Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: High blood pressure and PB? page

FairyRae is offline Senior Member

High blood pressure and PB?

Primal Fuel
    Do any of you have experience w/ high blood pressure, and have you found eating primally has helped this? Any stories to share or links to info on this topic would be appreciated!!

My dad (59, mostly SAD eater although does eat more real food than most and uses butter, not focused on low fat etc...) just got diagnosed w/ high blood pressure. I'm sure they'll want to put him on meds or give him a recommended diet that is a bunch of crap, and would just love to offer an alternative. He is totally a big carb/gluten eater, which I'm sure is all part of this. I'd just love to find some heart/blood pressure specific info related to the PB way of eating to share w/ him...

Also, I believe his trig levels are high, but that was from a test months ago, so not sure what the numbers are like now.

Checking out Griff's awesome cholesterol post as well as it seems totally related.

Thanks in advance folks!

Griff is offline Senior Member
    According to the Drs. Eades (proteinpower.com) hyperinsulinemia is related not just to Type II diabetes but also to high blood pressure. Check out their original book on this topic.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

periquin is offline Senior Member
    Would I be practicing medicine without a license if I recommended checking for Magnesium before embarking on a lifelong reliance on meds? Not a simple blood test, since the body works to maintain Mg in the blood at the expense of the cells which need it. Many times Hypertension is due to insufficient Mg. Yet the first thing MD's do is prescribe diuretics to reduce blood volume and thereby blood pressure. The thing is that diuretics also strip the body of Mg, which only necessitates the "need" for stronger dosages of anti-hypertensive meds.

Griff, he's willing to follow the (hedonist version of the) Protein Power Lifeplan diet (for now)--not thinking he'll go fully primal/paleo/grain free (yet). I luckily have the book and am getting him all the info I caqn on it right now!

Periquin, he was given water pills today, and told to take one a day starting now b/c of the hypertension. His blood pressure upon entering the hospital yesterday was 190/106. It was lower when leaving, but still high. I'm planning (from the reading I've done) to have him start taking mag for sure (400-600 mg a day, would you rec more to start?), CoQ10, vit E,C, and probably D...maybe others. He'll be taking the water pills for now (would you not do this? or take them at the moment and wean a bit later?)

Thanks again for all the help guys!!!!!!! Any recs welcome, any "if it was me, I would do ______", I'd LOVE to read!

Jokaman70 is offline Senior Member
    I've been hypertensive my whole life, even when I was at a more normal weight.

Less than 2 months after cutting out grains and sugar my BP dropped from 170/110 to 145/78 - and I still add salt to my foods. It's been a couple months since I last checked it but I'm sure it fallen further.
    I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

Mirrorball is offline Senior Member
    My mum still eats rice, but she cut out other grains, dairy and sugar and her BP dropped. She is now taking only half a pill on alternate days.
    Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
    Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
    No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
    Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

Thanks for the info folks!!! Great to hear primal living is helping!

This has become even more important for me to look into as my husband just checked his blood pressure and it is in the stage 1 hypertension range (144/92). It's just one reading, and we'll be sure to check more (he just did it at the grocery store) to see if this is a consistent reading... He is very far from being primal (by choice, believe me I sing the praises of PB style eating/living all the time!), and we both think he's gluten sensitive. (He actually just really went gf yesterday for real, and I'm hopeful he'll stick w/ it!) Maybe this is the incentive he needs to try living a more primal lifestyle...

I'll keep you all posted on how all this turns out for my dad. I'm really hopeful some diet changes and added supps will make a difference!

Sharonll is offline Senior Member
    Just wanted to chime in and say that I've been hypertensive and on medication for the last 35 years. I was in intensive care just before the birth of my youngest daughter with a BP of 255/160. The hospital staff figured I should be dead already. For the last 12 years I've been on two different medications. Since going primal last September, I've been able to drop the beta blocker and I'm cutting the diuretic in half. When I next donate blood in 6 weeks, if my blood pressure is what it was 2 weeks ago -- 118/90-- I'll drop the half a pill as well. I've only lost 30 pounds, wit 70 more to go, so it's not the weight as much as it is the healthy eating.

periquin is offline Senior Member
    Magnesium: Too much leads to diarrhea. Not enough leads to many problems in our bodies--Hypertension being only one of them.

Vegetarian diets tend to lower blood pressure. My opinion is that it is NOT due to eliminating meat, but due to an increase in fruits and vegetables, which are a major source of two blood pressure regulators, potassium and chromium. Eating sugar tends to deplete chromium.

The first step in established Japanese medicine to treat HT is to eat at least four stalks of celery daily. Garlic is also good to lower blood pressure. I've read that hawthorn is used fairly extensively to treat HT in Europe.

Exercise lowers blood pressure!

Jokaman70 is offline Senior Member
    I just checked my blood pressure today and in less than 4 months it's dropped from 170/110 down to 125/78. No meds.
    I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast