Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TMI about digesting rice page 2

Primal123 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    So not wanting to hijack the thread here but I have a spin off question is it "normal" to experience this with nuts say like almonds? I have noticed when using almond flour for baking if I indulge in say an almond flour cookie or two there is evidence left behind that I have been indulging. I initially thought it was a fiber thing but now I am wondering....
    Last edited by Primal123; 01-06-2013 at 12:21 PM.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    I don't digest nuts, either. I think it's hard for all mammals to digest nuts, seeds, & grains, b/c these all come with a mechanism to allow it to pass through undigested, out the other side, & sprout when they land in the dirt. That's why traditional societies always sprouted, soaked, or fermented them.

Even then, if your digestion is off, it can be tough. I don't know enough to say whether seeing bits of nuts is abnormal or not, if they're not "properly prepared." It's certainly one sign to take into account with the context of the rest of your digestive healthy (and the rest of it, b/c the rest of health goes downhill if you can't get the nutrients out of the food you eat).
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Primal123 is offline Senior Member
    Interesting, thanks. I do think I have trouble absorbing iron and b vitamins from food. Despite a clean, organic diet, I need to supplement regularly. Once I stop I quickly show signs I have forgotten my supplements. I have food allergies (or intolerances) not sure which exactly. Hmm Things to ponder.

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    With the last three symptoms, I would for sure get a free T3 & reverse T3 test.

Metametrix GI effects test is ideal for total digestive function test, IMO. Worth its weight in gold. First, b/c the biggest cause of digestion problems is wheat intolerance, and my test told me in no uncertain terms that having wheat one time a month was slowly killing me. I had severe fat malabsorption, positive antibodies against wheat, & vegetable maldigestion, as well. I was working so hard to obtain & consume the best meats, fat, & veggies, and was getting only a small portion of the benefit! (That test also showed that my gut flora was actually not all that horrible, and that pancreas/digestive enzymes were fine in my case.)

When you get damage that bad, you can start having problems with dairy & other foods, too. So even after you stop eating the wheat, you can still have poor digestion of everything if you're having dairy, even the best dairy (as I was - high fat, fermented, raw, grassfed).

Once you identify what's causing the problems and eliminate those foods, it can be helpful to go on a gut-healing diet, like SCD, GAPS, or Kruse's EPCOTx.

I know it sucks to think about it, but not digesting a simple starch like rice is most likely the tip of the iceberg of a much broader problem overall.

It could be as simple as needing some digestive enzymes. Or hypothyroid causing poor digestive function. That's why a test like GI Effects (and, of course, the free T3) can be worth every penny in the time, effort, money, & rabbit holes it saves you from wandering from one solution that doesn't work for you to another.

I wish you the best in trying to figure out what's going on for you. Do *not* ignore those last three symptoms - they are part of this picture!
    Just curious, how much does the metametrix gi effects cost and where do you get it done? I visited their web site but couldn't find costs listed, and I'm in NY state, which is subject to different billing according to their site.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    I can't remember, I'm sorry! I don't remember if I ordered it from their site, either. Try clicking on a few google hits and see if you can find someone offering it.

NY State. Sigh. No medical freedom there at all. I'd go nuts. I order my own labs all the time and there are always notes from the companies: "Can't buy this if you're in NY, yada yada yada."
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    NY = little to no freedom, period.

Thanks, I'll ask my Paleo doc about it. She is happy to order or do any testing I think is necessary to try and figure things out. Hopefully she'll know about this.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12