Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TMI about digesting rice page

jammies is offline Senior Member

TMI about digesting rice

Primal Fuel
    My apologies for the TMI here but I have a question about digestion.

I have added plain white rice in to my diet in the last few months for a number of reasons. I have noticed that quite a lot of the rice passes through me completely undigested.

Is that normal for rice? Or does it suggest that I have poor digestion?
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Primal123 is offline Senior Member
    does not sound normal in my experience.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    No thats not normal for rice. Yes it indicates that there is something amiss in your ability to digest it. Have you tried cooking the hell out of it? If it's undercooked that could definitely be an issue.

For my little boy, anything that passes through his tract undigested we removed from his diet. He's got some sensitivities. We may try reintroduction at other points, but we remove the offending item for at least a few months at a time.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 01-05-2013 at 06:38 AM.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Sounds more like you're not chewing your food. Mastication is the first step in digestion, you know~

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Not normal. I can't digest corn, bean skins, blueberry skins, and a bunch of similar stuff, but (last time I checked), I could digest rice. You'll want to look into why your gut isn't handling it well.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I have the same (is it a problem?) with nuts.
    Sonds as if you are not properly digesting rice. Have you noticed that before?
    I would start with chewing more thoroughly.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Thanks everyone!

I do have the same problem with nuts, but I rarely eat them because they cause inflammation for me.

I feel like I chew my food well, but I guess that can't really be the case if it is coming out whole.

What types of issues lead to poor digestion. I am thinking of having a stool analysis done soon to assess digestive function. Anything else that can be tried? I have been paleo for a couple of years, but still have issues with low energy sometimes and have developed pretty severe depression and anxiety in the last few months. Wondering if that could be related?
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    It might be worth investigating impaired amylose secretion in your saliva, as you say that you chew your food well. It sounds like you have significant issues with your digestion and would benefit from advice from an expert.

Also you may need to eliminate foods that are irritating your gut.

I have been able to identify sweetcorn and certain vegetables passing out about 16 hours later ... however, I have never been able to identify white rice at the other end.

Your depression and anxiety suggest gut dysbiosis ... also potential knock-on effects from a low-carb diet, if that's how you are eating.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

cookie is offline Senior Member
    oh man. depression and anxiety are for SURE huge contributors to poor digestion. you know, when you feel stress... that butterflies in the stomach feeling.. or that panicky rush from rage.. or that warm feeling in your arms and legs,... that's the blood rushing around for fight-or-flight response. when that happens, non-essential function of the body stops. breastfeeding women may drop their milk let-down reflex for a few hours (been there, many times), men lose the ability to have an erection for several hours, anyone can lose the ability to properly move food through the bowel at appropriate time causing too fast or too slow motility. this can make the "tougher stuff to digest" -enuts coconut, flax, veg and fruit skin, rice, oats, you get it.. things like that com out whole.. they don't have time to hang out with those important enzymes because they're moving at a different rate.
    i've been told this by doctors and shrinks alike.
    my 2 cents: relax! go for a walk, do breathing exercises, talk to people who piss you off, identify your anxiety sources and confront it.
    i'm sure there are other explanations that can make sense here, but this was my experience.

SECOND possibility: are you cooking your rice through and through? i mean, really.. my husband "cooks" rice for me occasionally, and holy toledo... NOT cooked. try soaking.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Thanks everyone!

I do have the same problem with nuts, but I rarely eat them because they cause inflammation for me.

I feel like I chew my food well, but I guess that can't really be the case if it is coming out whole.

What types of issues lead to poor digestion. I am thinking of having a stool analysis done soon to assess digestive function. Anything else that can be tried? I have been paleo for a couple of years, but still have issues with low energy sometimes and have developed pretty severe depression and anxiety in the last few months. Wondering if that could be related?
    With the last three symptoms, I would for sure get a free T3 & reverse T3 test.

Metametrix GI effects test is ideal for total digestive function test, IMO. Worth its weight in gold. First, b/c the biggest cause of digestion problems is wheat intolerance, and my test told me in no uncertain terms that having wheat one time a month was slowly killing me. I had severe fat malabsorption, positive antibodies against wheat, & vegetable maldigestion, as well. I was working so hard to obtain & consume the best meats, fat, & veggies, and was getting only a small portion of the benefit! (That test also showed that my gut flora was actually not all that horrible, and that pancreas/digestive enzymes were fine in my case.)

When you get damage that bad, you can start having problems with dairy & other foods, too. So even after you stop eating the wheat, you can still have poor digestion of everything if you're having dairy, even the best dairy (as I was - high fat, fermented, raw, grassfed).

Once you identify what's causing the problems and eliminate those foods, it can be helpful to go on a gut-healing diet, like SCD, GAPS, or Kruse's EPCOTx.

I know it sucks to think about it, but not digesting a simple starch like rice is most likely the tip of the iceberg of a much broader problem overall.

It could be as simple as needing some digestive enzymes. Or hypothyroid causing poor digestive function. That's why a test like GI Effects (and, of course, the free T3) can be worth every penny in the time, effort, money, & rabbit holes it saves you from wandering from one solution that doesn't work for you to another.

I wish you the best in trying to figure out what's going on for you. Do *not* ignore those last three symptoms - they are part of this picture!
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast