Thread: Fat-Adaption vs. Ketosis page

BeatlesFan is offline Member

Fat-Adaption vs. Ketosis

Primal Fuel
    Sup all! I've been doing keto for a couple of months and I love it. It overlaps perfectly with primal eating and I feel great when I'm doing it. I also like to do IF and alternate day fasting when in ketosis because it's great for fat loss. My question comes up because my aunt has decided to lose weight as a new years resolution and came to me with this: Lose Weight by Fasting | Men's Health.

I'm not sure on it exactly but I think it's just an 8 hour eating window plan. I told her to GO FOR IT!! Skipping breakfast was a great move for me when it came to my diet, I would never go back.

My question is: is there a difference becoming fat-adapted and ketosis? I feel like one has to be in ketosis to reap the full benefits of IF. I am concerned that my aunt will get sick/no energy for job kinda thing that people complain about when skipping breakfast. I strongly recommended this site, however I feel like I can't really recommend ketosis because it is too extreme (not imo but for many). What advice should I give her ???? HELP!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    IF is usually level 2 stuff round here. It can be stressful if she's got metabolic syndrome. Not saying she can't give it a go, but the general advice is to follow the basic PB for a while and get comfortable with that before you move on to IF'ing and such.

BeatlesFan is offline Member
    I doubt she has metabolic syndrome. She eats pretty healthy for the most part and upon seeing her, you wouldnt' say she needs to lose weight

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Being fat adapted (see Mark's post about being a "Fat Burning Beast") doesn't necessarily mean ketosis. It just means the metabolic flexibility to switch back and forth between glucose and ketones as fuel.

I stay in ketosis most of the time and I find that it makes IFing not just easy but actually necessary. I couldn't eat three meals a day if I tried.

I think the test should be if she can skip a meal without any feelings of getting weak, dizzy, shaky, etc. Then she is a Fat Burning Beast and IF will be great for her. If she wants to take it further into ketosis, that is a whole 'nother discussion.