Thread: doctor told me to feed my kid tofu! page

girlhk is offline Senior Member

doctor told me to feed my kid tofu!

Primal Fuel
    I posted before about my dd not eating much solids. She's 18.5 months old now-- still not eating much. She's gaining weight steadily, though rather thin.

I took dd in for routine vaccinations last week, and when the pediatrician learned that I wasn't supplementing with formula or infant cereal, and that dd didn't like dairy, she said she was concerned about dd's calcium levels. It's not the first time I've been told breastmilk is deficient in certain nutrients beyond 12 months. We live in tropical weather and dd is out in the sun for hours a day.

Anyway, so the ped said I should feed dd tofu for calcium. Of course, I didn't take her seriously. My sister was with me though, and the message she got was that my dd isn't eating enough to meet her growing needs (which is what everyone thinks, lol).

Just wanted to rant! Who can we trust for nutritional advice??!

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    Is your daughter growing on her own curve and meeting milestones? If so, tell everyone to shove it (nicely, ha.)

P.S. Find a new ped.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Tofu is one vile food-like substance. What really makes me mad is that some drs. make it sound as if we somehow have to eat fake foods.
    ~Steps off the soap box.....~

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    idk, tofu only has calcium because it is fortified. I have the same opinion of fortified foods that I do of multivitamins.

If you are concerned, you can see if your kid likes the coconut milk "tonic" that WAPF advocates, here's the recipe: http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/...ilk-tonic.html .

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I know it's hard to think fast under those circumstances, but it would have been so cool to have gotten a look of horror on your face and yelled, "Are you trying to kill her?"
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

sbufton is offline Junior Member

Argh!

How obnoxious. I wish pediatricians would educate themselves about breastmilk. After all, they are doctors for children, and children should be having breastmilk. If she was educated, she would know that the composition of breastmilk changes from feed to feed based on baby's needs, and that the milk is more like colostrum by that age and so very rich, and very beneficial to your toddler's health. In fact, how could a doctor of all people try to make the case the tofu is going to provide something that your own milk is not??? SO frustrating. I don't take my children to doctors/health visitors/etc and they have all been different. None are vaccinated which is partly why they are never at the doctors in the first place. I would say that you need to follow your instincts and if you know your baby is thriving and you have no concerns, I would give zero thought to it. My third child ate not a morsel of food until well after he was one year old, has always been on the skinny side and has less of an appetite than the others, but is totally healthy. I know if I let myself worry about it I'd be causing a problem where there wasn't one. If you are still breastfeeding and your baby is well and progressing normally I think you're doing great and don't worry!

Quote Originally Posted by girlhk View Post
    I posted before about my dd not eating much solids. She's 18.5 months old now-- still not eating much. She's gaining weight steadily, though rather thin.

I took dd in for routine vaccinations last week, and when the pediatrician learned that I wasn't supplementing with formula or infant cereal, and that dd didn't like dairy, she said she was concerned about dd's calcium levels. It's not the first time I've been told breastmilk is deficient in certain nutrients beyond 12 months. We live in tropical weather and dd is out in the sun for hours a day.

Anyway, so the ped said I should feed dd tofu for calcium. Of course, I didn't take her seriously. My sister was with me though, and the message she got was that my dd isn't eating enough to meet her growing needs (which is what everyone thinks, lol).

Just wanted to rant! Who can we trust for nutritional advice??!

RaeVynn is offline Senior Member
    An excellent source of calcium is tahini. Sesame seed butter. not perhaps the best source if you are avoiding seeds for any reason, but if not, it works well.

Also bone broth. Dark green leafy veggies (blended into a smoothie?).

cruncan is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joaniel View Post
    i know it's hard to think fast under those circumstances, but it would have been so cool to have gotten a look of horror on your face and yelled, "are you trying to kill her?"
    bahahah
    Hustle for Happiness, Hustle for Love, Hustle for Health, Hustle for Wealth, Hustle for Muscle

http://www.hustleformuscle.com