Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safe Ways to Take Hot Food On-The-Go? page

2ndChance is offline Senior Member

Safe Ways to Take Hot Food On-The-Go?

Primal Fuel
    Hey all,

It's been awhile since I've been in here--I've been trying to cut down my screen-time to be closer to Grok's zero... But as winter break winds to an end, I'm looking ahead to the full schedule of school and work that's coming next week. By which I mean, I'm thinking about how to best manage my eating to get through long days.

I need some input on how to transport hot food safely. If I make rice in the morning (yes, I'm eating rice again, it keeps me full like nothing else I've found, it's gluten free, pretty low on the Grain Threat Scale IMO and quite easy on the college student pocketbook) I don't have time to wait for it to cool so I can take it in a Rubbermaid container.

What products do you guys use to take hot food with you to school, work, etc.? I have some giftcards to spend, so price isn't an issue. I'm thinking there has to be some Thermos-type thing, maybe something with a stainless steel lining...? What's worked for you, what hasn't?

Thanks!

EDIT: I should add, I don't care if the food is cold by the time I eat it. I just don't want to eat melted plastic.
    Last edited by 2ndChance; 01-04-2013 at 01:39 PM.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I've used bento boxes if I don't care if the food gets cold, and I've used stainless steel Thermos containers to keep hot foods hot. Prime your thermos with some boiling water before you put your food in, and it should keep it that way for a long time. Of course, I've done this with watery foods and not rice, but you should be fine using it for anything.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    After some Amazon searching, the Bento box seems to be the best thing out there, with 4 separate compartments... It's pricey but it's so darn handy that it makes me want to rethink my lunches to best take advantage of it.

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Zojirushi SL-JAE14 Mr. Bento Stainless Steel Lunch Jar, Silver

I'm guessing the one thing I couldn't expect it to do is keep hot food warm in one container and salad cold in another... but that's a lot to ask...

Edit: Some of the lower star reviews point out flaws, though... the exterior is steel, but apparently the dishes in which the actual food goes are plastic. That's a deal breaker for me... back to the drawing board..
    Last edited by 2ndChance; 01-04-2013 at 02:23 PM.

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    I have three of these and use them to pack lunches for the kids and hubby---they have a built in metal spoon in the lid---love them!
    Amazon.com: Thermos Stainless King 16-Ounce Food Jar, Midnight Blue: Kitchen & Dining
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

Cwick is offline Junior Member
    I just use glass pyrex tupperware...

Him
    Him is offline Senior Member
    The zoji Mr be to is clever but overkill. I have one and use it from time to time but for just rice either a vacuum food jar or the aforementioned pyrex dish w/ lid is far more cost effective.

Around here, Asian markets have metal container sets like ranging from single boxes to stacks like this: Amazon.com: To-Go Ware 3-Tier Stainless Steel Food Carrier: Home & Kitchen

dirk41 is offline Senior Member
    Definitely look into Pyrex

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I have that Bento thing. It's way overkill plus it doesn't keep things very hot. What works better is the Thermos lunch jar.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 175 x 3. Current Deadlift: 225 x 3

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by solstice View Post
    I have three of these and use them to pack lunches for the kids and hubby---they have a built in metal spoon in the lid---love them!
    Amazon.com: Thermos Stainless King 16-Ounce Food Jar, Midnight Blue: Kitchen & Dining

We use these too. I have gotten all of them at Target in the camping aisle, for $13.00.
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

sarasue624 is offline Senior Member
    I'm confused. Why do you have to have hot rice in the morning? Rice can cook up in really big batches - you don't have to cook it from scratch every morning.

Do you not have access to a microwave or are anti-microwave?

I like cold rice that has had butter melted in it when it was warm. Sounds gross, but cold rice with cold scrambled egg mixed in is an excellent breakfast on the run.

I take my morning (hot) coffee in a mason jar with a coozie around it - that way I can toss it in my bookbag and it won't leak everywhere like most thermoses will. Camping thermoses often have dodgy materials... and I'm cheap. So it's something to think about. I reuse glass mason jars that salsas and coconut oils come in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast