eating seasonally in Southern California is just eating abundant veggies and fruit all the time and enjoying peaches and fresh figs for the brief time they are available in summer.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

sarasue624 is offline Senior Member
    I question the idea that "cavemen" would only go for meat in the winter. I suppose it depends on whether they were traveling or holed up in a cave all winter. If they were holed up in a cave I'd expect them to have stockpiled tubers.

My farm folk grandparents stockpiled sweet potatoes and onions for winter. They lasted perfectly on the cool floor of a cellar all winter. There's probably a reason meat and potato stew is considered winter food.

I'd also expect to get the true benefit of eating seasonally (if you live in a place with distinct seasons) you'd need to turn your thermostat way down in winter - especially overnight, sleep with the windows open in summer and avoid air conditioning.

All of which isn't to say you shouldn't eat seasonally. Eating local is ideal - but for reasons other than perfect health/weight loss in the modern world.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    I do eat seasonally, and will even more so when I get some health issues squared away (the variation from few to large amounts of carbs is still a bit too much for me right now, but my kids & hubby are doing it). I absolutely think stored produce is a part of the picture. Tubers, winter squashes, apples all keep very easily well into winter.

I also keep my thermostat low, eat breakfast on the deck every morning no matter the temp, eat dinner outside 9 months out of the year (even when it's 95 degrees, even when it's 55), and enjoy making use of the naturally cold bodies of water year-round. Cold adaptation rocks.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I can't say that I consciously eat seasonally, but I'm noticing that I haven't really been in the mood for much fruit since the cold weather started. Also, when it comes to produce, especially with the price of organic produce, I shop deals, so I think I might be eating what's abundant at any given time of the year. Major exception is tomato, which I eat in various forms all year 'round.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast